Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Make it 9

Re: Make it 9

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty?
    I think he should go with the Michael Irvin "I was just holding for a friend trying to stay clean" defense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    With the penalty for possession so lenient, he probably would be in more trouble for shoplifting.
    Not too far fetched. Possession of small amounts of mj is only a minor misdemeanor, at least in Ohio, equivalent to a moving violation. It depends on how much he had though. Over a certain amount and it becomes a felony.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    So funny we are riding these guys for smoking pot but then we are praising alcohol usage on another thread.

I know marijuana is illegal, but geesh, anybody who has smoked pot knows it's safer than alcohol in many ways.
    And I wouldn't expect a pothead to think any other way.... they're deeeeep thinkers.

I think maryjuana, which involves smoking (inhaling) is a far worse personal health risk IMO.

But it is safer then alcohol when it comes to getting behind the wheel of a car. Especially when you're so stoned you get lost sitting in a parked car in the driveway.

Man could I relate some funny stories from 30 years ago. Would make a good thread.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-22-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And I wouldn't expect a pothead to think any other way.... they're deeeeep thinkers.
    I have no affiliation to the potheads of America lol...

I've only smoked just a few times myself. Spent lots of time with those who have, though. Lots.

The guy is stoned a lot obviously. Have you looked at his girlfriend?!?! And it would appear she can beat his aaa, behind in a fight.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Not too far fetched. Possession of small amounts of mj is only a minor misdemeanor, at least in Ohio, equivalent to a moving violation. It depends on how much he had though. Over a certain amount and it becomes a felony.
    Or how it's packaged.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Sorry, but I'm tired of rooting for criminals.

Same here, my man! A few years ago, Jerry Seinfeld said that "we're basically rooting for a uniform". I have rooted for the Bengals uniforms, all three of them, for the past 30+ years, but I am having a hard time rooting for the players wearing them recently.

Clean the house, whatever it takes. If it means a couple of seasons of 6-10 or 4-12, then so be it. This team was a laughingstock from 1991-02. Today, they're a laughingstock once again, just not for their pitiful W-L records. Instead, it's for their criminal records. The Bengals will NEVER win anything of significance with the players they currently have. The lack of off-field discipline will undermine any on-field efforts. We've seen it the past two seasons. Marvin either needs to get a grip or move on. There, I've said it.

The Bengals will NEVER win anything of significance with the players they currently have.
    They would have been in the playoffs had Shayne Graham made a stinking field goal, made at least 5 yards longer becuase his head coach doesn't know how to manage a clock.

That may not be significant, but I would have taken a trip to the playoffs.

And they wouldn't have lost had they gotten there due to their "character."

It would have been because of their crappy defense.

The effect of the "character" and "chemistry" will always be debated. And I agree that, in terms of X's and O's, it was the bad defense that cost the team the season. But I still contend that, even if they had slipped into the playoffs with a 9-7 record, they would have done so with a team that has 12-4 talent.

FWIW, I am not really up in arms over Joseph's act of getting caught with weed. I've never used it, but I also think that our society is a bit too stressed about it. The thing that bothers me is that whatever Marvin has said to his players about staying out of trouble is not getting through.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Anybody ever pinched one with a Bengal? That might reach 40%!

Maybe that is the Browns problem; they aren't smoking enough hemp.
    RB Green was a joker, a smoker, and a midnight toker.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Daugherty has an interesting take here =>

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...OL03/701230377

I have a friend that goes to NKU and he parties alot in the Cincy area... he said he knows a guy that buys weed off of Odell.... I don't believe him, but you never know sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Daugherty has an interesting take here =>

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...OL03/701230377
    What Lewis needs to do is develop a core of citizen-cops in the locker room, and have them police it. Does anyone really think Corey Dillon took Emily Post lessons upon signing with New England?
    Nope. He went to a place with a carefully constructed core of Good People, who let him know what was OK and what wasn't. Because they were talented and had Super Bowl rings, Dillon listened. The Bengals have a few good men - Willie Anderson, Reggie Kelly, Carson Palmer, to name three - but they do not have that culture of business-like responsibility all good teams need.
    Until they get it, this stuff will happen and the Bengals will keep underachieving. If you want to lean on Lewis, point to that.
    I disagree with Daugherty that everyone just needs to get over it. After all, if it's so unreasonable to expect professional football players to behave within the constraints of the law, then why don't the other 31 teams have nine players arrested in nine months?

That being said, if Lewis is going to insist on bringing in players with issues, then he needs to heed Daughterty's advice and "carefully construct a core of Good People". Thing is, there's not enough room on an NFL roster for a carefully constructed core large enough to deal with the issues this team has.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I disagree with Daugherty that everyone just needs to get over it. After all, if it's so unreasonable to expect professional football players to behave within the constraints of the law, then why don't the other 31 teams have nine players arrested in nine months?

