Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that don't make any sense at first glance.....

Re: Things that don't make any sense at first glance.....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Why people still call some golf clubs "woods" when they have zero wood in them at all.

The new lingo is Driver and Fairway Metal, people.

You've all gotten the memo.
    And people who still call the other clubs 'irons'. What's up with that?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

Good point. If you follow the "woods" analogy, you'd have to call your irons "investment cast" or "forged".

"Hey caddie.... hand me my investment cast cavity back six iron!!"
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Good point. If you follow the "woods" analogy, you'd have to call your irons "investment cast" or "forged".

"Hey caddie.... hand me my investment cast cavity back six iron!!"
    "Should I try a knock down 8-titanium or full 9-copper?"
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The popularity of golf, especially as a spectator sport.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Do you think the technology is going to stall at some point? Do you find the most technical advance has happened with the clubs or the ball? Do you ever see the PGA adopting a policy that limits the advances, particularly in the ball?

Would value your opinion since you are an insider. By the way, I still have a persimmon, and I still take it to the range from time to time, just to see if I can still swing it.
    Technology won't stall due to the fact that when wound golf balls and their various ranges of compression (70 up to 100) people thought there was no future alternative than a solid core wound with rubberbands, and then with a surlyn or balata cover. Now we have 2, 3 and 4 piece golf balls, where the main piece is a solid core, and then the other pieces are other covers, that actually spin inside of each other. Will we see more covers? Will we see a change in the core material? My guess would be the latter, seeing as right now the industry has determined there are two ways to make the outer cover for a golf ball... thermoset, or thermoplast. Will those continue to be the only ways to make the outer cover? Probably not. But with the popularity of the Pro V1, I can't imagine companies really trying to sink a lot of money into R&D when they know they are facing an uphill battle to dethrone the mighty Pro V.

From the time of Ben Hogan to the present, the golf ball has made the most difference from a technological standpoint. That's not to say equipment hasn't come along way, but if anything, the equipment has gone more towards the general public and your casual golfer than pure shot makers. Distance is the big thing equipment has aided in the last 60+ years. Guys that have no business hitting it long are hitting it long. From a driver and fairway metal standpoint, that's largely due to clubmakers finding stronger, yet lighter materials which allow the ball to maximize the trampoline effect off the clubface at impact. Golf equipment, much like metal bats, have restrictions on velocity. For Golf, there are 2 numbers, .830 and .860 which are the US and European Coefficent Of Resistance numbers, or COR. If your COR is higher than allowed, then it's an illegal club, and too much energy is being transfered from clubface to ball, which has the most impact on distance. The trick they are figuring out for this era is how to make 100% of the clubface at that legal COR number. Logically, the more off-center you strike the ball, you will go farther away from the COR number. Clubmakers want to be able to sell you a club that you could hit it out on the toe all day, or in on the toe, and you're gonna get as close to the same distance as if you find the sweet spot every time. So far, Cobra is leading that race, with Callaway running a close 2nd.

Club technology can only progress as metallurgy progresses, and new materials become readily available. Club technology will only aid the struggling masses, and will not impact any of the tours. Most of those players could tie a toaster to the end of a whiffle ball bat and still play better golf than 85% of the world. The clubs that the majority of the touring pros use are not, have not, and will never be available for retail sale. The same goes for the ball technology.

As for the PGA trying to adopt some sort of policy limiting ball flight, it would have to be approved first by the USGA and also be approved by the R&A (Royal & Ancient). The USGA has actually used Ohio as a lab rat for such a limited ball, and it has not gotten great reviews at all by elite amateurs. Two tourneys in Ohio last year had the entire field use the same golf ball, and even the winner didn't like the ball. There are COR limits on equipment, and there are spin rate limits for balls, where they have to spin within a certain range, cannot spin too little and cannot spin too much, but that's ultimately all the governing bodies can do without making the natives completely restless.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    True, the majority of clubs out there today are various forms of stainless steel, titanium and pressed carbon.

Calling an iron an "iron" is a little less amusing than someone calling today's drivers or fairway metal "woods".

The clubs that the majority of the touring pros use are not, have not, and will never be available for retail sale. The same goes for the ball technology.
    Care to elaborate a little more on that.

By the way, thanks for the great reply.

By the way, I wish there were a lot more golfers that looked like Natalie Gulbis, don't you?

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

How do they make Teflon stick to the pan?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Would the ocean be deeper if it didn't have all those sponges in it?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    Jumbo-Shrimp...
    Deafening Silence
    Military Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Deafening Silence
    Military Intelligence
    That's classy.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The ticket pricing system at GAB...

Code:
    2007 Ticket Prices

COLOR 	 SECTION 	REGULAR 	SELECT * 	PREMIER **
    	Infield Box 	$40 	$42 	$45
    	Field Box 	$32 	$34 	$37
    	View Level Box 	$20 	$22 	$25
    	Mezzanine 	$20 	$22 	$25
    	Moon Deck 	$20 	$22 	$25
    	Terrace 	$19 	$21 	$24
    	View Level 	$13 	$15 	$18
    	Bleachers 	$10 	$12 	$15
    	Outer View 	$5 	$7 	$10
    PREMIUM SEATING
    COLOR 	 SECTION 	REGULAR 	SELECT * 	PREMIER **
    	Diamond Seats 	$225 	$227 	$230
    	Scout Seats 	$75 	$77 	$80
    	Lower Club 	$65 	$67 	$70
    	Dugout Box 	$65 	$67 	$70
    	Club Home 	$65 	$67 	$70
    	Club Seating 	$50 	$52 	$55
    Riverfront Stadium had six different ticket prices before adding the Top Six seats: Blue (1 price), Green (2 prices), Yellow (1 price), and Red (2 prices).

Of course, they split it up quite a bit in Riverfront's latter years, but at one time it was very simple.

Oh, and check out this article I ran across a few minutes ago while digging around:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A963948260

Reds to Retain Ticket Prices

AP
    Published: October 2, 1985

The Cincinnati Reds have decided to leave their single-game ticket prices unchanged for 1986 home games at Riverfront Stadium.

''There had been some discussion about raising ticket prices, but I want to show the fans how much we appreciate their support,'' the Reds' owner, Marge Schott, said. ''We are committed to keeping Reds baseball at a price our fans and their families can afford.''

The National League team's 1985 home attendance of 1,834,619 is the Reds' highest since 1980 and is 558,732 greater than the 1984 total of 1,275,887, an increase of 43.8 percent.

The Reds charge from $7 to $8 for box seats and from $3.50 to $6 for reserved seats.
    BTW, hot dogs were $1 in those days, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The popularity of golf, especially as a spectator sport.
    I'd add tennis to that list too..... and Nascar.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

How do they make Teflon stick to the pan?

Actually, they aren't interstate highways. They are just highways. H1 H2 H3, etc. There is no I in front of them, like I 75, I 71, etc...

Turn Off Ads?