Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Liriano won't play in 2007

Liriano won't play in 2007

Played hurt and didn't tell anyone. Seems like a common problem among pitchers.

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano isn't expected to play at all in the 2007 major league season after undergoing surgery on his left elbow last November.

"I won't start to throw until two months from now and I'll do my first bullpen work six months later," he told the Associated Press.

In his rookie season last year, the 23-year-old Liriano went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA before pain in his elbow and shoulder knocked him out of the lineup. In November, doctors transplanted an elbow ligament in a procedure known as Tommy John surgery.

The Dominican native hopes to make his first appearance on the mound in October with the Escogido Lions, a winter league team in Santo Domingo.

Liriano said he started five times while feeling pain, which could have aggravated the injury.

"I decided to tough it out, even though now I know I shouldn't have," Liriano said.

Competing against Roger Clemens, a childhood idol, was one the highlights last season for Liriano.

"That was one of the most emotional games, especially because I was able to win thanks to God," he said.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Liriano won't play in 2007

Its really rare to perform lights out with an injury... seems like usually a pitcher will start playing horrible when he normally isn't and come to find out he was hurt... it's pretty crazy that Liriano was hurt yet still had a 2 something ERA

should have left him in the pen for the remainder of the season. He hadn't thrown all that many minor league innings.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

The true problem is that these kid's do not realize the value they have long term $$$$ wise. All to fast they are labeled not tough or gritty enough. Sadly many of the people in charge of there future's are callous and care about "their" career instead of the long term futures of the kids who put their trust in them.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Agreed completely Topcat. Way too many GM's (although I don't think this was the case with Terry Ryan) will rush a guy that's not even close to the major's just to try and make a last ditch effort to save his own job.

Ex-Tree

The challenge becomes deciding if a kid is ready, and if he is ready--do you use him in the rotation or in the pen? That decision becomes much more difficult if the team is in a pennant race. Maybe we'll have this dilemma with Bailey this summer.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Turn Off Ads?