Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Things that don't make any sense at first glance.....

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Things that don't make any sense at first glance.....

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Care to elaborate a little more on that.

By the way, thanks for the great reply.
    What you go to a retailer and buy is the consumer version of the product, but not the tour version of the product. This goes the same for hard goods (clubs) and balls. For balls, it's largely a cloak and dagger type thing, where if say Nike starts mass producing the balls they provide each individual pro in their stable, someone like Bridgestone or Callaway or Taylor Made could then learn a lot about Nike's ball just by going to Golfsmith and buying a dozen of Nike One (insert color here). When you combine that issue with the fact that a pro spec ball would be completely wrong for the general public, it also makes for a bad business move. Joe Q Public predominantly needs a ball to help with distance and loft. Billy T Tour Player doesn't need help with either one of those.

As for the club side of the equation, last time I checked only something silly like 8% of the world was a single digit handicapper, and of that 8%, only 2% are legitimately scratch golfers who could attempt to make a living on a playing tour. The reason you don't Tiger's set of irons on the rack, or Sergio's, or Adam Scott's, or pick your favorite tour player is that the clubs they used are designed specifically to not hit the ball straight. You may have heard the term during a TV broadcast "the dreaded straight ball". Every touring pro is attempting to shape a shot on every shot, and with the clubs available to the public, those clubs attempt to do nothing but try and hit the ball straight. The biggest difference is in drivers. For years, Vijay Singh has been hitting various models of drivers that are typically between 6 degrees and 9.5 degrees of loft on the face, and the club face is anywhere between 2 degrees and 6 degrees open. Basically, this means if Vijay were to grab a driver off the rack that was 9.5 degrees of loft, the club face would be way too closed or shut for him, since your consumer version of drivers typically go between 3 degress shut or closed, and there are a few models that are actually 1 degree open. By hitting a club that is too closed faced, or shut faced, Vijay will hook the piss out of that driver all day. When you look at iron sets, the difference is largely in the design of the sole, and the amount of offset. The sole, on the bottom of the club, is typically very rounded for your consumer, this allows him or her to get thru the turf without any trouble, whereas a tour player like a sole that typically is very sharp and digs. As for the offset, offset is put in place to help square the club face at impact to alleviate slicing. Most tour players draw and or hook the ball, so if you have more offset, that ball has no place to go but left.

Hopefully this helps, I can go on for days about all things golf.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'd add tennis to that list too..... and Nascar.
    Tennis has quite a bit of action and motion, and the players are in direct competition with each other. That's way more exciting than watching one guy hit a ball with a crooked stick and then slowly walk after it.

Nascar, though -- ugh. Rednecks turning left.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I have found that people who don't understand or play golf usually find it boring.

No biggie. Makes it easier to get tee times.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I have found that people who don't understand or play golf usually find it boring.

No biggie. Makes it easier to get tee times.
    True. And the thread is "things that don't make sense *at first glance*..."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Actually, they aren't interstate highways. They are just highways. H1 H2 H3, etc. There is no I in front of them, like I 75, I 71, etc...

Quote from the Website: The completion of H-3 in 1997, H-3 has emerged as one of the most beautiful segments of the Interstate System.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    True. And the thread is "things that don't make sense *at first glance*..."

Point taken.

So, you've only glanced at golf once?

:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I think each of Hawaii's islands should become seperate states just so the highway system would make sense.

I mean, it'd be pretty cool to add 19 more states.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post

Quote from the Website: The completion of H-3 in 1997, H-3 has emerged as one of the most beautiful segments of the Interstate System.
    Interesting!

When I was there in 2004, I was corrected by a local when I asked where the interstate was to go meet my friend at Schofield Barracks. I thought I was looking for I 1, I was really looking for H 1. He exact words "Son, how in the hell can it be an interstate when it doesn't leave this island, let alone go to another state?"

I guess it's considered part of the "Interstate System", but isn't an interstate. Those silly silly Hawaiians.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I enjoy playing golf, quite a bit actually. And I understand the game rather well.

I would just rather watch paint dry than watch somebody else play golf. if I'm participating, it's fun. If I'm an observer...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I guess it's considered part of the "Interstate System", but isn't an interstate. Those silly silly Hawaiians.
    There's no interstate highways in Alaska, either. Obviously.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

This is an actual road sign in Alaska.

I know a lot of really worthless stuff...

While the name implies that Interstate highways cross state lines, many do not. Rather, the name means they are funded federally with money shared between the states.

There are many interstate highways that are actually intrastate.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I know a lot of really worthless stuff...

While the name implies that Interstate highways cross state lines, many do not. Rather, the name means they are funded federally with money shared between the states.

There are many interstate highways that are actually intrastate.
    I still want Hawaii to divide into 19 seperate states.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Why does the sun lighten our hair but it darkens our skin?

How come women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?

How come you never see the headline: "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Why didn't Noah swat those two darned mosquitoes?

Turn Off Ads?