Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Make it 9

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Make it 9

Might want to speak for yourself on that one.
    I'm guessing a majority of people on here have smoked marijuana.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's not the point, Dom. The point is he broke the law and was arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'd guess that you're wrong.

So he got arrested doing something we all have done and know is safer.
    1) Not all of us have done it

2) I don't know that it's safer. Short term, maybe. Long term, doubt it. Kill your liver now or fry your brain later.

3) I do wonder how many people who are ok with smoking pot are the same people who are totally against smoking in resturants?

4) Severity of the infraction doesn't change the fact he ran afoul of the law. A reoccuring theme with the Bengals.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-22-2007 at 03:30 PM.

People should care more about the obvious HGH or steroid problem in the NFL. Pot doesn't concern me in the least.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The first test to the "new" Marvin Lewis "hard ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    1) We have all not done it

2) I don't know that it's safer. Short term, maybe. Long term, doubt it. Kill your liver now or fry your brain later.

3) I do wonder how many people who are ok with smoking pot are the same people who are totally against smoking in resturants?

4) Severity of the infraction doesn't change the fact he ran afoul of the law. A reoccuring theme with the Bengals.
    1) True not all, but I think Dom is right when he says most.

2) Smoking pot is safer without doubt. People just simply do not die because they drove high or got too stoned one night.

3) I am ok with pot and people smoking in restaurants as long as the owner of said establishment is ok with it.

4) I agree he broke the law and considering the history of his team I see why it raises issues. However do you really want to hurt this teams future because of weed?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The first test to the "new" Marvin Lewis "hard ass"
    Every kid wants to test their parents limits. If it wasn't Jonathan Joseph, I think he'd be released. No way does that happen with Joseph.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    That sucks. It seems he is a victim of the company he keeps.
    Birds of a feather toke together.

sounds like we need a poll in order to figure this one out.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    1) True not all, but I think Dom is right when he says most.
    Looks like 40% of those over 12. Certinally a bunch of people. But also not "all".

"Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug. According to the 2005 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), an estimated 97.5 million Americans aged 12 or older tried marijuana at least once in their lifetimes, representing 40.1% of the U.S. population in that age group. The number of past year marijuana users in 2005 was approximately 25.4 million (10.4% of the population aged 12 or older) and the number of past month marijuana users was 14.6 million (6.0%). " Link

2) Smoking pot is safer without doubt. People just simply do not die because they drove high or got too stoned one night.
    Safer without a doubt? Again, I don't think a catagorical statement like that can be made....consider these.

" An estimated 38,000 high school seniors in the United States reported in 2001 that they crashed while driving under the influence of marijuana, and 46,000 reported that they crashed while impaired by alcohol. " Link

" DAWN also collects information on deaths involving drug abuse that were identified and submitted by 128 death investigation jurisdictions in 42 metropolitan areas across the United States. Cannabis ranked among the 10 most common drugs in 16 cities, including Detroit (74 deaths), Dallas (65), and Kansas City (63). "Link

4) I agree he broke the law and considering the history of his team I see why it raises issues. However do you really want to hurt this teams future because of weed?
    I don't want to hijack this thread into a pot debate. I agree that on the spectrum of bad things a person can do, being busted with some chronic rates pretty darn low on the list.

I just didn't agree with the premise that because pot was no big deal and was this thing that "everybody" did that what the player did was somehow justified for breaking the law.

1) We have all not done it

1)Post a poll on Ochre's board and we'll see how many people here have done it, assuming they tell the truth. I'll bet even GAC has.

2) I'll take the bet of alcohol versus pot anytime. I've lived with both alcoholics and potheads. At least the potheads don't get angry when you beat them at a game of pool.

3) These are two different issues. I'm fine with people smoking pot because it is a consensual issue with relatively low harm. I would not be fine with people smoking pot in a restaurant. How these issues are even remotely related I have no idea.

4) The severity does have something to do with it when people keep an arrest tally to say the Bengals are in need of discipline. Yes, this is arrest number 9. No, I'm not worried about this guy if all he is doing is smoking pot.

Would we be getting this lecture about severity not mattering if he was arrested for not paying parking tickets?

1)Post a poll on Ochre's board and we'll see how many people here have done it, assuming they tell the truth. I'll bet even GAC has.

These are two different issues. I'm fine with people smoking pot because it is a consensual issue with relatively low harm. I would not be fine with people smoking pot in a restaurant. How these issues are even remotely related I have no idea.

Would we be getting this lecture about severity not mattering if he was arrested for not paying parking tickets?
    Like I said in my last post. I know lots of people have smoked....I was replying to the idea that "everybody does it".

I was just thinking out loud with the smoking cigs or weed in resturants. Its funny if people would get hystarical about the slightest wiff of cigarette smoke and then turn around and fight to the death to be able to fire up a fatty in a resturant. My thought was unreated to the Bengals incident.

Lecture? Hummm. Sensitive are we? Note to self: Get Dom a skull bong for Christmas 2007. Again, as I said in my last post, I was just refuting the "everybody does it, so it's all ok" line of reasoning you were using.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    People should care more about the obvious HGH or steroid problem in the NFL. Pot doesn't concern me in the least.

You're right, they should. Whenever a baseball player tests positive for steroids, everybody pitches a fit but it's no big deal if a football player does.

It's not necessarily that he was smoking pot, but that he was breaking the law. He's the 9th member of the team to do so in a little over a year. That's pretty embarassing no matter how small the offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?