Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

Re: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

Looks like the deal is for between $750,000 and a $1 million dollars. He turned down 2 year deals from the Nationals and Pirates.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6400990

Blue Jays, Ohka agree on one-year deal
    The Blue Jays, adding another piece to their starting rotation, have reached preliminary agreement with free-agent right-hander Tomo Ohka on a one-year contract, FOXSports.com has learned.

The size of the contract was not immediately known, but it is believed that Ohka will receive between $750,000 and $1 million. The deal will not become official until Ohka passes a physical. He missed more than two months with the Brewers last season due to a partial tear of his right rotator cuff.

The addition of Ohka, 30, will give the Jays five veterans for their rotation — right-handers Roy Halladay and A.J. Burnett, left-hander Gustavo Chacin and righties Ohka and John Thomson. Righties Casey Janssen and Shaun Marcum, both 26, are among the other rotation options.

Ohka's agent, Jim Masteralexis, said that the pitcher turned down two-year offers from the Nationals and Pirates because he wanted to re-establish himself with a contender and re-enter the free-agent market next off-season.

"We think that it's important to get him to a club that is competitive and that has a good offense," Masteralexis told FOXSports.com. "He has never had run support in his career. The A.L. East is a tough place to pitch, but we think Tomo will prove that he is healthy and that he can compete at the highest level."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I wasn't trying to rip Elizardo, but the guy just didn't seem up to the task to me. I just thought, and this is my opinion, that he was overwhelmed last season.

And I know that he got hurt, but how many innings had he thrown in a season before last year? I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't withstand a #3 starter's workload this season without breaking down again. I'm not saying he won't work out in the long run, I happen to think that he will, but with that being said if we're relying on him to be our #3 starter this year, we're in a world of trouble. In 2008, maybe that strategy will work. But not 2007.

If we're going to compete this year, we need someone that has a better chance of working out in the 3 spot, and I think Ohka has the best shot out of anyone else that we have within the organization. He's not the pitcher that he was, but he's still better than anyone we have, IMO.

Also, I have a hard time believing Milton, Lohse, and Elizardo will ALL be healthy for the entire season. Ohka would give us more depth, and more options, because some of the options are bound to fail.

BUT, with all of that being said, I'll take a 120 loss season before I sign Ohka to a Marquis-like deal. If the price is reasonable, I'd love to have him. Otherwise, he's not worth the risk.
    In 2005, AAA + MLB EZ pitched 152 2/3 innings. In 2006 after being woefully mismanaged by Narron, EZ pitched a total of 104 MLB innings, 20 at AAA and 4 at Dayton in what was a ridiculous roster move after the All-Star break.

I think EZ is ready, IF HEALTHY to hit 160+ IP as a starter for the Reds.

yeah, I'm an EZ fan. His delivery is very smooth, and IMO he's got what it takes to succeed.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?