Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Exercise Freaks?

I'm toolsy.

Any Exercise Freaks?

I am once again looking for the collective expertise of this board:

So I bought a scale last night that also meaasures body fat (big mistake). I'm 31 yrs old, 5' 10" tall, and weigh 209. My body fat percentage was 28%!!!!

Needless to say, I am now very motivated to get something done about this belly! My questions are:

My only time to goto the gym is after work. Is it best to go before or after dinner?

Does anyone know of a good website that will can give persoalized exercise programs? For example, I want to lower my body fat and work on core strength and flexibility for my golf game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any Exercise Freaks?

Not really sure about the website info, but I can tell you that it is generally better to eat after you work out. The catch is you have to eat something relatively healthy, high in protein, low in fat. Your body absorbs the most nutrients within about a fifteen minute window of when you stop exercising, so make it count! If you must eat before you work out, try to make it something with a fair amount of carbs for energy, but still low in saturated fat.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

TJ has good advice, but you might get a better workout if you eat a bit before you work out- a banana or Power Bar or a gel or something- if you work out after work your blood sugar level could be low, depleting you of some energy. Just don't keep a Power Bar in the cold- years ago I was running a race on a winter Saturdy morning. It was an hour out of town so I put my stuff in the car the night before, including the Power Bar. The cold made it as tough as leather and was almost uneatable.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Personally, I think all people who exercise are freaks.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

It really doesn't matter when you work out. Sure some times may be slightly better, what matters most is that you work out when it is most convenient for you. For me, I like going to workout on the way home from work, once my butt touches a couch its harder for me to get up and out of the house. Pick a time that works best for you and stick with it.

A good reference for me is the abs diet from men's health. Basically is sensible plan that says eat a lot protein, stay away from processed starches, greens are good, and so are beans and legumes. Do a search on the internet. It also gives good full body workouts (you don't have to buy the book most of it is available on the internet). Exercise is very important but you really can't just exercise fat away - abs are made in the kitchen.

For me lifting weights for about 35 minutes then some cardio (20 minutes) and just eating sensible changed my body a lot. Choose an exercise you enjoy then there is more chance you will stick to it. Good luck.

link http://www.menshealth.com/cda/topicp...egory=abs.diet
    Last edited by michst; 01-22-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added link

michst has some sound advice. You have to decide that working out is just as important as everything else you do. Don't tell yourself it's okay to skip a workout. Skipping a workout should be like skipping an employee evaluation with your boss -- you'd better have a very good excuse.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Is it best to go before or after dinner?
    For what you are trying to do, it's all a math problem, basically. Just create a caloric deficit by doing lots of cardio (40-45 minutes, 4-5 times a week).

If you are doing the work, that is the most important thing. Don't get caught up in what to do before and after, unless you are trying to put on mass, then it gets important to eat after you lift heavy weights.

I have been working out close to all my life, and I'd be happy to tell you what has worked for me and what hasn't.

The advice that 919191 gave is good- eat a small something like yogurt or a power bar, a banana, anything light that will keep your stomach quiet (It takes 45 minutes or so to get energy from something you eat, so I don't know how much fuel it is going to give you).

I like to eat a full meal after I workout or a supplement drink.

The most important thing for you right now is to sweat off some of the excess and then add some weights in to build some muscle, which will also help to burn more calories each day.

Just remember there is nothing more important than doing the work.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-22-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Don't tell yourself it's okay to skip a workout.
    This is terrific advice. Working out has to become like brushing your teeth.

I make a deal with myslef when I don't feel like working out: I try it for 10 minutes and then if I still don't feel like it, I can skip.

I've never skipped when I do this. By the time 10 minutes comes around, you'll be bursting with energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    For what you are trying to do, it's all a math problem, basically. Just create a caloric deficit
    Totally agree.

Getting your diet in order is 90% of the battle. You can be a couch potato and still lose weight if you have a good handle on your nutritional needs and create a caloric deficit every day. OTOH, you can work out like a madman never lose that gut if you don't get your diet under control first.

If you think of your weight loss goals as a house, a nutrition plan is the foundation and the roof, while exercise selection is merely the furniture. If your foundation sucks and your roof leaks, it doesn't matter how nice your furniture is.

by doing lots of cardio (40-45 minutes, 4-5 times a week).
    Totally disagree.

Resistance trainning is a MUCH more efficient way to burn calories because it raises your metabolism for an extended period of time versus an aerobic workout. Your metabolism will usually return to normal within a half-hour or so of completing a cardio session, but it will stay elevated for HOURS after resistance training. Plus, resistance training has the added benefit of building muscle, which will also increase your metabolism over the long-haul.

That said, my advice for novices is:
    * Best time to workout: whatever time you are most likely to make a habit of
    * Best exercise: whatever you enjoy (or hate the least if you don't like working out)

As long as a novice gym rat makes it in to the gym consistently, he/she will make impressive gains nio matter what exercise they choose.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 01-23-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Does anyone know of a good website that will can give persoalized exercise programs? For example, I want to lower my body fat and work on core strength and flexibility for my golf game.
    T-nation is a fantastic resource for learning about exercise and nutrition.

http://www.t-nation.com/index.do

However, a lot of the stuff on there requires a basic level of knowledge to understand.

Here is my favorite article on nutrition as it relates to gaining muscle / losing fat:

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutr...sseating_1.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/j...calculator.htm

All of Berardi's articles are pretty good. If you want to read more, you can get them at http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm
    Last edited by Steve4192; 01-23-2007 at 03:44 PM.

One last bit of advice and then I'll shut my piehole.

If you are REALLY serious about wanting to lose weight, start keeping a nutrition log. There is no easier way to see what you are doing right and where you are screwing up than to put it all on paper.

I do my workouts and watch TV shows on DVD. It's especially good with a serialized show because it gives you incentive to work out the next day. I've been working out to 24. I watched season 2 in a month due to working out for 45 minutes between cardio and lifting. That show makes you want to watch the next show ASAP because you want to know what happens next and that keeps you interested in working out. I'm getting ready to start season 3. My goal is too be all caught up by the time season 7 comes on.

Usually I alternate between long cardio and light lifting and a day of detailed lifting exercises while usually doing situps every day. One day I'll get rid of this belly.

Resistance trainning is a MUCH more efficient way to burn calories because it raises your metabolism for an extended period of time versus an aerobic workout.
    My belief is you will never lose weight by lifting it.

I know, I've tried. If I lift 6 days a week and don't do aerobic exercise, I still balloon out.

If I could lose weight without aerobics, I'd do it.

The only way to lose weight is to create a caloric deficit and good luck doing that with resistance training.

University of Cincinnati

Easiest way to lose weight without excercise - low carb diet

Now with that said it makes me wonder how much you could lose by excercising with a low carb diet?
    THE University of Cincinnati

My belief is you will never lose weight by lifting it.

I know, I've tried. If I lift 6 days a week and don't do aerobic exercise, I still balloon out.
    Sounds to me like a dietary issue rather than an exercise issue.

As you have stated, all you have to do is create a caloric deficit. If your diet is dialed in right, you could lose weight without ever getting off your couch.

I almost never hit the cardio equipment at the gym and I still manage to shed fat, when that is my goal in the spring, just fine. On the flip side, I also manage to gain weight, when that is my goal in the fall/winter, just fine using the same workout plan. The only change I make is to my caloric intake (5000 calories in the fall/winter, 4000 in the spring, 4500 in the summer). Of course, all of this hinges on keeping a nutrition journal and actually knowing my caloric intake and expenditure on a daily basis. Without that, I probably would struggle to manipulate my body composition.

Turn Off Ads?