Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Here's the guy I want

Here's the guy I want

Come on Wayne...continue your Minny fetish! Could be cheap and he has some upside since he is still young.

Twins agreed to terms with RHP Ramon Ortiz, who had been with the Nationals, on a one-year, $3.1 million contract.

The Twins wouldn't have given him that much money unless they planned on including him in their rotation. He'll join Johan Santana, Carlos Silva and Boof Bonser, leaving just one spot open for Matt Garza, Sidney Ponson, Scott Baker and Glen Perkins. Baker seems to be the biggest loser here.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Here's the guy I want

What do we got to offer?

I was thinking the same thing reading rotoworld. Not sure what it would take to get him, but they could also have Manos de Oro back.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Maybe Wayne is just waiting for Minnesota to release Ortiz and then pick him up to continue the Minny fetish

Freel + Stanton for Baker + Matt Guierrer.

Yeah..That'll happen..
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

If anyone is still complaining about the Reds not getting a #3 starter look at how much Ortiz is getting and he's horrible. Gil Meche is FAIR and got $11 million a year. If the Reds want a #3 starter, they are going to have to pay Eric Milton money and it will probably have to be for longer than the 3 years Milton got.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    If anyone is still complaining about the Reds not getting a #3 starter look at how much Ortiz is getting and he's horrible. Gil Meche is FAIR and got $11 million a year. If the Reds want a #3 starter, they are going to have to pay Eric Milton money and it will probably have to be for longer than the 3 years Milton got.
    Half true, half not.

We can make trades, a batter is easy to devolp than a pitcher for us. Trades might be our best bet. Does this mean Dunn? Does this mean Denorfia? Does it even mean Edwin or Brandon? If so, perhaps this team needs to start thinking of whats easier to replace. A hapless fielding power hitter or a true number three?

Oaklands big power came from low-risk high-reward free agent's like Thomas. Good pitching obtian from the farm system (draft) and trades. Everything fell into place. My question is why stockpile relief pitching when we should be stockpiling young starters, even if it risk's a complete and total fire sale? Trade Dunn, Griffey, Loshe, Milton, Conine, Hatteberg, and the over age relievers.

Look at Florida, they might have stumbled last year, but a core of Dontrelle and Cabera still around? We can keep a core of Phillips, EE, Harrang, Votto, Bruce and Bailey. Do things get easier to fill in the blanks? We take a risk, but whats the difference? A failure next year is a failure with or without the big name talent to go with it. But a failure with talent that can only get better, and you're talking more the learning curve than you are "well theres always next year" for the umpteenth year straight.

Why not fail with players who have higher cielings than what we have if it means by 2008 till whenever we can only build up the farm and get GOOD free-agents?

Is this not what other "small market" teams do?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    What do we got to offer?
    If WK really believes he can compete this season, he should push for this guy or someone like him. There is no way he will win with 2 pitchers and a decent, at best, lineup.

I believe Baker probably is one of the front runners for the number five spot and not truly an excess. The Twins are a team which just lost Liriano and Radke while signing Ortiz and Ponson. Silva was barely able to hold his rotation spot last season. I don't believe the Twins see a surplus of talent but a stockpile of hope and prayer. Baker is solidly in their mix of hopefuls.
    Last edited by Spitball; 01-22-2007 at 11:23 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    blech. While I don't think Phil Dumatrait is any great shakes, I think we see EZ take a huge stride this year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Wood is who I would offer for Baker the rest of the deal can be just a few bits I believe and that is what the Twins would want a prospect with equal upside as Baker. Twins buy cheap it is how they have built there team. Another thought Might be to offer them Milton Loo. He is close riser eta 2 years maybe even. SS is a position they may look to fill in 2 or 3 years.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    What do we got to offer?
    Eric Milton, of course.

Turn Off Ads?