Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics from my job on the Reds Ground Crew (100+ Photos Added 1/26)

Pics from my job on the Reds Ground Crew (100+ Photos Added 1/26)

Hello everyone. First, I'd like to apologize if you guys feel that this is posted in the wrong forum. I just wanted to make sure everyone could see it. Anyway, I'm obviously new to Reds Zone, if the post count didn't already give that away, haha. I worked as a member of the Reds Ground Crew for the past three seasons. I must say, it was an awesome experience, especially being that I'm a lifelong Reds fan. I graduated from Miami Univ. of Ohio in 2003. I took the job with the Reds as a method of getting my "foot in the door", in an attempt to work toward a full time career in professional sports. At the end of my first season, I began working for WCPO-tv Channel 9 also...another opportunity to build my resume.

I am now employed by MLB and MLB.com and work with the Pittsburgh Pirates. It's a job payed by MLB directly out of NYC, but with the Pirates. Hopefully that makes sense. So, my resume building continues and I'm extremely anxious for baseball to begin. Unfortunately, I wont be sitting in the dugout for each and every Red's home game, but I'll be working toward that full time career in MLB.

So, that's my introduction. I'll share some of the pictures that I took during my experience with the Reds.

Here is a picture of Griffey heading out to center to play defense. This also gives a perspective of the view from where the grounds crew stands.

Arroyo and Ross during the game.

Hatteberg, Kearns, and LaRue during the game.

Dunn aka Big Donkey...after either hitting a HR or striking out, haha.

Brandon Phillips. The team calls him "B Real".

Dunn going to play Defense.

Me and Dunn. That was my first season.

Me and the Mayor.

I'm gonna upload some more...
    Last edited by Grounds_Crew; 01-26-2007 at 12:19 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pics from Ground Crew - UPDATED with a LOT more PICS

Here are some more....

Me and Larkin.

Me and Castro.

Me and Wily Mo.

Another picture taken during the game.

One of my favorites. The bat rack and helmet rack.

The team was on defense.

This is a great picture as well, also one of my favorites. This is where they players leave their hats and gloves when on offense.

Again...more to come...
    Last edited by Grounds_Crew; 01-25-2007 at 11:44 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Pics from my job on the Reds Ground Crew

thanks, welcome, and congrats on the mlb job.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Great shots, good stuff.... what's the mixture they pour on the mound to dry it made of? Who cleans up all those sunflower seed shells and Aurilia's amyl nitrate capsules and how far is the bathroom from the bench?

Great pics. Welcome!

Here's more...again...

Remember Corey Lidle? He pitched for us on opening day my first year as a member of the crew. This picture was taken during a rainy night. The mound was wet, so we had to interrupt the game and drop a bag of Turface on the mound to absorb the rain. The picture was in the Enquirer the next day.

This next set is my absolute favorite. They were taken during Larkin's last game as a Red. He was taken out in the 4th inning so that the fan's could applaud him. I took these pictures as Larkin was walking off for the last time in his career. What a great athlete.

That's all I have for now. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures and maybe I'll get to know some of you.

Senor Votto

That seems like a pretty cool job being around the Cincinnati Reds all day

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Great shots, good stuff.... what's the mixture they pour on the mound to dry it made of? Who cleans up all those sunflower seed shells and Aurilia's amyl nitrate capsules and how far is the bathroom from the bench?

Haha...so the questions begin. Don't worry, I get lots of questions from my friends and family ALL THE TIME.

The mixture that the infield, mound, and home plate are made of is called Turface. It's a really fine material that feels a lot like kitty litter. It looks GREAT after we water the infield just before the game. I'm sure you've seen that.

As for the sunflower seeds. The stuff in the stands is all cleaned up after every game by a cleaning crew, nothing to do with us. The restroom for the players is directly behind the dugout just down the steps. Any more questions? HAHA.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    Haha...so the questions begin. Don't worry, I get lots of questions from my friends and family ALL THE TIME.

The mixture that the infield, mound, and home plate are made of is called Turface. It's a really fine material that feels a lot like kitty litter. It looks GREAT after we water the infield just before the game. I'm sure you've seen that.

As for the sunflower seeds. The stuff in the stands is all cleaned up after every game by a cleaning crew, nothing to do with us. The restroom for the players is directly behind the dugout just down the steps. Any more questions? HAHA.
    have you ever seen any of the Reds getting vitamin shots?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    have you ever seen any of the Reds getting vitamin shots?

Haha...I knew that was coming. Nope, but I did run into Barry Bonds. That dude didn't even make eye contact and I walked RIGHT past him.

Thanks for posting the pictures and good luck in pursuing your dream.

Working grounds crew, are there any jobs or responsibilities that you do that the normal fan would never notice? For instance, would the head coach call for one of you to run into his office to grab a piece of paper or something he forgot so he doesn't have to leave the dugout, or something like that?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures and good luck in pursuing your dream.

Working grounds crew, are there any jobs or responsibilities that you do that the normal fan would never notice? For instance, would the head coach call for one of you to run into his office to grab a piece of paper or something he forgot so he doesn't have to leave the dugout, or something like that?
    No, nothing like that ever happened to me...or was ever asked of me I should say.

We got to do a LOT of really cool stuff. During batting practice, before the stands opened for the fans, we were allowed to go in the outfield and catch the fly balls that the players hit. Too bad most of Griffey's were uncatchable, haha.

I've met a LOT of players too. I even have a picture somewhere of me wearing Albert Pujols Helmet, haha. Shhhh, no one really knows about that though.
    Last edited by Grounds_Crew; 01-23-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Fantastic pictures! We may be looking at a new RedsZone record for average rep points per post with this guy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Thanks for the pics. It was a interesting viewpoint.

Killer stuff, GroundsCrew.

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your new gig.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?