Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Draft prospects #1 Matt Harvey

Draft prospects #1 Matt Harvey

I really like looking at the future with our minor league systems, but I am also a fan of amateur baseball as well. I was thinking of highlighting some of the top prospects in HS ball that are eligible for the 2007 draft. Is it too early to think draft? Heck no.

--------------------------------------------------

#1 HS prospect is Righthander Matt Harvey (Fitch High, Groton, Conn)
    6' 4" - 190 lbs.

A report from the Aflac All-American Baseball Classic

Matt Harvey has a loose, fluid delivery which he repeats well, enabling him to pound the strike zone with two plus pitches. His fastball sits between 91-95 mph and he complements it with one of the best changeups among the high school Class of 2007. Matt led Fitch High to Connecticut's Class 2-A State Championship as a junior, posting a 5-0 record with two saves and a 0.82 ERA. In 43 innings he racked up 80 strikeouts against 14 walks with 13 hits allowed. He also batted .367 as a first baseman. Matt was named All-State by the New Haven Register, Hartford Current and Connecticut High School Baseball Coaches Association. In the semifinals, Matt spun a two-hitter with 15 strikeouts against Trumbull High in the state playoffs. He was ranked as the No. 5 prospect by Prospects Plus at Perfect Game's National Showcase in Fayetteville, Ark., in June. He also appeared in USA Baseball's Tournament of Stars in Joplin, Mo. As a sophomore at Fitch High, Matt was 7-0 with a 1.13 ERA and a save. In 56 innings he had 94 strikeouts, 26 walks and 17 allowed just hits. He threw two one-hitters and two no-hitters. Matt honed his skills in the summers following his freshman and sophomore seasons with the New London American Legion team. Matt is a perennial honor role student and owns a 3.3 GPA. At Fitch High, he plays for his father, Ed, a 33-year coaching veteran, 28 as a head coach. Ed played baseball and football at University of Connecticut, appearing in the 1972 College World Series.
    From tarheelblue.com which is where he committed to play in 2008.

Matt Harvey, Mystic, Conn. (Fitch, Coach Ed Harvey), RHP, 6-4/190
    Ranked the No. 1 prospect in the country by Baseball America and the No. 5 prospect in the country by Perfect Game. A very athletic right-handed pitcher that has great stuff. His fastball has reached the mid-90s, and he also has an outstanding curveball. Played for his father Ed at Fitch High School. Coach Fox on Harvey: "Matt has a pitcher's body and a terrific arm. We love his demeanor and his attitude about competing. He is a wonderful athlete that has a very bright future in this game. He loved our pitching program, and the way Andrew Miller and Daniel Bard developed. We are honored that Matt chose the University of North Carolina, and he can certainly help us reach the goals we have set for our program."
    He starred at the East Coast Showcase this past August. Here is a report from Baseball America (non-premium):

Righthander Matt Harvey (Fitch High, Groton, Conn.), was the first pitcher to toe the rubber at Brooks Field, and he might have been the best. He struck out six in two innings, sitting near 90 mph, touching 93 mph. The son of a coach, Harvey's feel for pitching and secondary stuff are advanced and refined. He shows an ability to spot his pitches to all four quadrants of the strike zone, and he overmatched good hitters.
    Appearantly he can hit a little too:

From TheChronicle.com

Matt Harvey and Wes Smith each went 5-for-5 and combined to score five runs and drive in seven more for No. 1 Fitch (6-0), which scored all of its runs over the first five innings in an 18-8 romp over Windham (3-3) in an Eastern Connecticut Conference inter-division game.
    Obviously a stud. I would like to see the Reds go after HS pitching like this. The more the better.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 01-22-2007 at 12:06 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Draft prospects #1 Matt Harvey

I doubt he lasts until where the Reds are drafting unless he struggles a little this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I doubt he lasts until where the Reds are drafting unless he struggles a little this season.
    He will be a top 5 pick is my guess. Probably a top 3 HS pitcher pick.

Im not sure where I would put him yet, way to early with the college and HS season to come still....but if he stays the same with his prospects....no way he is around for the Reds. Good thing is though, its supposed to be a strong draft class this year and the Reds have quite a few picks in the top 120.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Im not sure where I would put him yet, way to early with the college and HS season to come still....but if he stays the same with his prospects....no way he is around for the Reds. Good thing is though, its supposed to be a strong draft class this year and the Reds have quite a few picks in the top 120.

Last I heard on him Dirt is he is a shoe in to go number ! over all
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Well, much like any football mock drafts....right now its way to early to tell. He still has an entire season before he can think about the draft. Struggles, or God forbid an injury can really hamper his status....

I may be completely wrong here but I thought that college pitcher David Prince was a lock to be picked first overall.

I think, especially at this point, no one is a lock to be #1. There isnt a Justin Upton in this years draft....and really sometimes even then teams go on the cheap....

I think it'll be between Price and Wieters. He could be a beast if he stays behind the plate.

Turn Off Ads?