Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations are out

Oscar nominations are out

Complete list of the 79th Annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills, Calif.:

1. Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

2. Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

3. Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

5. Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

6. Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

7. Foreign Language Film: "After the Wedding," Denmark; "Days of Glory (Indigenes)," Algeria; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Water," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, "Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal."

9. Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Iris Yama$hita and Paul Haggis, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House."

11. Art Direction: "Dreamgirls," "The Good Shepherd," "Pan's Labyrinth," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "The Prestige."

12. Cinematography: "The Black Dahlia," "Children of Men," "The Illusionist," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Prestige."

13. Sound Mixing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Dreamgirls," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

14. Sound Editing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

15. Original Score: "Babel," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Good German," Thomas Newman; "Notes on a Scandal," Philip Glass; "Pan's Labyrinth," Javier Navarrete; "The Queen," Alexandre Desplat.

16. Original Song: "I Need to Wake Up" from "An Inconvenient Truth," Melissa Etheridge; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; "Love You I Do" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; "Our Town" from "Cars," Randy Newman; "Patience" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

17. Costume: "Curse of the Golden Flower," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Marie Antoinette," "The Queen."

18. Documentary Feature: "Deliver Us From Evil," "An Inconvenient Truth," " Iraq in Fragments," "Jesus Camp," "My Country, My Country."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Blood of Yingzhou District," "Recycled Life," "Rehearsing a Dream," "Two Hands."

20. Film Editing: "Babel," "Blood Diamond," "Children of Men," "The Departed," "United 93."

21. Makeup: "Apocalypto," "Click," "Pan's Labyrinth."

22. Animated Short Film: "The Danish Poet," "Lifted," "The Little Matchgirl," "Maestro," "No Time for Nuts."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)," "Eramos Pocos (One Too Many)," "Helmer & Son," "The Saviour," " West Bank Story."

24. Visual Effects: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Poseidon," "Superman Returns."
    Last edited by Chip R; 01-23-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oscar nominations are out

To this day, I do not understand the love for Little Miss Sunshine. That movie was flat out awful.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Borat!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Wow. Never in a million years did I ever think that Kelly Leak, Sherman Klump, and Dirk Diggler would get nominated for an Academy Award.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Wow. Never in a million years did I ever think that Kelly Leak, Sherman Klump, and Dirk Diggler would get nominated for an Academy Award.
    Good one! I did not realize the kid was still around.

Meanwhile, remember several years ago when Eastwood was practically an industry joke, with Dirty Harry cracks abound?
    Now, almost everything the guy has touched since Unforgiven has been magic. Kinda cool to see, actually.

La Dolce Vita

I've seen all the Best Picture nominees except "Letter From Iwo Jima", which is next on our 'to see' list (saw "Flags of Our Fathers"...and I agree, Clint has become one of our very best filmmakers.)

I like all of these films alot and think they were excellent choices. Since I haven't seen "Dreamgirls" yet, I can't comment on the apparent surprise that it wasn't nominated.

If pressed, I might have to choose "Babel".
    teach tolerance.

I'm used to Oscar nominations being full of movies I haven't seen, but this year it's full of movies I haven't even heard of. Are there a bunch of oddball nominations this year or am I just that far out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm used to Oscar nominations being full of movies I haven't seen, but this year it's full of movies I haven't even heard of. Are there a bunch of oddball nominations this year or am I just that far out of it?
    I'm in the same boat with you. There are tons I'd not even heard of, 'The Queen'? 'Babel'? 'Half Nelson'? 'Venus'? I've never heard of these, at least upon first read. Someone might describe a trailer and I might remember one of them, I dunno. I've only heard of Pan's Labyrinth because I have a friend at New Line who was involved and she said its great, but I've still yet to receive my promo copy! lol

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

University of Cincinnati

Babel is by far the worst movie I have ever seen....EVER. It's like the producer wanted to rewrite crash and make it 1,569,241 times worse.
    THE University of Cincinnati

The Oscar Madison awards?

The Queen was great, Mirran will sweep the selection, as will Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    To this day, I do not understand the love for Little Miss Sunshine. That movie was flat out awful.
    I loved that movie. I think it should win best picture. A kid who only reads Nietzche and doesn't speak and a gay Proust scholar who tried to kill himself and they look at each other like "What's wrong with you?" And a Grampa who is a huge perve, but cares about his grand daughter more than anything. I think it's about family and getting along with family no matter how ****ed up they are. I guess most people either loved it or hated it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    I loved that movie. I think it should win best picture. A kid who only reads Nietzche and doesn't speak and a gay Proust scholar who tried to kill himself and they look at each other like "What's wrong with you?" And a Grampa who is a huge perve, but cares about his grand daughter more than anything. I think it's about family and getting along with family no matter how ****ed up they are. I guess most people either loved it or hated it.

I loved it, too, and I think it's about what you think it's about. Just bought a copy of the dvd the other day.

If Amanda Breslin were to win the best supporting actress award she would be the second youngest actress by five months (after Tatum O'Neal for "Paper Moon") to ever win. She's 10.
    teach tolerance.

I'm actually shocked that Pan's Labyrinth didn't get a nomination for Best Picture along with it's Best Foreign Film nom.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'm actually shocked that Pan's Labyrinth didn't get a nomination for Best Picture along with it's Best Foreign Film nom.

We saw that over the weekend...amazing, disturbing film. Babel and Letters From Iwo Jima are both in foreign languages for the most part also.

I like the spicy, international flavor mixed into this year's nominee's...across the board.
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?