Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Questions about playing sports in college

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Burg, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,331

    Questions about playing sports in college

    I just recently did a questionare (sp?) for a college I REALLY would love to go to! Marshall University! I was wondering if anyone has ever been scouted by a college to play a sport? If so ANY help will be awesome! By the way, I wanna play football at the next level, if that helps any!
    Let's make some noise!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Great school. Went there.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  4. #3
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,310

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I just recently did a questionare (sp?) for a college I REALLY would love to go to! Marshall University! I was wondering if anyone has ever been scouted by a college to play a sport? If so ANY help will be awesome! By the way, I wanna play football at the next level, if that helps any!
    Are you being scouted by Marshall or do you want Marshall to scout you? The best way to get scouted by a school is to get your coach involved. And make something of a highlight reel tape to send to them, but mostly you need to talk to your high school coach.

  5. #4
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,394

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Ditto on the coach involvement. It can make a world of difference. I ended up NOT playing soccer in college, but several friends of mine did. We were all at about the same level. It's not like they were better than me, and in some cases a couple of them were guys I beat on a regular basis in high school games. At that time, I was one of the only players in Cincinnati who could bend a ball with both feet. Not bragging, but I had some chops.

    The difference was the coaches. Mine was a great game coach but he was completely still born, socially. He didn't network for any of us...and we were some of the best players in Ohio. Only one ended up playing in college and he walked on at UNC. Unfortunately, most of the guys were like me- our parents hadn't gone to college and had no experience with it; we just weren't prepared to expect that college was an option or that we could get a scholarship.

    The other kids, whom I knew from summer and indoor ball had coaches who wrote letters to colleges, made phone calls and badgered ncaa coaches to take a look at their kids. These guys played for Walnut Hills, Forest Park, Greenhills, Turpin; all of which had strong programs. Several of them ended up getting invitations from those coaches.

    Back then there was little money for soccer players. If you got a scholarship to a Div I school it was one of two ways, either you were so good that you got noticed, or your coach made the initial contacts for you.

    Good luck getting a scholarship! Don't be afraid to work your coach. Many of them now know that there's value in moving their graduates to college.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Burg, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    Are you being scouted by Marshall or do you want Marshall to scout you?
    I have gotten a letter from Marshall about football, nothing really significant, but enough to where I think I might have a chance.
    Let's make some noise!

  7. #6
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    My best friend is currently at Marshall. He was recruited and red-shirted this year, but next time I see him I'll try to remember to ask him what the process was like.

  8. #7
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Ditto on the coach involvement. It can make a world of difference. I ended up NOT playing soccer in college, but several friends of mine did. We were all at about the same level. It's not like they were better than me, and in some cases a couple of them were guys I beat on a regular basis in high school games. At that time, I was one of the only players in Cincinnati who could bend a ball with both feet. Not bragging, but I had some chops.

    The difference was the coaches. Mine was a great game coach but he was completely still born, socially. He didn't network for any of us...and we were some of the best players in Ohio. Only one ended up playing in college and he walked on at UNC. Unfortunately, most of the guys were like me- our parents hadn't gone to college and had no experience with it; we just weren't prepared to expect that college was an option or that we could get a scholarship.

    The other kids, whom I knew from summer and indoor ball had coaches who wrote letters to colleges, made phone calls and badgered ncaa coaches to take a look at their kids. These guys played for Walnut Hills, Forest Park, Greenhills, Turpin; all of which had strong programs. Several of them ended up getting invitations from those coaches.

    Back then there was little money for soccer players. If you got a scholarship to a Div I school it was one of two ways, either you were so good that you got noticed, or your coach made the initial contacts for you.

    Good luck getting a scholarship! Don't be afraid to work your coach. Many of them now know that there's value in moving their graduates to college.
    This is entirely true, and huge for an athlete if his coach gets involved in the process. It can be the difference between a kid playing somewhere or not getting a chance.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  9. #8
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I have gotten a letter from Marshall about football, nothing really significant, but enough to where I think I might have a chance.
    Was the letter from Mark Snyder or one of his assistants? What position do you play? Helps to know a school's depth at your position(s).

