Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about these 2 guys?

What do you think about these 2 guys?

I know its severe bottom feeding, just wondering would you sign guys like this? I think they worth something.

Arthur Rhodes

Scouting Report by Stats Inc.
    Rhodes still can bring a heater at 90-plus MPH, but his location, and seemingly his confidence have been erratic since he injured his ankle in the middle of the 2003 season. Rhodes does have a decent curve and changeup, but his hard slider, combined with that fastball, is the key to his success. Rhodes holds baserunners very well, as only four of nine would-be thieves have been successful against him since 2000. His defense is even better, as Rhodes has not committed a fielding miscue since 1998.

Dustin Hermanson

Scouting Report by Stats Inc.
    Hermanson doesn't have the velocity he once had, but he can still throw in the mid-90s. With no need to pace himself after moving from the rotation, Hermanson was able to throw as hard as he could. He also used an effective slider while closing. Hermanson might not have the repertoire of other pitchers, but he's a competitor who isn't afraid to throw any pitch at any time.

Dec 9 Rotoworld

The Yankees are reviewing free agent Dustin Hermanson's medical records and could offer him a contract if they like what they see.
    Hermanson might not have to settle for a minor league deal, but he is looking at a pay cut from the $3 million he made last season. If he wants to pitch for a contender, the Yankees are probably his bet. However, he could have a more meaningful role elsewhere.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you think about these 2 guys?

I would off Hermanson a contract with incentives. I would rather have him closing than Weathers and Stanton. No to Rhodes; we have enough lefties in the bullpen.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

I think both would be a good gamble. Rhodes has a world of talent but he never was able to hanlde starting or closing! He would be a great set up lefty! Hermansen would have the potential of being the closer! I am more concerned about the closer on the team that any other position!

Hermanson is originally from the Springfield area FWIW.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

A healthy (or fairly healthy) Hermanson could compete for the closer's role so I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him. He has those Belisle back problems though.

As far as Rhodes goes he wouldn't be a bad addition but we do already have a ton of lefties. He could be a solid pickup if we can jettison Cormier for something.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

No room in the pen. Need a #5 starter.

hollywood mid westerner

isnt dustin hermanson a kent state guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    isnt dustin hermanson a kent state guy?
    Yes, I believe so. He played at Kenton Ridge High School. Also the alma mater of Dave Burba and Rick White. I went to their rival High School. However, after talking to each's coach about a year ago he said Hermanson was the least interested in playing in Ohio. His contact with this coach is slim to none.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Old Red Guard Reject

I'd like to have them both. Both have closed and throw hard. I know throwing hard is far from being the most important thing, but I like to see some guys come in that can break 90 out of the pen from time to time.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

We have no room for relief pitching unless we trade away people we already have. We're currently going to let major league youth rot so that Mike Stanton can get innings.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

How about these 2 guys, sounds like they are in play? This from the enquirer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...420/1071/SPT04

Krivsky won't say much about the Reds' free agent activity, except "there are still some serviceable guys out there."

Two who could fit into the Reds' plans are pitchers Dan Kolb and Tony Armas. Krivsky wouldn't say whether either is on the Reds' list.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

From the Enquirer...

The problem with moving center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. to right field is the injury history of Ryan Freel, his prospective replacement. Freel missed 30 games last year and 59 in 2005.

If Freel's out of the lineup, the best choice to put in the outfield is Jeff Conine, particularly on the days Scott Hatteberg starts at first base.
    Jeff Conine over Chris Denorfia? Thanks for that laugh, John Fay.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    How about these 2 guys, sounds like they are in play? This from the enquirer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...420/1071/SPT04

Krivsky won't say much about the Reds' free agent activity, except "there are still some serviceable guys out there."

Two who could fit into the Reds' plans are pitchers Dan Kolb and Tony Armas. Krivsky wouldn't say whether either is on the Reds' list.

that article was a bunch of tripe...

here's some gems:
    *********The problem with moving center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. to right field is the injury history of Ryan Freel, his prospective replacement......If Freel's out of the lineup, the best choice to put in the outfield is Jeff Conine....*************

right because Denorfia has retired.... Not only is he obviously better defensively than Conine, but Pecota projects his bat to be much more productive. Frankly, it shouldn't be assumed Freel is a better option in CF than Denorfia...

********When looking at last season's big trade between the Nationals and the Reds, do so as if Gonzalez came to Cincinnati in the deal as well. Why? Austin Kearns is asking for $4.25 million in arbitration from the Nationals, who offered $3.65 million, and Felipe Lopez is asking for $4.1 million and was offered $3.7 million.

If they still were on Cincinnati's roster, the Reds would not have had the money to sign Gonzalez.*********

Call me silly, but if they were still on the roster, the Reds would't have needed Gonzo....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Call me silly, but if they were still on the roster, the Reds wouldn't have needed Gonzo....
    I wondered that myself..then again look who wrote it. This is why I read EVERYONE ELSE's paper.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?