Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merged: MLB Extra Innings only on DirecTV this year?

Merged: MLB Extra Innings only on DirecTV this year?

According to the NYT Baseball roundup, MLB is close to announcing an exclusive agreement with DirecTV for baseball games. Nothing like Bud and company to make games available to fewer and fewer people. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/sp...ei=5087%0A
    PDM

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB EI only on DirecTV this year?

Good. Dish Network will stay the same price and the Directv deal will skyrocket, plus I STILL get 145 Reds games next year.

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Good. Dish Network will stay the same price and the Directv deal will skyrocket, plus I STILL get 145 Reds games next year.

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Just be careful what you wish for...Directv has now invested the capital to make it a better product. They have NFL, MLB, and upcoming a ton more HD channels (something Dish has held an advantage on thru today). Dish is definetly the bargain product out there now, but if Directv's aggressive moves pay off, Dish could go belly up or have to raise prices of their own to increase revenue. On the other hand, it could all blow up in Directv's face...you never know.

There shouldn't be much of a cost impact for regular subscribers. I also wouldn't expect the EI package to go up much in price. I haven't been on DTV long, but it seems the Sunday Ticket and College Football packages have stayed about the same. I will say it's a crime though to charge $99 for HD NFL games. This does put DTV in a favorable market position though, especially for sports fans. Cable is in more and more trouble...
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Anyone have any experience with MLB.TV? How's the quality? Is it all grainy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    If you're only watching one game the picture isn't bad at all, it isn't as clear as TV but for a webcast it's pretty good. I did have some problems with the mosaic view but otherwise it was a great deal.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I guess I can take that off my birthday wishlist. I might have to check out MLB TV this year.

Here's another thread on it: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...esice51+mlb.tv

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I guess I can take that off my birthday wishlist. I might have to check out MLB TV this year.
    MLB.TV is great as long as you have a fast internect connection. EVERY Reds game is on, and the quality is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

MLB and Selig are dirtbags. I live in New York and my apartment building does not allow satellite antennas, and I have a Mac computer which MLB's media player is VERY tempermental with, so now I can't watch the Reds. They can kiss my butt in Macy's window. I wouldn't be surprised to see Selig with gold teeth like a rapper the next time he makes a public appearance.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Is this year in play with this proposed deal? Anyone heard when this will become effective?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is this year in play with this proposed deal? Anyone heard when this will become effective?
    Next year'd give me enough time to graduate and get an honest to god job, thus being able to afford DirecTV.

Here's to hoping.

(Gotta figure it's this year though.)

I actually got a nice Samsung 42" plasma screen for Christmas from a rich relative.

I was thinking maybe if Bud hogs EI all for himself this year maybe I'd get mlb.tv and hook up the laptop to the TV and see how good the picture is.

Any thoughts on that?

I figured it'd be all distorted and blurry, which sucks because Extra Innings is how I follow the Reds on a regular basis.

They don't play a whole hell of a lot down here in Gainesville, Florida.

Watching the Reds is sort of what I do at night. Thanks Bud. You're a prince.

Next year'd give me enough time to graduate and get an honest to god job, thus being able to afford DirecTV.

Here's to hoping.

(Gotta figure it's this year though.)
    Everyone's assuming that but I haven't read anything in print to that extent so I can't jump to that conclusion.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    MLB.TV is great as long as you have a fast internect connection. EVERY Reds game is on, and the quality is good.
    Not quite every game. Saturday afternoon games are blacked out until 7:00PM Eastern.

The quality is not as good as satellite, but it's good enough, considering that it's about half the price of satellite.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If this happens I think it will start this year. I read somewhere the contract the cable companies had with MLB for Extra Innings expired at the end of last year. So they would have to start a new contract for this year. So I would imagine you will hear this deal announced very soon and it will probably start this year.

Turn Off Ads?