Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know anything about this photo?

Re: Anyone know anything about this photo?

It is evident in Pete's eyes that he knew, on some metaphysical level, that Tommy Helms would soon me adorning the yellow, orange, and purple hues whilst toiling for Leo on the lush plastic biosphere with the pre-afro JR Richard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would pay anything to watch Pete Rose play baseball again. That doesn't help your post much, but it's a random, impossible and irrational thought.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I would pay anything to watch Pete Rose play baseball again. That doesn't help your post much, but it's a random, impossible and irrational thought.
    Yep. For all of his shortcomings, Pete was a joy to watch play. No one ever seemed to play the game and to love the competition quite as much as Peter Edward Rose.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yep. For all of his shortcomings, Pete was a joy to watch play. No one ever seemed to play the game and to love the competition quite as much as Peter Edward Rose.

Of all the images I have of Pete as a player, the one that stands out the most was when he moved halfway down the line at third to intimidate Mickey Rivers in the '76 series.

The vision of him setting up there, daring Rivers to hit it by him, was the perfect expression of his career to me. I know the diving head first slide was his trademark. But I'll never forget how cool I thought that strategy was.

This passage taken from a Hall of Fame description of the '76 Series....

"Anderson felt that Munson and Rivers were the main offensive threats, claiming that "if you stop them, the other guys in the lineup aren't as effective." He was right. Though Munson smacked Reds pitchers for a .529 average, they stifled Rivers completely. Rose played way in at third base, as if Rivers were a pitcher preparing to sacrifice, daring him to slash the ball past him. "Sparky told me," Rose reported, "to play him in close, even if I had to shake his hand." Rivers didn't get on base until Game Three, and the first two times he did get on he was picked off first base and doubled off second."

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hi...006/060510.htm
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Of all the images I have of Pete as a player, the one that stands out the most was when he moved halfway down the line at third to intimidate Mickey Rivers in the '76 series.

The vision of him setting up there, daring Rivers to hit it by him, was the perfect expression of his career to me. I know the diving head first slide was his trademark. But I'll never forget how cool I thought that strategy was.
    Pete was never a graceful fielder, especially at third. But I agree: His play in the 1976 World Series perfectly captured the aggression and arrogance with which he played baseball. My memory may be wrong, but I recall Rivers finally hitting a line drive at Pete in one game, which Pete snatched out of the air with a look of "you can't hit it by me."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

This passage taken from a Hall of Fame description of the '76 Series....

"Anderson felt that Munson and Rivers were the main offensive threats, claiming that "if you stop them, the other guys in the lineup aren't as effective." He was right. Though Munson smacked Reds pitchers for a .529 average, they stifled Rivers completely. Rose played way in at third base, as if Rivers were a pitcher preparing to sacrifice, daring him to slash the ball past him. "Sparky told me," Rose reported, "to play him in close, even if I had to shake his hand." Rivers didn't get on base until Game Three, and the first two times he did get on he was picked off first base and doubled off second."

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hi...006/060510.htm
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    My memory may be wrong, but I recall Rivers finally hitting a line drive at Pete in one game, which Pete snatched out of the air with a look of "you can't hit it by me."
    Your memory is fine; that was a classic WS moment. Here's hoping the '76 Series will eventually make it on DVD
    Never overlook the obvious

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Joe Gibbon was very effective in that game
    I just created a whatifsports team based upon the 1971 Reds. I had never heard of Gibbon before and he seemed to have been a decent pitcher in his time. He had a good year for them in 1971. And then suddenly he forgot how to pitch apparently. He was released by both the Reds and Astros in 1972.

Don't know anything about the picture but it sure brings back memories of how hard Rose played.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Doo-Rag View Post
    I don't think there is any possible scenerio where he would have been out. There were no errors in the game, so Rose made outs his other 2 AB's.
    He could have gotten on base via a fielders choice and came around to score the run afterward.

Turn Off Ads?