Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporting News ranks NL catchers!

Sporting News ranks NL catchers!

Not a very good review of our catchers, once again are we this bad?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

9. Reds

David Ross, Javier Valentin

Ross surprised the team by hitting a career-high 21 homers last season. Valentin will be a key pinch hitter. The club likes how No. 3 catcher Chad Moeller handles pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sporting News ranks NL catchers!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Actually 9 out of 16 makes me ask, are we this good?
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

I noticed the Astros at #2. Munson hit below the Mendoza line this past season and Ausmus just got mentioned on si.com as the weak link of the Astros. It must have been the .593 OPS. The Sporting News knows better than to put crap like this out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I noticed the Astros at #2. Munson hit below the Mendoza line this past season and Ausmus just got mentioned on si.com as the weak link of the Astros. It must have been the .593 OPS. The Sporting News knows better than to put crap like this out there.
    Isn't Ausmus a fairly solid defender? Not to say he is worthy of such a lofty ranking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Yeah, where do they get Astros being #2 from?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Isn't Ausmus a fairly solid defender? Not to say he is worthy of such a lofty ranking though.
    With the way Ausmus hits, he would have to be better than Bench behind the plate to justify that #2 ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

9. Reds

David Ross, Javier Valentin

Ross surprised the team by hitting a career-high 21 homers last season. Valentin will be a key pinch hitter. The club likes how No. 3 catcher Chad Moeller handles pitchers.
    Interesting comment about Moeller. Have we heard that before in talking about the Reds signing him? I still think they'll do something with a catcher before the season starts. Did we give Valentin a two-year deal? They may try to move him.

Can he be stopped?

Clearly the Braves have the #1 Catching group because of the ever-feared Corky Miller

1. Braves

Brian McCann, Brayan Pena

McCann became one of the game's elite hitting catchers in his first full season; now he'll try to improve at throwing out runners. The pitchers are confident he'll call a good game. Pena will battle Iker Franco and Corky Miller.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Interesting comment about Moeller. Have we heard that before in talking about the Reds signing him? I still think they'll do something with a catcher before the season starts. Did we give Valentin a two-year deal? They may try to move him.
    Redsmetz, I seem to remember a few comments by Wayne and in different stories about the Moeller pickup where his "handling of the pitching staff" was mentioned.

Also, his CERA is 4.03 lifetime. By way of comparison Ross's is 4.26 and Valentines is 5.09. (LaRue's is 4.83 FWIW). Javy's is probably blown up by having to catch EZ last year. Ross's is probably brought down by catching Arroyo so much last year. Moeller's is brought way down by a 2.66 CERA in 2002 with Arizona. For further comparison, Mike Piazza's life time is 3.79.

I'm not sure if CERA is a good measurement for "calling a good game" and that whole concept probably would spark a nice debate. But going stictly by the numbers, and assuming he has any input at all in what a pitchers ERA is going to be, Moeller's is the lowest.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Can he be stopped?

Ltlabner: Ross was also Milton's personal catcher early in the season, FWIW (yeah, that could certianly inflate one's CERA....)
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

"He is capable of doing more with the bat than he did this past year," Krivsky said. "His reputation is handling pitching staffs. The value of Chad Moeller may not read out on the stat sheets, but we feel he has value."
    Redsmetz....here's a mention of Moellers mystical pitching staff handling prowess from one of the first stories about the acquisition.

Source

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Redsmetz....here's a mention of Moellers mystical pitching staff handling prowess from one of the first stories about the acquisition.

Source
    Ah, there you go. Nice find.

And you get the cigar for being the first RZer to refer to Valentin as Valentine since Joe Valentine went to Japan! :

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Ah, there you go. Nice find.

And you get the cigar for being the first RZer to refer to Valentin as Valentine since Joe Valentine went to Japan! :
    Hey! Smoking is strictly prohibited in Ohio. Even typing the word "cigar" puts you at risk for offending someone.

Ummmm...now I'm in the mood for a nice, smooth cigar.

Is it just me or is the National League incredibly weak at catcher?? McCann is a very nice player and Ausmus and Molina are excellent defensive catchers, but geez I look at the list and it looks very much lacking with quality players.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Ross was a big surprise last year. Sure hope he continues that this season.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Turn Off Ads?