Turn Off Ads?

Thread: VERY interesting tidbit on Hamilton and some on Loshe and Homer

VERY interesting tidbit on Hamilton and some on Loshe and Homer

Went to the stag at La Salle tonight, but didn't stick around for everything. I just talked to some folks before it started and got out before the main program began (and even passed up the meal)

Anyway, the biggest topic of conversation, of course, was Homer Bailey.

Bailey will be in major league camp, but nobody is committing to much quite yet. I asked Jerry Narron how he'd treat Bailey in camp -- as a starter or a reliever or what. "We'’ll treat him like a guy who pitched in AA last year."

Wayne Krivsky was asked if he's ruled out Bailey starting the season with the Reds. He said he hasn't.

"I'm not going to say no to anything, it's just let's not get too excited," Krivsky said. "Let's let it play out. He hasn't pitched AAA yet, he only has half a year at AA. I'm not smart enough to tell you right now what our team's going to be when we leave spring training. I'm sure heÂ’s going to go down there and compete and we'll see how it shakes out. We need spring training to evaluate everybody."

As for Homer, he said he wants to make the decision as difficult as possible for Krivsky and Narron.

Another interesting tidbit is that Narron said he and Josh Hamilton have been meeting halfway between their hometowns in North Carolina, in a town called Smithfield, to work out several times a week.

"It's been a lot of fun watching him," Narron said. "He's a tremendous athlete. He's got great bat speed. The one thing that's really hurt him is he hasn't played the last couple of years. It's going to be a huge adjustment for him and hopefully he makes our ballclub."

Narron said his plan is to play Hamilton nearly every day and get him about 80-100 at-bats in the spring, no matter how he does. He'll also play him in all three outfield positions.

"There are very few players in the major leagues with the kind of talent he has," Narron said. "But when you haven't played above (Class) A ball, it's a huge challenge for him."

Narron also said new Reds pitching coach Dick Pole is really excited about working with Kyle Lohse and expects big things out of him this season.

posted by ctrosecrans at 9:28 PM 1 comments links to this post
    -Trent

I think that's a very good idea by Narron. Get him out there all the time in spring training and get him as much time as possible. It may seem obvious to some, but I hadn't thought of it. Props to Jerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: VERY interesting tidbit on Hamilton and some on Loshe and Homer

i give props to jerry 2 kid has talent just needs to get back in the swing of things

I think Poles biggest test will be Loshe, Milton and Saarlos. If he can get each one to listen and perform as well as we all hope he can..Maybe this rotation won't be half as bad.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

We just need some of that Dick Pole magic.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Good move by Narron. I like the enthusiasm for a youngster with a high ceiling. I hope he rakes.

What...? Did I just say good move by Narron? Write it down, 1:45 am 1/25.

i'm not a fan of Narron, but i think he's handling Hamilton brilliantly. i'm not sure any other current manager would be handling him so well.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i'm not a fan of Narron, but i think he's handling Hamilton brilliantly. i'm not sure any other current manager would be handling him so well.

Yeah, I think so too. The combination of his brother knowing the kid since he was 8 and his proximity to Narron's home is really improving the odds for this longshot.

A lot of folks believe that an average player needs about 1,500 at bats in the minor leagues to be prepared for the show. This kid has a lot of catching up to do, and if he wasn't so incredibly talented, he'd have almost no chance of sticking with the club.

Very compelling story.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Good Luck to Josh Hamilton. I wish him well in baseball and in life.

I kinda wish Jerry would afford Chris Denorfia the same opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Who's Chris Denorfia?

IMO - Hamilton and Denorfia get the most AB's this spring - giving Griffey time to heal and Dunn a chance not to strike out a lot
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

While taking nothing away from Narron's efforts and the Hamilton story, I feel the exact same way, Ron.

Deno's problem is that he's not Krivsky or Narron's guy; he was selected and raised in the system by another regime.

Best of luck to Josh Hamilton, however; no matter if he pans out for the Reds or not, I hope he continues to keep his life on the straight and narrow.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    While taking nothing away from Narron's efforts and the Hamilton story, I feel the exact same way, Ron.

Deno's problem is that he's not Krivsky or Narron's guy; he was selected and raised in the system by another regime.

Best of luck to Josh Hamilton, however; no matter if he pans out for the Reds or not, I hope he continues to keep his life on the straight and narrow.

I have nothing against Deno, but Hamilton's upside is a lot higher.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I think Poles biggest test will be Loshe, Milton and Saarlos. If he can get each one to listen and perform as well as we all hope he can..Maybe this rotation won't be half as bad.
    I think if Pole can get one of them to perform above expectations he'll be doing a stellar job, much less all three.

Of course expectations are low.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    ....but Hamilton's upside is a lot higher.
    I'm not convinced of that. Hamilton had a lot of talent, that's for sure. He was blessed with more natural ability than Denorfia. But Denorfia has more of everything else than Hamilton does. Denorfia chose to keep his nose to the gindstone and show up for work each and every day. In itself, that's not enough to merit a job, of course. But it's more than enough, in my book, to merit a shot at the job, especially since Deno has proven at the highest minor league levels that he can do it. Denorfia has earned that shot at the job, I think. Josh has not yet earned that chance, yet. Hopefully he will, in short enough time.

Again, I'm taking nothing away from Hamilton; we all fall short of perfection, and if it were me, I'd feel fortunate to have the second chance that Hamilton is getting (and by all accounts, Josh does feel very fortunate). I hope he makes the most of it and plays for the Reds for the next 10 years. But in my book, Deno is in line in front of Josh, at least for right now.

Hamilton needs more personal attention and TLC than Deno. Now if the season rolls around and Hamilton is playing ahead of Deno, we have a problem.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?