Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What was the number one show the year you were born?

La Dolce Vita

Re: What was the number one show the year you were born?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I majored in Video/Film, I had a classes on Video Art, Russian Cinema, German Silent Film, French New Wave, etc.... I could write a thesis on the fantasy television and the Vietnam war... or maybe I'll wait and do it on all the terrorist driven cop/forensic drama of current television and our current administration?

That last idea sounds especially interesting. I wouldn't mind reading the book you write from your thesis.

I'm wanting that new Janus collection of 50 films, when and if they discount it some more. There are quite a few of them I still haven't seen.

What was your favorite course?
    teach tolerance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What was your favorite course?
    16mm silent film by a wide margin, I loved to cut film, more then shooting it and sound complicates film, so silent was pleasing because of the image centric approach. If I had to go through school again I'd focus on editing and pre-production, that's more attuned to what I do now in the software business. I also had a great History Of Japanese Film class, it was a good look at their film culture, which has always been as different as their culture is to ours on the average plan. I really like Yasujiro Ozu's films.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Bonanza. That was actually a golden age for programs looking through the 1965 list, Beverly Hillibilles, Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy...

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    16mm silent film by a wide margin, I loved to cut film, more then shooting it and sound complicates film, so silent was pleasing because of the image centric approach. If I had to go through school again I'd focus on editing and pre-production, that's more attuned to what I do now in the software business. I also had a great History Of Japanese Film class, it was a good look at their film culture, which has always been as different as their culture is to ours on the average plan. I really like Yasujiro Ozu's films.
    Had tears in my eyes throughout Tokyo Story. Seen Early Summer. Beautiful pieces of life.

More Kurosawa, most actually, then Ozu, though.
    teach tolerance.

Laverne and Shirley, and Three's Company

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Mine's Laugh-In, too.

In looking at my year's list (1969) it's interesting how many shows were named for their star. Look at these boring titles:

7. The Red Skelton Hour
    10. The Doris Day Show
    11. The Bill Cosby Show
    12. The Jim Nabors Show
    13. The Carol Burnett Show
    14. The Dean Martin Show
    17. The Johnny Cash Show
    20. The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour
    27. The Ed Sullivan Show

C'mon guys, let's try something original!
    I think the networks considered renaming "The Dean Martin Show" as "The Johnny Cash Show" and calling "The Johnny Cash Show" as "The Carol Burnett Show", but thought it might be too confusing.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I Love Lucy... and I really didn't. Just like I couldn't stand Here's Lucy, The Lucy Show, and all the other shows she had.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Stat geek...and proud

Laverne and Shirley. 1978.

Turn Off Ads?