Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: French Press Coffee

  1. #1
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,266

    French Press Coffee

    Does anyone make coffee using a French Press? I got one for Christmas and it makes the best coffee by far! Of all the coffee makers I've owned, and I've owned some really good coffee makers, this one is may favorite.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,395

    Re: French Press Coffee

    I have one. Works pretty well.

    I have a percolator that I use mostly because it keeps the coffee hotter.

    I use a coarse grind in both.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  4. #3
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,994

    Re: French Press Coffee

    I used one for most of the 90's until I broke three in a span of six months, the last one broke whilst I was pressing it, splattered hot coffee all over my leg, second degree burns.

    Be careful and check for cracks.

    Now I use a cone filter one cup setup.

  5. #4
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,259

    Re: French Press Coffee

    Not long ago, I was asked by a party hostess if I've ever tried a French press.

    My hopes were greatly stirred up till I realized she were talking about coffee.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: French Press Coffee

    I had one, but I must have been grinding the beans to fine. There was just a bit too much grind in the coffee for my taste. I could never find the right way. I now have a stovetop Moka pot and I really enjoy that.

  7. #6
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,395

    Re: French Press Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not long ago, I was asked by a party hostess if I've ever tried a French press.

    My hopes were greatly stirred up till I realized she were talking about coffee.
    Was she serving these too?


    The innuendo would have been too much to take.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: French Press Coffee

    I have used a French Press to make coffee for about 15 years. I had problems for a few years with cracking after what seemed to be a relatively short time, but the current one I use has been acceptable.

  9. #8
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,084

    Re: French Press Coffee

    http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Columbia...&s=home-garden

    This one has worked great for me for a year. Stainless steel....no cracking to worry about. I agree w/the above though, press coffee is the most delicious, flavorful, pure, hair-putting on your chest coffee you will ever have.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: French Press Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Columbia...&s=home-garden

    This one has worked great for me for a year. Stainless steel....no cracking to worry about. I agree w/the above though, press coffee is the most delicious, flavorful, pure, hair-putting on your chest coffee you will ever have.
    I really appreciate your mention and web-link to this product. I didn't know it existed and its really well-designed. Thanks.

  11. #10
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    In the Ether
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: French Press Coffee

    This is the best coffee maker I've ever had.
    Stovetop Espresso Maker
    I've tried the French Press, but really prefer the simple stovetop espresso maker. I was introduced to it in Germany in 1981 by a beautiful Italian woman...she really loved her coffee in the morning. The girl has since been replaced, but the coffee maker I keep going back to...
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 01-21-2007 at 12:38 AM.

    "Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: French Press Coffee

    I have to revise my opinion of the French press. Previously I didn't care for it, but the one I had wasn't a particularly good one. I found a decent one this weekend for a good price and decided to give it another go. Much to my surprise, I would have to agree with you Yachtzee, it is wonderful. It really helps me during the week, because my wife doesn't drink coffee, or I should say doesn't routinely drink it. This is nice, since I can make a cup or two for myself, where my electric drip machine doesn't seem to do well with just a couple of cups of coffee.

  13. #12
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,395

    Re: French Press Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    This is the best coffee maker I've ever had.
    Stovetop Espresso Maker
    I've tried the French Press, but really prefer the simple stovetop espresso maker. I was introduced to it in Germany in 1981 by a beautiful Italian woman...she really loved her coffee in the morning. The girl has since been replaced, but the coffee maker I keep going back to...
    Well, when you find a good espresso maker, you have to stick with it, Scorp.
    I have a Bellman....
    http://www.coffee-makers-espresso-ma...instovtop.html
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  14. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,994

    Re: French Press Coffee

    I use this



    Perfect for the one person coffee home.

  15. #14
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,266

    Re: French Press Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    I have to revise my opinion of the French press. Previously I didn't care for it, but the one I had wasn't a particularly good one. I found a decent one this weekend for a good price and decided to give it another go. Much to my surprise, I would have to agree with you Yachtzee, it is wonderful. It really helps me during the week, because my wife doesn't drink coffee, or I should say doesn't routinely drink it. This is nice, since I can make a cup or two for myself, where my electric drip machine doesn't seem to do well with just a couple of cups of coffee.
    Sounds like you're in the same situation I am. My wife doesn't drink coffee at all. My drip coffee maker makes pretty good coffee when I make a whole pot, but it's just not the same for a few cups, even with the special 1-4 cup setting. I've found that with the french press, I can make just enough to fill my travel mug and it's great.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  16. #15
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: French Press Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I use this



    Perfect for the one person coffee home.

    I use one of these too, but I do love "french pressed" coffee.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25