Article about Saarloos

http://www.examiner.com/articlePDF.cfm?articleID=527826

Saarloos a quiet role model
    Mychael Urban

Mychael Urban

Mychael Urban, The Examiner
    Jan 25, 2007 3:00 AM (6 hrs ago)
    Current rank: # 22 of 15,836 articles
    SAN FRANCISCO - Kirk Saarloos’ departure from the Bay Area sports scene was much like his existence here: Few noticed and fewer really cared.

In fact, a lot of you are probably asking, “Who the heck is Kirk Saarloos? Did he turn down the Raiders’ job, too?”

Saarloos, for those of you who don’t know, is the 27-year-old pitcher traded by the A’s on Tuesday to the Cincinnati Reds. And if you didn’t know who he is before now, that’s a shame — especially if you have a youngster who looks up to big-league ballplayers. Because Saarloos is exactly the kind of player you want as that youngster’s role model.

Granted, kids typically gravitate to players who put up big numbers and appear nightly on highlight shows, and Saarloos — rhymes with Carlos — does neither. So anonymous is he that even if you wanted to pick up a No. 31 jersey at McAfee Coliseum last year, you’d have been out of luck.

But the fact that he’s so anonymous is a sad commentary. This is a young man who embodies everything right and good about sports, yet he’s continually overshadowed by the criminals, cheats and look-at-me athletes who pollute our daily sports sections.

Saarloos was an accomplished collegian, a first-team All-American. But he’s barely 6 feet tall, well under 200 pounds, right-handed and rarely tops 90 on the radar gun, so after being drafted by the Houston Astros, he essentially dropped off the baseball map.

Even when Saarloos made big-league history in 2003, it was in a manner that only the most devoted seamhead would remember. He was one of six Astros pitchers who combined on a no-hitter at Yankee Stadium, chipping in with 1¹/³ innings of work.

If you knew that, you’re probably Howie Schwab from ESPN’s regrettable “Stump the Schwab.”

And you probably know that the Astros traded Saarloos to the A’s in 2004. But you might not know why Saarloos deserves universal respect.

We want our role-model athletes to overcome adversity, right? With his mother battling breast cancer during spring training 2005, Saarloos took his heavy heart to the mound — hiding a cancer-awareness bracelet in his back pocket — and won a spot in Oakland’s starting rotation.

We want our role-model athletes to carry themselves with class, too, right? Saarloos bounced between the bullpen and rotation so often in 2006 that he had never had the luxury of routine. Not only did he not complain, he picked up a save and a win (as a starter) in one memorable six-day span.

And we want our role-model athletes to be humble. Asked if he was going to contribute to Barry Zito’s Strikeouts for Troops program by donating $100 for every strikeout he records, the soft-tossing Saarloos said, “I think it’d be better for the soldiers if I gave them $100 for every batter I hit.”

So what if he doesn’t light up “SportsCenter”? He does his job well, stays out of trouble and keeps everything in perspective. So find out what number Saarloos is wearing with the Reds, order a custom jersey and give it to your kid.

While you’re at it, burn that No. 18 Raiders jersey of his.

Mychael Urban is the author of “Aces: The Last Season On The Mound With The Oakland A’s Big Three — Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito” and a writer for MLB.com.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Article about Saarloos

I also saw this...

Baseball: Chunichi acquire former Reds pitcher Valentine
    (Kyodo) _ The Chunichi Dragons have acquired former Cincinnati Reds right-hander Joe Valentine, the Central League club said Thursday.

Valentine picked up a signing fee of 6 million yen on a one-year deal worth 30 million yen. He will wear the No. 4 jersey.

The 29-year-old Valentine played in the major leagues with the Reds for three seasons from 2003 and has a 2-4 record with four saves and a 6.70 ERA in 42 mound appearances.
    Anybody know what 6 million yen or 30 million yen equals in US dollars?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I'm toolsy.

1 dollar = 121 Yen so . . . .

6 million Yen = roughly $50,000 signing bonus

30 million Yen = roughly a quarter of a million per year.

It's good to hear Saarloos is a nice guy and a true professional. I just wish he was a better pitcher. Maybe he'll find some magic in Cincinnati.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

It's good to hear Saarloos is a nice guy and a true professional. I just wish he was a better pitcher.
    Agreed on point one. On the second point, I'll take him any day for a prospect who seems redundant with 2 or 3 other mid- to low-ceiling prospects of about the same age in the system (Shafer = Salmon = Medlock = Guevara). Sure, we'd all love a rotation of 5 above-average guys, but the only ways you get that are to spend huge dollars (Castellini's domain) or empty the farm system (stupid).

Nice article.

He should end up being better than half of the current pitching staff. Any upgrade is a good upgrade.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I have talked to 2 of my A's friends, and they both feel its a good pick up for us, said he may not blow us away, and he will occasionally make a boneheaded pitch to pi$$ off every Reds fan, but if he makes the rotation and gets the consistency back of not bouncing back and forth, said he will be a very nice and needed addition to our staff. I welcome him, and wish him the best!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed on point one. On the second point, I'll take him any day for a prospect who seems redundant with 2 or 3 other mid- to low-ceiling prospects of about the same age in the system (Shafer = Salmon = Medlock = Guevara). Sure, we'd all love a rotation of 5 above-average guys, but the only ways you get that are to spend huge dollars (Castellini's domain) or empty the farm system (stupid).
    I'm not saying I'm angry with the trade. It was a low-risk maneuver that didn't hurt the Reds system. Unfortunately, it's probably a low-reward maneuver, too.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unfortunately, it's probably a low-reward maneuver, too.
    As others have noted, any reward is better than no reward.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    As others have noted, any reward is better than no reward.
    It seems like that's the tune the Reds have been playing for the past decade or so.

To me Saarloos is just a case of adding a Keppinger to replace a Harris who in essence replaced Olmedo when in fact all three guys are the same guy.

More of the same. Actually less of the same as he isn't even as good as EZ, Belisle or Santos. Don't get me wrong... I want him to be Cy Young for the Reds, I really do. But the truth is in the numbers, and as a major leaguer his numbers kinda suck.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Can he be stopped?

Can we trade him to the Bengals? Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    To me Saarloos is just a case of adding a Keppinger to replace a Harris who in essence replaced Olmedo when in fact all three guys are the same guy.

More of the same. Actually less of the same as he isn't even as good as EZ, Belisle or Santos. Don't get me wrong... I want him to be Cy Young for the Reds, I really do. But the truth is in the numbers, and as a major leaguer his numbers kinda suck.
    If Saarloos numbers "suck" I don't even want to know what you would call EZ's?

He's got worse periphreals, nothing stuff, and a questionable drive. Not even mentioning his terrible numbers at this level.
    I think I'll stick with Saarloos.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I think this is anything but "more of the same". I think the Reds believe they've identified a pitcher who could be had for a minor leaguer and has an upside. In all the history of baseball, has there never been any pitcher who three or four years into their career put it together and performed above their previous numbers? To hear it here on Redszone, you would think that's never occurred and especially not for any Cincinnati Red.

part of BBN

I agree with you totally.
    Yes....i said i would like to see Westbrook or Leiber but the fact is .....Saarloos is probably about the same and at lesser price.
    Do you want us to trade Dunn for "Chick like prospects" or freel/deno for a ML ready starter with a 4.50 era ?
    The way I see it, we got a decent pitcher and kept Dunn etc in process.
    Still need improving ?? Yes.
    Am i giving KS a chance ? Yep on that one too !

Turn Off Ads?