Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about this photo?

hustle123

Anyone know anything about this photo?

Many of you have probably seen this. I received it for Christmas, and am looking to track down some info.

I am trying to track down the date of this game, perhaps some background on the play, and even whether Rose was safe or out.

Any knowledgeable folks out there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone know anything about this photo?

I don't know anything about this photo, except that it's very famous, and I think it's in the opening credits of Bull Durham.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I have seen this picture before. Thats Perez on the on deck circle and I am thinking by the uniform style its around 1971 or so. Randy Hundley was the cubs catcher then and he wore 9 . The catcher in the photo looks like he has a 2 on the back of his uniform so it must be Hundleys back up
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I'm pretty sure that's Pete Rose in the picture....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It was a day game if that helps you any

J. C. Martin was the cubs catcher on 8/24/71. His uniform number was 12. Just a guess but i am thinking its that game.

Damn I need to get a life
    Last edited by George Anderson; 01-20-2007 at 01:52 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think they sell those on eBay now

Haunted by walks

J. C. Martin was the cubs catcher on 8/24/71. His uniform number was 12. Just a guess but i am thinking its that game.

You're probably right. Rose scored three times that day. Fergie Jenkins is also in a wide crop of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    You're probably right. Rose scored three times that day. Fergie Jenkins is also in a wide crop of the photo.
    What source did you use to find Rose scoring three times??

hustle123

What source did you use to find Rose scoring three times??
    Many thanks for all of the ideas and background -- it does look like the right game. I did find the game boxscore online, and things appear to match up (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=197108240CHN.

I am guessing this photo was one of the three scores, but it could be possible he was thrown out. Tough to tell from the photo where the plate is, etc.

Thanks again to all, anxious to hear if any other ideas pop up.
    Last edited by hustle123; 01-20-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Fixing URL

Quote Originally Posted by hustle123 View Post
    Many thanks for all of the ideas and background -- it does look like the right game. I did find the game boxscore online, and things appear to match up (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=197108240CHN.

am guessing this photo was one of the three scores, but it could be possible he was thrown out. Tough to tell from the photo where the plate is,I etc.
    Thanks again to all, anxious to hear if any other ideas pop up.
    As an umpire I would say he was safe

Joe Gibbon was very effective in that game

Reds pitchers seemed to be head-hunting that day. i wonder if Durocher threw a fit.

I would assume that since Fergie is in the photo and Pete got 3 doubles against him and scored 3 times, then he must have been safe.
    Let's play two!!!

I don't think there is any possible scenerio where he would have been out. There were no errors in the game, so Rose made outs his other 2 AB's.

Turn Off Ads?