Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade for A's pitcher Saarloos

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Reds trade for A's pitcher Saarloos

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    True. That's a total 180 from the previous regimes. The past groups were very reluctant to let a player stay at a level and dominate it to build up their trade value. It seemed as though as soon as a player showed even an inkling of succeeding in one league, he was pushed to another to see if he could handle that. Not a very good idea if you're trying to establish some value in those players along the way.
    Or if you're trying to turn them into good players. Now, I'm generally OK with "challenge thy hitters," but the Peter Principle is a terrible way to develop pitchers.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Great trade. Hat's off to Krivsky.

I'm wondering if this guy needed a change in scenery. Also, if he's anything decent, toss him in the 4/5 slot, give'em the ball every 5th day and tell him to have at it. It happened in a way to Bronson Arroyo and to Aaron Harang. You never know what a little confidence can do.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Darn, I wish Belhorn would have signed at this time last year. His Dad was a clinician at my vet school.

Saarloos for Schaffer is an uninspiring move to me. Nothing really wrong with Saarloos, but I don't see any reason for him to be a lot better than any of the Reds other candidates for the 5th spot. I would rather that Schaffer had been bumped up to Louisville last year and given a shot in the majors this season. The 2007 version of the Reds is unlikely to be any better than last years team. Better to take the opportunity to sift through the number of young relievers in the Reds system than to spend multi-millions on the vets they will be employing.

Does anyone think its possible that Jared Burton the rule v pick from The A's could be the ptbnl? This way if he doesn't stay on the 25 man roster the Reds keep him on 40 man roster but option him to AAA. If Burton stays on 25 man roster all year then Reds choose someone else from the A's?

Is he better than Belisle? Ramirez? Shack? Loshe? even Milton? I want trades that make a difference not ones that just make it eenie, meenie, miney, moe in Spring Training.

WayneK just added a lot of fluff without adding quality in my opinion. (I know....I know... this guy is seen as bullpen help - another place that WayneK adds fluff)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Maybe my sights are too low; but I think a guy like Saarloos could help, which is probably more than you can say for Cormier or Weathers (or Milton) this season. He was picked up for nothing.

Obviously, he's not a difference maker, but he may not hurt things, so that's something.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Does anyone think its possible that Jared Burton the rule v pick from The A's could be the ptbnl? This way if he doesn't stay on the 25 man roster the Reds keep him on 40 man roster but option him to AAA. If Burton stays on 25 man roster all year then Reds choose someone else from the A's?
    That is one possibility. I'm curious to find out who the PTBNL's are on both sides. For that matter, could Josh Hamilton be the PTBNL on our side. I kind of doubt it, but you never know.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Roto World's take:

Reds acquired RHP Kirk Saarloos and a player to be named from the Athletics for RHP David Shafer and a player to be named.

Saarloos went 7-7 with a 4.75 ERA and a 52/53 K/BB ratio in 121 1/3 innings while splitting time between the rotation and the pen for the A's last season. He has a much better chance of continuing to survive in the majors as a National Leaguer, and he could be the favorite to begin the season as Cincinnati's fifth starter. Since he's only going to make $1.2 million this year, it's not a bad pickup for the Reds.

Reds signed infielder Mark Bellhorn to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Bellhorn would enjoy Great American Ballpark more than he did Petco, but he'll have an uphill battle to make the Reds after hitting just .190/.285/.344 in 253 at-bats for the Padres last season. He'll battle Jeff Keppinger for a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    Roto World's take:

Reds acquired RHP Kirk Saarloos and a player to be named from the Athletics for RHP David Shafer and a player to be named.

Saarloos went 7-7 with a 4.75 ERA and a 52/53 K/BB ratio in 121 1/3 innings while splitting time between the rotation and the pen for the A's last season. He has a much better chance of continuing to survive in the majors as a National Leaguer, and he could be the favorite to begin the season as Cincinnati's fifth starter. Since he's only going to make $1.2 million this year, it's not a bad pickup for the Reds.

Reds signed infielder Mark Bellhorn to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Bellhorn would enjoy Great American Ballpark more than he did Petco, but he'll have an uphill battle to make the Reds after hitting just .190/.285/.344 in 253 at-bats for the Padres last season. He'll battle Jeff Keppinger for a roster spot.
    Rotoworld didn't rip on eof our moves. I am shocked. Don't forget what a change of league will do for him either.

Bellhorn is an interesting signing. He has a great eye, but plays bad defense. Very anti-Wayne. I don't think he can hit enough to be worthy of a spot move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I checked his game log on MLB.com and saw he whiffed 11 in a five-inning outing against Cleveland in September. WTH happened?
    Here's the game wrap-up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260919111

Saarloos struck out 11 in 5 innings. His quote is pretty funny. Reminds me of DanO.

"I've got it in me," the typical groundball pitcher said of striking out batters. "But it's not economical."

Saarloos threw 113 pitches.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Saarloos sounds like we've signed a scary Star Wars creature or some sort of Harryhausen monster.

"RELEASE THE SAARLOOS!"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Besides the fact he allowed a homerun to Juan Castro, I like the move.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I checked his game log on MLB.com and saw he whiffed 11 in a five-inning outing against Cleveland in September. WTH happened?
    Dunno. Choo and Blake couldn't hit the slider?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Is he better than Belisle? Ramirez? Shack? Loshe? even Milton? I want trades that make a difference not ones that just make it eenie, meenie, miney, moe in Spring Training.

WayneK just added a lot of fluff without adding quality in my opinion. (I know this guy is seen as bullpen help - another place that WayneK adds fluff)
    IMO he is better at this point than Belisle and Ramirez, each of whom has had spotty numbers and injury problems. Shack is a lefty reliever, a whole different pitcher, not comparable. Saarloos is on a par with Lohse, who has better stuff but seems less consistent. Saarloos has been better than Milton in recent years, not as good as the earlier Milton.

Before this trade the Reds had no fifth starter, only hopes and prayers. This guy is somewhat better, so for not very much there is an upgrade.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

Where does that leave EZ?
    Hopefully the PTBNL going to Oakland in this deal.

Elizardo Ramirez, start looking for real estate in the Bay Area.

Turn Off Ads?