    Check out this site. I forgot how to post a link so you'll have to type it in: http://www.herdnation.com/forum/ Actually, it's working.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 01-23-2007 at 09:15 PM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Burg, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Was the letter from Mark Snyder or one of his assistants? What position do you play? Helps to know a school's depth at your position(s).

    Check out this site. I forgot how to post a link so you'll have to type it in: http://www.herdnation.com/forum/ Actually, it's working.
    It doesn't have a name on it...It just says "Marshall University Athletics". And I have already visited that site! lol. I love Marshall! I play Offensive Line, and im about 6'4" 295, I was the only Junior on this years varsity line, everyone else was a senior and I also started over a senior.
    Let's make some noise!

  11. #10
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,394

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    6'4" 295

    Man, you could finish me in two bites.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  12. #11
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    I played NAIA tennis for Montreat College in Black Mountian N.C. I wanted to go there and on my visit I met the coach. I told him I wanted to play. He ask me if I brought my racket, I said, "ah...ya." He said, "let's play." He signed me 15 minutes later.

    After a successful year I transferred to UK. I thought I could walk-on there. Wow was I wrong. They have one of the top programs in the SEC.

    I then became the equipment manager for the UK bat cats....and as they say, the rest is history.....

    Drive to Hunington and meet the coaching staff. They are not "gods." I would be impressed if a kid drove to were I coached and said, " I want to play for you and I have no doubt I CAN play for you."
    Last edited by George Foster; 01-23-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  13. #12
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    It doesn't have a name on it...It just says "Marshall University Athletics". And I have already visited that site! lol. I love Marshall! I play Offensive Line, and im about 6'4" 295, I was the only Junior on this years varsity line, everyone else was a senior and I also started over a senior.
    They can use offensive linemen. Good luck! Do you have a good 40 time?
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  14. #13
    hollywood mid westerner
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    185

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    marshall is a terrible school. i was born and raised in huntington so I would know. I went to Miami University by the way. Marshall is low rent education. strive for more my friend. my buddy played football and track there and he graduated with the skills that got him a wonderful job as a used car salesman.

    I know personally so many shady athletic department dealings that go on at marshall. prop 48 kids that make more money than your parents.

    ohio state, miami university, i mean hell even toledo or akron are better schools than marshall.

    i know i'll get a negative rep points but im giving you the opinion of someone who grew up there and know athletes/athletic department personnel very very well. Lee Moon the A.D. was a close family friend and as a friend, we STILL all knew how shady that "school" (schools are suppose to give you an education) really is.

  15. #14
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    You know, that may be the most uneducated thing that I have read in a long time. I went to Marshall. My wife went to Marshall. Many successful people in both our families attended the school, as well as countless numbers of folks all over the country.

    If your buddy graduated with the skills that got him a wonderful job as a used car salesman, it probably says more about your friend than it does about Marshall University. You have to go to class, do the work, and most of all, want to be there. You have to want an education. Just because you show up doesn't mean you are going to be educated. I grew up in the Huntington area and know many people involved in the athletic department, as well as many involved in the academic departments. My opinion is diametrically opposed to yours.

    There is no doubt that shady dealings go on at most every major University that fields athletic teams. You sound like you have an axe to grind and no one is going to be able to change that.

    Just a terrible post.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 01-24-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  16. #15
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Questions about playing sports in college

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    You know, that may be the most uneducated thing that I have read in a long time. I went to Marshall. My wife went to Marshall. Many successful people in both our families attended the school, as well as countless numbers of folks all over the country.


    Just a terrible post.


    No kidding. I've got many friends and several family members who went to Marshall. They all loved it, and all are thriving and prospering in their chosen fields.

    Frankly, if that post of yours is any indication of your own education level, you might want to take a few more courses in English.

    That way when you say something truly offensive and ignorant, you'll at least use proper grammer and punctuation.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25