Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscar nominations are out

Re: Oscar nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    I think it's about family and getting along with family no matter how ****ed up they are. I guess most people either loved it or hated it.

I agree with that. I thought it made a great comment on beauty pagents for kids. I was LMAO at the choice of the little girl's song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I agree with that. I thought it made a great comment on beauty pagents for kids. I was LMAO at the choice of the little girl's song.
    I think there is a slight backlash against the dysfunctional, ironic comedies that make fun of the 70's (IE Squid and Whale, Running with Scissors, Tannenbaum's etc..) Most of this backlash I find is coming from folks who grew up in homes or around situations that were equally dysfunctional and they find little charm in reliving that.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I think there is a slight backlash against the dysfunctional, ironic comedies that make fun of the 70's (IE Squid and Whale, Running with Scissors, Tannenbaum's etc..) Most of this backlash I find is coming from folks who grew up in homes or around situations that were equally dysfunctional and they find little charm in reliving that.
    Interesting take. In my case, I'm guessing that I don't like those films because I was too young to really remember the 70's for the most part. Most of my memories start in the 80's.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    To this day, I do not understand the love for Little Miss Sunshine. That movie was flat out awful.
    I thought it was one of the 10 best movies I've ever seen. I mean it. It had everything, tragedy, conflict, comedy, suspense, a message, etc. It was perfectly written and casted. It's a long shot but I will stay up to see if it wins.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I loved this picture too and it struck me that it was about transformation all around. Of the flicks you mentioned, the only one I hated was the Royal Tannenbaums. I was surprised that Arkin got the nod over Steve Carrell. Arkin was good, but I thought Carrell gave a great performance. We finally got our 18 year old son to watch it this week (he loves Carrell on The Office), he loved it too.

I can't believe the academy snubbed Stallone.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I believe he is getting a special lifetime best actor ever award. Or something like that. Actually, for the first time in ages - Sly was NOT nominated for a Razzie this year!!

The only of the best picture nominees I have seen is Little Miss Sunshine - I was rather entertained by it, and I do agree that Steve should have been nominated as well. I love Arkan...but he did not really stand out to me.
    I've unfortunately not had a chance to see any of the others as of yet...mainly because the POS theater in Piqua refuses to show anything which is not a "standard" movie (ie, Larry the Cable Guy, Santa Clause 3, etc.), and none have been released on DVD yet.
    I was a bit surprised to not see more nominations for United 93. It actually was a rather good movie, and seems like just the kind of flick the Acadamy would fall for.

I know! Frank Stallone elevated the role of "Dinner Patron" to unbelievable heights in 'Rocky Balboa.'
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Put me down for loving Little Miss Sunshine, particularly the very end and the very beginning (the first family dinner scene).

There was definitely some over the top stuff in the middle (the dead body smuggling, Greg Kinnear's too-intense-to-be-believable part), but I was able to suspend belief enough to be touched by it.
    Stick to your guns.

The lack of Borat in at least the Best Actor category...oh man. :thumbdown

Honestly though, Sacha Baron Cohen deserves mad props for his character, not even when he had his 'victims' sign releases to be in the film did he break the Borat persona. Truly amazing (not to mention they didn't wash the suit, for effect. )

Little Miss Sunshine was fantastic, IMO.

Loved it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Saw the Queen last night. Very enjoyable. The wife and I ran home, and read a bunch of internet stuff to make up for our ignorance about the royal family.

The guy playing Tony Blair was great. He easily could have been nominated, in addition to Helen Mirren.
    Stick to your guns.

I'm actually shocked that Pan's Labyrinth didn't get a nomination for Best Picture along with it's Best Foreign Film nom.
    Seriously. When's the last time the Academy got even a majority of its picks right? Stugatz.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?