That being said, if Lewis is going to insist on bringing in players with issues, then he needs to heed Daughterty's advice and "carefully construct a core of Good People". Thing is, there's not enough room on an NFL roster for a carefully constructed core large enough to deal with the issues this team has.
    I don't think the problems are limited to the Bengals. I'm sure many other teams in the NFL have just as many guys who smoke pot or drink and drive as the Bengals. It's just the Bengals have been the ones dumb enough to get caught.

Another thing I was thinking about was that maybe these guys are coming from places where they don't think they'll get pulled over. I myself have grown up in suburban cities notorious for passing out speeding tickets like halloween candy. When I drive, I am always keenly aware of police and speed traps because I've been conditioned to watch for them. But I know people who come from the big cities who just aren't that aware of the police when they're out driving and when they do see them, they don't think they'll get pulled over. So I've known a few guys who would keep things in their car they really shouldn't.

The city I currently live in makes a lot of their drug busts on routine traffic stops. I'd say they probably get more drug busts that way than the neighborhing college town and the large cities to the north and south. Why? Being a suburban community, the bulk of the work done by our officers involves traffic duty. They stop a ton of college kids going back and forth between the cities and the college town. College town and the cities don't have nearly as many officers monitoring traffic because they've got more pressing concerns (keeping the peace in College Town and fighting much more serious crime in the big cities). I've heard that the college kids seem honestly surprised when they get pulled over and don't realize just how long the smell of pot stays with you.

With that in mind, I don't think it's too far fetched to think that young professional athletes living in the Greater Cincinnati area have no clue about how things work in an area like Clermont County or Boone County and are just stupid when they choose to engage in illicit activity. Doesn't mean it's not going on elsewhere in the league. I'd be willing to there are quite a few NFL players on each team that like to partake of the "sticky icky."

My question is, if you feel the Bengals should take a hard line and make an example of a player who gets busted for pot or for drunken driving, does that mean the Reds should do the same thing when their players step out of line? I'm still amazed at the outrage towards Bengals players when Ryan Freel has essentially gotten a free pass for his transgressions. Granted, the Reds haven't had 9 players get busted. But still, Ryan Freel was downright plastered when he was busted for drunk driving. I never heard sanctimonious calls for his release after his arrest and what he did was arguable much more dangerous to society at large than what some of these Bengals players have been arrested for. Where do you draw the line? Do you have a no tolerance policy, or do you wait for the 5th guy who was unlucky enough to get caught?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't think the problems are limited to the Bengals. I'm sure many other teams in the NFL have just as many guys who smoke pot or drink and drive as the Bengals. It's just the Bengals have been the ones dumb enough to get caught.

Another thing I was thinking about was that maybe these guys are coming from places where they don't think they'll get pulled over... I know people who come from the big cities who just aren't that aware of the police when they're out driving and when they do see them, they don't think they'll get pulled over. So I've known a few guys who would keep things in their car they really shouldn't.

With that in mind, I don't think it's too far fetched to think that young professional athletes living in the Greater Cincinnati area have no clue about how things work in an area like Clermont County or Boone County and are just stupid when they choose to engage in illicit activity. Doesn't mean it's not going on elsewhere in the league. I'd be willing to there are quite a few NFL players on each team that like to partake of the "sticky icky."
    I have a hard time believing that Bengals players are just more naive than the players on other teams, or that there aren't Clermont Counties and Boone Counties near every NFL city. I wouldn't think that that situation would be unique to this area.

My question is, if you feel the Bengals should take a hard line and make an example of a player who gets busted for pot or for drunken driving, does that mean the Reds should do the same thing when their players step out of line? I'm still amazed at the outrage towards Bengals players when Ryan Freel has essentially gotten a free pass for his transgressions. Granted, the Reds haven't had 9 players get busted. But still, Ryan Freel was downright plastered when he was busted for drunk driving. I never heard sanctimonious calls for his release after his arrest and what he did was arguable much more dangerous to society at large than what some of these Bengals players have been arrested for. Where do you draw the line? Do you have a no tolerance policy, or do you wait for the 5th guy who was unlucky enough to get caught?
    I don't think we can look at some of these cases in isolation and say that they should be dismissed from the team. Joseph's is a case in point. But there have been cases in the past year (especially the multiple offenders) with players that should have been kicked off the team and not brought back. When the players see these cases get a slap on the wrist from the coach, they know how much they can get away with and remain on the team. That's what had led to the string of nine. If Lewis had dealt with those first, more serious, situations appropriately, I don't think the other eight would have followed, or at least not most of them. Now that the precedent is set for tolerance, it would be unfair to Joseph to punish him.

As for Freel, he should have been suspended from the team without pay for some number of games. (The "without pay" part may be forbidden in his contract, I don't know.)

Turn Off Ads?