Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Exercise Freaks?

Re: Any Exercise Freaks?

Just wanted to bump this for a minute to ask a question.

I'm looking to add a little muscle mass, which has always been kind of difficult for me, so I want to supplement my diet with protein drinks/shakes.

Can anyone recommend a good protein powder? I don't particularly want one with a ton of sugar but I also don't want one that contains Splenda (Sucralose), since I've been reading some pretty unsettling articles about that stuff.

Any suggestions for products you've had some success with? Thanks in advance.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since this is bumped, I have been running and doing some core training for about 3 months now and I have lost 15 lbs. I am not an a "diet" persay but have cut back at meal time and cut out snacks and fast foods. I am not stuck, I have been the same weight for 3 weeks, any tips? I run usually 3 to 4 miles and then walk another mile at an incline at a very brisk pace. Looking for any tips and or help losing my next 20 lbs.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    This is terrific advice. Working out has to become like brushing your teeth.
    Uh....you would be my dream patient Dom!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Just wanted to bump this for a minute to ask a question.

I'm looking to add a little muscle mass, which has always been kind of difficult for me, so I want to supplement my diet with protein drinks/shakes.

Can anyone recommend a good protein powder? I don't particularly want one with a ton of sugar but I also don't want one that contains Splenda (Sucralose), since I've been reading some pretty unsettling articles about that stuff.

Any suggestions for products you've had some success with? Thanks in advance.
    I bet Barry Bonds has some stuff that would work. His trainer is looking for some new clients as well.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Uh....you would be my dream patient Dom!
    Dude- you honestly have no idea how much you would have loved to be my dentist.

I grind. I grind so much that I basically had very tiny teeth for awhile until I just had them all redone. Crowns, veneers. I am so excited. They are perfectly straight and pearly white. I have temporarys on the bottom and they are going to seat them next week, I hope.

My dentist is going on a trip around the world with the check I just gave her lol....

Bless her heart: She did throw in a free mouthguard so I won't grind these down.

I hated to do it but I had to to save the teeth I had. She is hoping that by correcting the bite that I will stop grinding them, but I don't think that's going to happen. I sleep every night with this thing in my mouth. It's really sexy.

Also- I floss after every meal and brush and rinse.....I'm a maniac about it now.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Since this is bumped, I have been running and doing some core training for about 3 months now and I have lost 15 lbs. I am not an a "diet" persay but have cut back at meal time and cut out snacks and fast foods. I am not stuck, I have been the same weight for 3 weeks, any tips? I run usually 3 to 4 miles and then walk another mile at an incline at a very brisk pace. Looking for any tips and or help losing my next 20 lbs.
    First of all- congrats on the results. I'll bet you look and feel great.

My advice to you is to increase the intensity of the workout. Maybe run your 3 or 4 miles but implement wind sprints into the routine. For example, maybe run really hard for one minute and then jog for a minute and then alternate this until you complete the jog. That worked wonders for me. The thing is, it's tough to hit a wall there, because you can continue to increase the intensity. Once you reach a maximum speed, then simply do it longer. You don't have to run so hard you kill yourself, but you really freak your body out when you increase your demand.

I really liked Heavyweight Gainer 900. I would cut the serving size in half and then I would throw in some frozen yogurt and a banana.

Muscle Milk is another favorite.

It will taste so good that you will look forward to the end of your workouts.

I take one now that has Splenda and I love it (if it doesn't kill me).

Supplements are terrific because they give you calories when you most need it and don't really feel like eating. They also take the guesswork out of "How many grams of protein are in a chicken breast?" It doesn't matter because you know you are taking in all you need. I read somewhere that your body uses 80% of what it needs to grow from calories taken within 90 minutes of the workout. If true, supplemental drinks are tremendous because you can take in a large number of calories without having to cook something.

Just go easy on the calories- you can get really fat drinking 900 calorie shakes everyday.

Let me ask probally a dumb question. Is it better for you if you want to lose weight to eat say a foot long turkey and ham sandwhich without cheese and oil from Subway. Or is it better to eat a good size garden salad (i am talking a half bag of lettuce) minus bad things like cheese and croutons but with fat free salad dressing??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Let me ask probally a dumb question. Is it better for you if you want to lose weight to eat say a foot long turkey and ham sandwhich without cheese and oil from Subway. Or is it better to eat a good size garden salad (i am talking a half bag of lettuce) minus bad things like cheese and croutons but with fat free salad dressing??
    The salad would have alot less calories so that would be better. I believe it's not so much what we eat that makes us fat, it's how much we eat that makes us fat. Fried foods and fat salad dressings are not good for you, but if you don't gorge yourself on that stuff you can eat it from time to time and probably won't gain weight.

