Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Giants back out of Bonds deal, could Dunn be traded to SF?

If Giants back out of Bonds deal, could Dunn be traded to SF?

In the midst of these cold, cold offseason days, I figured I'd give the old hot stove a nice kick.

With all of these articles about the Bonds deal not being official and the Giants having second thoughts I noticed a few of them note that the Giants attempted to trade for Manny or Dunn but couldn't get a deal done so they went back to Bonds. If they decide to back out of their deal with Bonds could the Giants be desperate enough and allow Wayne to pry away some of their young arms for Adam?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Giants back out of Bonds deal, could Dunn be traded to SF?

I hear that Bonds is threatening to sue if the Giants back out of the deal, citing the fact that the positive amphetamines test can't be held against him because it was supposed to be confidential.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Trading Dunn right now, takes away alot from our offense. Unless we start to rebuild, I dont see a point in doing that.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'd trade Dunn for Matt Cain, but the Giants wouldn't so there's really no point.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Can you imagine Dunn playing left field at that ball park?? He is atrocious at GABP just imagine how many errors he would accumulate in SF.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Can you imagine Dunn playing left field at that ball park?? He is atrocious at GABP just imagine how many errors he would accumulate in SF.
    Bonds is every bit the butcher in left that Dunn is.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I thought I heard that usually, when sides agree to terms they fax MLB those terms to make it official, which in turn makes it binding for both sides. But Bonds didn't allow that because he wasn't happy with the language, meaning that the agreement isn't binding.

MLB.com had an article a few weeks ago that exactly ZERO of the Giants free agent signings over the winter have actually inked the deal yet, due to the Giants adding this new language into the contracts. But everyone is acting like it's done because the League has been sent a notice.

I'll do some digging to find out exactly where I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Quoting myself here, I found what I was looking for. The "Letters of Agreement" is what I was refering to.

From MLB.com on Jan. 8th

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

Bonds, who reached an agreement in principle Dec. 7 to return to the Giants in 2007, is no closer to signing the one-year, $16 million deal today than he was a month ago. Part of the problem, mirroring all the other players, is a change in the standard guarantee language rewritten this offseason by San Francisco's department of baseball operations in each of the contracts, said Bobby Evans, an assistant general manager, who is handling the details of all these deals.

With the opening of Spring Training just a little more than five weeks away, Evans said the Giants have signed letters of agreement with eight of their nine free agents, even though the contracts have yet to be inked.

"The one that doesn't have all the boxes checked off is Barry," Evans said. 'We do not have a complete signed letter of agreement. At Barry's request, Barry wanted to have all the language finalized before anything was signed and announced. That's the difference. That's why we haven't announced Barry's signing nor put him on the 40-man roster."

Indeed, Bonds said recently that he's not signing the contract until "they've dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's."

Aside from Bonds, the Giants are bringing back Pedro Feliz, Ray Durham and Steve Kline from last year's squad. So far, they have added Barry Zito, Dave Roberts, Rich Aurilia, Ryan Klesko and Bengie Molina.
    . . .

"What it comes down to is how some of those things are worded," Evans said. "Things like prohibited activities. We don't want our players participating in certain team sports. Things like that. The list is longer than it has been in the past. This is not legalese. This is spelled out in plain English. It's easy to understand. It's a lot less ambiguous."

. . .
    "I don't see how the negotiations with Barry has anything to do with any of the others," Evans said. "I'm trying to be consistent, fair, administratively conscientious and get something that everybody is comfortable with."

Borris declined to comment on the depth of the problems he's having with the Giants about the language in Bonds' new contract. He did say he was relatively certain that the standard guarantee language submitted to him was the same as what the Giants gave to the other eight free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I thought I heard that usually, when sides agree to terms they fax MLB those terms to make it official, which in turn makes it binding for both sides. But Bonds didn't allow that because he wasn't happy with the language, meaning that the agreement isn't binding.

MLB.com had an article a few weeks ago that exactly ZERO of the Giants free agent signings over the winter have actually inked the deal yet, due to the Giants adding this new language into the contracts. But everyone is acting like it's done because the League has been sent a notice.

I read the same thing but don't remember where,Maybe it was rotoworld?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bonds is every bit the butcher in left that Dunn is.
    Bonds is considered one of the best defensive LF's in baseball history. Eight Gold Gloves are pretty impressive.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Bonds is considered one of the best defensive LF's in baseball history. Eight Gold Gloves are pretty impressive.
    Yeah, he used to be great. He's probably worse then Dunn is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

He deserved some of those Gold Gloves in Pittsburgh.

Some.

Barry Bonds probably hasn't been a Gold Glove LF since 1993.

You can equate this to the fact Ken Griffey Jr probably hasn't been a Gold Glove CF since 1998-99.

Watching him out there now is painful to the eyes. Forget anything over his head or not right at him. He'll make the highlight reel catch from time to time - but for the most part he's a statue out there. It seems like he takes the right routes to the balls after they've blown over his head, but he hasn't been a gold glove LF for quite some time.

Some of it is lack of hustle, some of it is that he just has nothing left in his knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    He deserved some of those Gold Gloves in Pittsburgh.

Some.

Barry Bonds probably hasn't been a Gold Glove LF since 1993.

You can equate this to the fact Ken Griffey Jr probably hasn't been a Gold Glove CF since 1998-99.
    Bonds no doubt is not the defensive player he was in his prime but if you match them up I have a very hard time believing Dunn is Bonds equal in the outfield. Throw out the fact that Bonds can still adequately judge fly balls while Dunn cant, but Bonds still has the superior throwing arm.

Also one of Dunns many defensive problems is judging fly balls. Dunn has trouble judging fly balls with mild wind conditions at GABP, imagine what it would be like seeing him judge flyballs with the more turbulent wind off the ocean at San Fran.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 01-21-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Bonds no doubt is not the defensive player he was in his prime but if you match them up I have a very hard time believing Dunn is Bonds equal in the outfield. Throw out the fact that Bonds can still adequately judge fly balls while Dunn cant, but Bonds still has the superior throwing arm.

Also one of Dunns many defensive problems is judging fly balls. Dunn has trouble judging fly balls with mild wind conditions at GABP, imagine what it would be like seeing him judge flyballs with the more turbulent wind off the ocean at San Fran.

I would say Dunn is better than Bonds right now defensively, and neither one of them has a good arm.

Bonds can't get to anything. You think Griffey Jr is a statue now? Bonds gets to even less. Bonds can barely walk the bases, much less run in the OF.

Turn Off Ads?