Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annoying Sportscaster Terms

Re: Annoying Sportscaster Terms

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree with your 2, however, I don't want this to become a Grande bash...I'm more looking for the terms that sportscasters nationally just seemed to discover this year, i.e. new terms.
    Sorry, didn't mean for it to become a George Grande bash. He actually doesn't bother me like he does some people, I just find it almost comical when someone hits a monster of a home run he makes it sound like it barely got out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anything that comes out of the mouth of anyone on ESPN.

If they'd go back to the way they covered things in the late 80s or early 90s, I might actually watch again. Oh for the good old days when ESPN just covered the sports. They way they try to fabricate the entertainment these days is just incredibly painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I agree.

Though, there's a special place in hell for whoever decided to make every talking head scream, in unison, "You got JACKED UP!"

Odd thing is I can tolerate that, cause I like seeing those crushing hits!!!!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Boo-ya!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Taking it to the house is one I have come to loathe.

Honestly I'd like to see them bring back some of the older sayings. What would be cool is a 2 minute package on sports sayings and calls from 20's-40's, And then follow it up with a month of using those calls when doing highlights. Then see what sticks again.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    He's a "gamer" who "does the little things" that "shows he's a winner".

If anyone can truly define for me what the heck any of those terms really means, let me know.
    I'd say that it's what BJ Upton doesn't do. (at least in the eyes of the scouts.)

Upton, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft but is a shaky fielder and has struggled to find a position. A rival scout says he soured on Upton when he refused to pick up baseballs at the end of a batting practice at Class AAA Durham last year and brushed off a Bulls coach in the process. "There are serious questions about that kid," the scout says. "I just don't know how much he wants to play." . . .
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=170083

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I've always detested the word "athleticism" - it wasn't a word thirty years ago - it was "athletic ability". Yike! I still don't like it.
    I'd place "audibilize" in the same category.

Also, I think it's a law that if you work for ESPN, you have to work "oh by the way" into every third sentence. As in, "Rex Grossman reminds me of a young Brett Favre, who, oh by the way, only went on to have a hall of fame career."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?