You can go to Subway everyday if you want. But, get a 6-inch sub. With Baked Lays chips. It might not fill you up completely, but that's the point. Eat a small snack 2 hours prior to going and another small snack 2 hours after. I had a personal trainer once and the best advice he gave me was this:

Eat enough so you can eat again in 2 hours. It's very difficult to do this all the time, but if you can do this most of the time, you will keep the weight off.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Is it better for you if you want to lose weight to eat say a foot long turkey and ham sandwhich without cheese and oil from Subway. Or is it better to eat a good size garden salad (i am talking a half bag of lettuce) minus bad things like cheese and croutons but with fat free salad dressing??
    Neither.

One of the keys to losing weight is to practice portion control and eat 4 or 5 small meals instead of 2 or 3 gigantic ones. Eating a foot long sub or a salad that requires half a head of lettuce both lean towards the gigantic side.

Now, if we are talking about a 6" sub or a moderately sized garden salad (one that will fit in a standard cereal bowl), I'd take the sub every time. Why? Because the sub contains a substantial amount of protein, the salad does not. If you really want to get the most out of any exercise program, you absolutely have to meet your dietary protein requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I really liked Heavyweight Gainer 900. I would cut the serving size in half and then I would throw in some frozen yogurt and a banana.

Muscle Milk is another favorite.

It will taste so good that you will look forward to the end of your workouts.

I take one now that has Splenda and I love it (if it doesn't kill me).

Supplements are terrific because they give you calories when you most need it and don't really feel like eating. They also take the guesswork out of "How many grams of protein are in a chicken breast?" It doesn't matter because you know you are taking in all you need. I read somewhere that your body uses 80% of what it needs to grow from calories taken within 90 minutes of the workout. If true, supplemental drinks are tremendous because you can take in a large number of calories without having to cook something.

Just go easy on the calories- you can get really fat drinking 900 calorie shakes everyday.
    Thanks for the tips, Dom. I tried one recently called, I believe, Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex. It's 55g of protein and tastes great but it has Splenda in it and I really want to avoid that. My brother tried one called SupliMed that he likes quite a bit, but that one has 49g of sugar per serving. I think between the two options, I'd rather have the sugar than the Splenda.

As for getting really fat, I guess anything's possible but at almost 38 years old, I still have the metabolism of a hummingbird. Genetics is powerful stuff.

Thanks again for the advice.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    Why? Because the sub contains a substantial amount of protein, the salad does not. If you really want to get the most out of any exercise program, you absolutely have to meet your dietary protein requirements.
    That's a good point. Plus, protein makes you feel more full so you don't have to eat too much. Sometimes, I'll get get a half a sub, but double the meat so there are less carbs and more protein.

I would also recommend trying Jersey Mike's and Firehouse subs. Both sub shops are substantially better than the highly-overrated Subway. I could eat Jersey Mike's every day....mmmmmmmm.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    That's a good point. Plus, protein makes you feel more full so you don't have to eat too much. Sometimes, I'll get get a half a sub, but double the meat so there are less carbs and more protein.

I would also recommend trying Jersey Mike's and Firehouse subs. Both sub shops are substantially better than the highly-overrated Subway. I could eat Jersey Mike's every day....mmmmmmmm.
    I've read somethings about linking protein and carbs, at a ratio of about 7 g protein to 15 grams carbs. If I'm eating something more carb heavy than that, I'll add some more protein.

Get the diet scoop: 6 promising supplements, 6 to avoid

By Eric Steinmehl
    Health.com
    Adjust font size:
    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

The sales pitches are irresistible: "Lose 2 Pounds a Day!" "Burn Fat Round the Clock!" "Learn the Amazing Weight-Loss Secret of Hollywood's Sex Symbols!" OK, maybe that's pushing it. But if diet pills could give you Eva Longoria's body, would you bother with the salads and stair-climbing?

Truth is, lifestyle changes are the key to healthy weight loss. Without them, you won't get anywhere. But the six diet-pill ingredients listed here just might help, according to experts at Georgetown University, the University of Mississippi and the University of California, Los Angeles. Want to try one? Check labels to see whether they contain these ingredients, avoid "proprietary blends" that don't reveal their contents, and discuss your weight-loss game plan with your doctor.
    Caffeine

What it is: The wake-you-up chemical in your coffee appears to be the most effective weight-loss ingredient. (Health.com: Your vitamin cheat sheet.external link )

Why try it: A stimulant, caffeine speeds up metabolism and can ward off listlessness from dieting. It may suppress appetite, too, and boost the power of other weight-loss ingredients.

Why not: More than 400 milligrams per day (equivalent to three to four cups of coffee) won't help you lose more weight and could bring on jitteriness, headaches, and insomnia. Unfortunately, most products don't reveal their caffeine quantities in easy-to-understand terms; a typical daily dosage of some supplements might have as much caffeine as 30 cans of Coke (1,200-plus milligrams). Skip it if you have high blood pressure or heart disease, or if you're pregnant or nursing.
    EGCG

What it is: It's green tea's main antioxidant -- the same stuff that may protect against cancer and heart disease -- and is available in green tea supplements. The effective dosage seems to be 90-plus milligrams per day. Or just drink four cups of green tea. Vitamins with EGCG typically don't contain enough of the antioxidant to be useful.

