Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

Re: Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

yuck... we aren't even going to compete this year, why should we go and sign him for a year? Let's give some guys we already got a shot. I think EZ or Paul Wilson (yes, I said it, Paul Wilson) could do well... besides, we got Homer Bailey coming sometime this season (probably). We don't need to spend money on a less than mediocare pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?
    Elizardo went down way to early to be considered part of the pennant race. He has shown real strides to be a solid member of the rotation. Minus injuries that hampered with his 06 season.. Elizardo could put up numbers comparable to Milton and Lohse if healthy.. and those guess are locks for the rotation.

Getting Okha would be a really, really good move by Wayne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    yuck... we aren't even going to compete this year, why should we go and sign him for a year? Let's give some guys we already got a shot. I think EZ or Paul Wilson (yes, I said it, Paul Wilson) could do well... besides, we got Homer Bailey coming sometime this season (probably). We don't need to spend money on a less than mediocare pitcher.
    The question is how far away are we from competing in a not-so-tough NL.
    If one more pitcher could make a difference i say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    The question is how far away are we from competing in a not-so-tough NL.
    If one more pitcher could make a difference i say go for it.

If thats all we need, and my thoughts last year where always we needed a solid reliever and another starter to really win the division. Then my main thing is, waste all the money in the world to get Ohka only if you think Ohka can provide the time with the sense that "hey we have a chance to win today!" everytime he hits the mound.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    If thats all we need, and my thoughts last year where always we needed a solid reliever and another starter to really win the division. Then my main thing is, waste all the money in the world to get Ohka only if you think Ohka can provide the time with the sense that "hey we have a chance to win today!" everytime he hits the mound.
    Which definally isn't the case.

The problem is ohka is going to want a contract similar to marquis. Which im not willing to do. I think lohse has just as much potential for 07 and we already have him signed for the year. I dont see us signing another free agent pitcher till miltons contract is gone after this year. If in 08 we still have harang, arroyo and bailey should be ready to dominate the league for a full year by 08 and then we use the money we save from milton to go aquire another solid starter, we could have the best rotation in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    The problem is ohka is going to want a contract similar to marquis. Which im not willing to do. I think lohse has just as much potential for 07 and we already have him signed for the year. I dont see us signing another free agent pitcher till miltons contract is gone after this year. If in 08 we still have harang, arroyo and bailey should be ready to dominate the league for a full year by 08 and then we use the money we save from milton to go aquire another solid starter, we could have the best rotation in the NL.
    I agree 100%.

Lohse will be worth the money he gets this year. He wants to cash in ( he is a free agent at the end of 2007 ). We are stuck with Milton.
    At the end of this year we can go out and try to get another starter.
    2008 rotation: Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Free agent & EZ ( assuming EZ pitches well this year ).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_489736.html

This article here says Ohka only wants a one-year deal so he can test the market again next year. This would definatly make him a more desireable target.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wasn't trying to rip Elizardo, but the guy just didn't seem up to the task to me. I just thought, and this is my opinion, that he was overwhelmed last season.

And I know that he got hurt, but how many innings had he thrown in a season before last year? I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't withstand a #3 starter's workload this season without breaking down again. I'm not saying he won't work out in the long run, I happen to think that he will, but with that being said if we're relying on him to be our #3 starter this year, we're in a world of trouble. In 2008, maybe that strategy will work. But not 2007.

If we're going to compete this year, we need someone that has a better chance of working out in the 3 spot, and I think Ohka has the best shot out of anyone else that we have within the organization. He's not the pitcher that he was, but he's still better than anyone we have, IMO.

Also, I have a hard time believing Milton, Lohse, and Elizardo will ALL be healthy for the entire season. Ohka would give us more depth, and more options, because some of the options are bound to fail.

BUT, with all of that being said, I'll take a 120 loss season before I sign Ohka to a Marquis-like deal. If the price is reasonable, I'd love to have him. Otherwise, he's not worth the risk.

I am not crazy about Ohka, I would rather take a chance on bringing someone in that had a high ceiling and has not lived up to it because of injuries or not making the right adjustments - say like a Armas. If we are not going to bring someone in that is going to improve our rotation much I would save the money and use it later

Rotoworld is reporting Ohka's signed a one-year deal with the Blue Jay's. So much for the mystery team.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Just heard it. He rejected a 2 year deal because he thinks he can get more on the market next year.

My guess is that Ohka gets pounded by the Red Sox and Yankees playing in that division and doesn't get the contract he wants next year, either.

If he wanted to settle for a 1 year contract to get a good contract next year, he should have stayed in the NL.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Let's be honest guys, we weren't the mystery team anyways. We just weren't...

Turn Off Ads?