Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Saarloos, sign Bellhorn

Re: Reds acquire Saarloos, sign Bellhorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Saarloos is a ground ball pitcher, so I understand the thinking. He'll be the fifth starter coming out of camp, no doubt.

To me, Bellhorn is very interesting. I would expect him to make the team with Castro as extra infielders. That doesn't leave a lot of room for other bench players. Deno, Valentin, Hamilton, Conine? One too many.

Either they don't expect Deno to make it, or they don't expect Hamilton to make it, or they have something else brewing.
    I think they have something else brewing. Could it possibly be Phillips being dealt?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rotoworld.com:

Reds acquired RHP Kirk Saarloos and a player to be named from the Athletics for RHP David Shafer and a player to be named.

Saarloos went 7-7 with a 4.75 ERA and a 52/53 K/BB ratio in 121 1/3 innings while splitting time between the rotation and the pen for the A's last season. He has a much better chance of continuing to survive in the majors as a National Leaguer, and he could be the favorite to begin the season as Cincinnati's fifth starter. Since he's only going to make $1.2 million this year, it's not a bad pickup for the Reds.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

CINCINNATI (AP) —

The Oakland Athletics traded pitcher Kirk Saarloos to the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday for minor league reliever David Shafer.

Each team also received a player to be named.

The 27-year-old Saarloos went 7-7 with two saves and a 4.75 ERA last season for the AL West champions. After being Oakland’s No. 5 starter in 2005, he made 16 starts and 19 relief appearances last year.

Saarloos had a chance to rejoin the rotation full-time this year under new A’s manager Bob Geren. Last week, Saarloos and the Athletics avoided salary arbitration when they agreed on a one-year contract worth $1.2 million.

Shafer, a 24-year-old righty, had 26 saves and a 2.36 ERA for Double-A Chattanooga last year.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Bellhorn is interesting although he was brutal in both New York and San Diego after the Red Sox gave up on him.

Saarloos...hmmm...I don't know if he's even got as much upside as Lohse. I suppose, if nothing else, it means we have an actual major leaguer as the #5 starter instead of Belisle/Ramirez/etc.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...3/c1784694.jsp
    Reds acquire Saarloos, sign Bellhorn
    01/23/2007 3:36 PM ET
    MLB.com

The Reds acquired RHP Kirk Saarloos (pronounced SAHR-lohs) and a player to be named in exchange for RHP David Shafer and a player to be named from the Oakland Athletics today.
    Saarloos, 27, last season for the A's went 7-7, 4.75 with 2 saves in 16 starts and 19 relief appearances. In his 5-year Major League career he is 27-25, 4.79 with 3 complete games, 2 shutouts and 2 saves in 123 appearances, including 69 starts, for the Astros and the A's. Shafer, 24, last season at Class AA Chattanooga posted a 2.36era with 26 saves in 44 relief appearances. In November he was added to the Reds' 40-man roster.

Versatile veteran IF Mark Bellhorn has agreed to terms on a minor league contract with an invitation to Major League Spring Training camp. Bellhorn, 32, spent last season with the National League West Division champion Padres. He has more than 200 career appearances at both 2B and 3B and also has played 1B (41g) and SS (31g). He was a member of the 2004 World Series champion Red Sox, and also has played for the Athletics, Cubs, Rockies, Yankees and Padres.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I think its a very nice pickup. He wont ever be as good as Harang or Arroyo but in the NL he could be a solid #3.
    A #3? On this staff---possibly. Solid? Ummmm,.......no.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if Saarloos was acquired for the bullpen or the rotation.

There goes RZ's 12th rated Red's prospect...
    I see him as a #5 starter. His stuff really doesn't translate that well to the pen.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Interesting signing of Bellhorn, he Ks at a higher rate than Dunn. He is right behind him(less BBs and HRs) as the king of TTO.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Does anyone think its possible that Jared Burton the rule v pick from The A's could be the ptbnl? This way if he doesn't stay on the 25 man roster the Reds keep him on 40 man roster but option him to AAA. If Burton stays on 25 man roster all year then Reds choose someone else from the A's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Does anyone think its possible that Jared Burton the rule v pick from The A's could be the ptbnl? This way if he doesn't stay on the 25 man roster the Reds keep him on 40 man roster but option him to AAA. If Burton stays on 25 man roster all year then Reds choose someone else from the A's?
    I'd say thats a highly possible scenario.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

The Sporting News says, "Saarloos is a control pitcher who gets a tone of grounders with his sinker."

That sounds so much better than them saying he gives up 40 homers a year!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    The Sporting News says, "Saarloos is a control pitcher who gets a tone of grounders with his sinker."
    That's what we've all been clamoring for, isn't it?

My first thought was "well, there's your number 5 starter. You don't trade Shafer for a guy you want to slip through waivers." and then I thought a bit and looked.

From Baseball reference.
    PHP Code:
    I Split          G   GS  GF  W   L   S   CG SHO   IP     ERA   

+-+------------+----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+------+-
       as 
    Starter     69  69   0  24  23   0   3   2  368     5.04  427   

as Reliever    54   0  19   3   2   2   0   0   72     3.50   74 
    I wonder if Wayne just got his closer. As a reliever his K/9 is around 7.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Never heard of the kid but hopefully he'll be some help in the rotation.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    If a player who is selected in the Rule V draft doesn't stick on his new team's 25-man, not only does he have to be offered back to his old team, but if the old team declines to take him back, then the player has to be exposed to waivers before he can be sent down.

Therefore we'd essentially need 30 teams' permission to send him to AAA.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?