Why try it: EGCG appears to work synergistically with the caffeine in green tea to boost metabolism. And a few small studies suggest it'll help you burn about 4 percent more calories (about 80) a day and specifically burn fat.

Why not: EGCG has no risks, but the caffeine in green tea may lead to jitters if you drink coffee or take a caffeine supplement, too.
    Chromium

What it is: Your body needs this mineral for the hormone insulin (which lets cells turn sugar into fuel) to work effectively. Insulin resistance, linked to diabetes, is thought to make you fat. The effective dosage seems to be 200 micrograms per day.

Why try it: Chromium seems to slightly limit weight gain in people with diabetes or pre-diabetes. And in one study, people who didn't have insulin trouble lost about three pounds more in 10 weeks using chromium than those who didn't. But experts say the mineral may be most useful for people with insulin resistance.

Why not: Years ago, there were health concerns about one form: chromium picolinate. Later studies found it to be safe, though, says Adriane Fugh-Berman, M.D., associate professor in the complementary and alternative medicine master's program at Georgetown. But case reports have linked chronic use of 600 micrograms or more per day to kidney and muscle damage. (Health.com: A guide to today's hot diets.external link )
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

What it is: This fatty acid is a natural substance found in meat and dairy products. The effective dosage used in studies is 3,000 milligrams per day; most supplements contain 1,000 to 1,200 milli-grams per pill.

Why try it: In one trial, women lost 9 percent of their body fat in a year -- and gained muscle, too. In another study, men and women lost about 6 percent of their fat after 6 months. Losing fat can make weight maintenance easier, because you burn more calories when you have less of it.

Why not: CLA may raise cholesterol and worsen insulin resistance.
    5-HTP

What it is: Sometimes called Griffonia simplicifolia, 5-hydroxytryptophan is an amino acid that your body eventually converts into serotonin, the brain chemical thought to be lacking in people with depression. It's shown promise as a natural antidepressant. The usual dosage: 100 milligrams, three times a day.

Why try it: 5-HTP may increase levels of a hormone that tells your brain when you're full.

Why not: If you're also taking antidepressants or migraine drugs called triptans, 5-HTP may overstimulate your nervous system and lead to muscle spasms or tremors.
    L-dopa or L-tyrosine

What it is: Your body turns the amino acid L-tyrosine into L-dopa and then turns L-dopa into dopamine, another brain chemical linked to cravings and pleasure. A common daily dosage is 500 milligrams.

Why try it: Low dopamine levels may lead to overeating, says John Williamson, Ph.D., of the National Center for Natural Products Research at the University of Mississippi. And researchers discovered years ago that Parkinson's disease patients given L-dopa lost weight. What's more, L-dopa may trigger production of human growth hormone, which builds muscle and reduces fat.

Why not: Some people experience nervousness, heart palpitations and tremors after even low doses.
    What not to buy

Cascara: This is a natural laxative -- not a safe way to shed pounds.

Dandelion: It's a natural diuretic, so you lose only water weight.

Ephedra: The Food and Drug Administration banned it in 2004; now, court challenges hope to put it back on the shelf. Ephedra increases the risk of heart problems and stroke.

Garcinia: There are possible links to liver damage.

Hoodia There's been lots of hype about hoodia gordonni, a cactuslike South African plant with appetite-suppressing chemicals (in one study, people who took it ate 1,000 fewer calories a day).

But the hoodia in that test isn't available right now, says University of California, Los Angeles, expert and Health Advisory Board member David Heber, M.D., Ph.D. He says the hoodia products in stores or online probably contain other hoodia types that don't work -- or none at all.

The British company Phytopharm, which has a global patent on hoodia for weight loss, says real products are years away. Bottom line: The available hoodia products may be safe, but they're useless. (Health.com: Find your healthy weight.external link )

Usnic acid: Found in some bodybuilders' formulas, it's been linked to severe liver damage.
    http://robots.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/di...nts/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Thanks for the tips, Dom. I tried one recently called, I believe, Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex. It's 55g of protein and tastes great but it has Splenda in it and I really want to avoid that.
    Thanks again for the advice.

Rich,

Just curious why are you trying to avoid Splenda?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Get the diet scoop: 6 promising supplements, 6 to avoid

http://robots.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/di...nts/index.html
    Meh.

Supplements are great for folks who are close to maximizing their physical potential, but they are a colossal waste of money for the vast majority of people who are just looking to shed a few extra pounds. For the purposes of this thread, I would recommend NOT purchasing any supplements.

Turn Off Ads?