Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: directv dvr vs tivo

  1. #1
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    directv dvr vs tivo

    Until recently, I had a Directv recorder with Tivo. Unfortunately, it broke down, so I got a replacement from Directv. They sent me a DVR that does not have Tivo, but rather it's their pathetic attempt at a Tivo wannabe. Does anyone else have this Directv DVR without Tivo? Do you find it as difficult to manipulate as I do, or is it simply that I'm not use to it yet?

    I'm not very technically inclined, so if I were to go and get a real Tivo, would this cause any problems with my DVR? I guess I would then have an additional monthly charge for the Tivo, right? Yikes. For those that have Directv, how are you hooked up to record?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,719

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I have 2 DirecTV tivos and it'll be a cold day in hell before I get DirecTVs version The D forums are loaded with people having trouble with the machine.

    A regular Tivo won't work with D sadly, you'll just be able to use it like a VCR.
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I don't have a DVR. I considered it about a year ago, but that was just about the time Directv cleared out all their remaining Tivo units and starting intalling only their own (new) stuff. From what I could gather by reading online, they developed their own in-house unit so that they wouldn't have to share any more profits with Tivo. Anyway, you're not the first Tivo user to be disappointed in these things. I've read forum after forum with people complaining about the reliability and also the interface, and it's still going on today. It seems that former Tivo users are most unhappy -- those getting a DVR for the first time seem more pleased, since they don't have Tivo experience to compare to.

    Rather than take the plunge last January, I decided to wait a few months to see if Directv could get the bugs worked out of these things. There have been some software upgrades, but I don't know if they've gotten the kinks worked out yet or not. I'm pretty sure the interface is the same, though, and Tivo users will be disappointed.

    Now that I've had time to think about it, we really don't record much TV anyway. So I bought a DVD recorder, instead. It's a great unit that cost only about $80 at CC, and I bought some DVD-RW discs. They hold from one to six hours of programming, depending on the quality setting that is selected, and when it gets full, you can erase it with an option within the unit, or you can record over only selected titles. Granted, it's a far cry from a DVR with hard drive and the ability to pause live TV, but it's also a far cry ahead of the VCR it replaced. Plus, there's no monthly fee.

    Red, I'm guessing that Directv made you agree to two more years of service in exchange for the DVR lease, so your only option may be to learn to like the Directv unit. As for adding Tivo, yes, I'm pretty sure you'd have the charge for that on top of what you're paying Directv. I don't think it would cause any technical problems, though. You could run the Tivo receiver in the living room and take the Directv unit to the spare room, if you have one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, here.

    EDIT: I was typing as Krono was posting, so I stand corrected with the Tivo thing. Krono, I thought Directv would still activate Tivo receivers. Will they not?

  5. #4
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,719

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    EDIT: I was typing as Krono was posting, so I stand corrected with the Tivo thing. Krono, I thought Directv would still activate Tivo receivers. Will they not?
    They will, after trying to "upgrade" you to their fancy new machine but yeah they will activate it and still only charge you the 5.99 DVR fee.

    What I meant was a Regular TivO will not work with DirecTV, I may have misread RedInChicago's post, I thought he meant a Tivo without DirecTV.
    Go Gators!

  6. #5
    The Latin Heartthrob Javy Pornstache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    631

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Great, I just ordered DirecTV's DVR service last week. If only this thread was started then It's all good, I'll see how it turns out for me.

  7. #6
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,887

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I heard that the Direct TV Dvr's block your ability to record certain programming. Any truth to this? If so... I encourage everyone to avoid just on consumer principles.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  8. #7
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I heard that the Direct TV Dvr's block your ability to record certain programming. Any truth to this? If so... I encourage everyone to avoid just on consumer principles.
    I've generally enjoyed my DirectTV experience, but if that's true and I ever have to switch from my Tivo receiver, that may be the move that makes me seek alternatives to DirectTV. I just can't stand the entertainment industry's need to gain absolute control over copyright and destroy fair use.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centerville,IN
    Posts
    101

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I have Dish Network and we have a DVR box. Haven't had any problems with it since we got in over the summer.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

  10. #9
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,719

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I heard that the Direct TV Dvr's block your ability to record certain programming. Any truth to this? If so... I encourage everyone to avoid just on consumer principles.
    Hadn't heard that, have heard that certain HBO programming has a flag that will make it delete after such and such days.

    Never had it happen to me though.
    Go Gators!

  11. #10
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,181

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I got the new HD DVR and it takes some getting used to especially after using the TiVO version for so long. DirecTV's DVR is not as user friendly as TiVO. However once you get the hang of it recording shows or setting up "season passes" are quite easy. Heck my wife figured it out by herself and she would confess to not being tech savvy.

  12. #11
    Zoinks!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edgewood, KY
    Posts
    575

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I also have Dish Network's DVR and have no problem at all with it. I like it.

  13. #12
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Has anyone had trouble with the Direc Tv installers like I have??? I ordered the DVR for my wife for Christmas. I had a date scheduled for the installer "Bluegrass Satellite" to come out and install the new receivers. The day came, I stayed home from work and they never showed up. I called Direc TV and they admited they made a mistake with scheduling,apologized and gave me a $100 credit on my next bill.

    This wouldnt be such a big deal but I had the same installers several years ago when they first installed the system . Not only did I get stood up THREE times for my installation but when the guys finally did show up they were an hour late and I have no doubt they were high as kites. We immediately got into an argument once they were there because they were insistent on putting the dish at the very front of the house as opposed to the back. I told them I would prefer to put the dish in a location not so obvious but they responded that the front of the house was the only place they could find a ground. I informed them I was a Electrical Contractor and there were several locations to ground to in the back of my house, once they figured out I wasnt a clueless home owner they quickly changed their story and moved the dish to the back of the house. But it gets better. They then took the satellite cable and instead of stapling it to the house they ran the wire in the gutter. I told them I knew the wire is not rated to be run in a gutter where water is. The installer told me that it would take more work to staple it under the underhang and he didnt have time to run it any other way than in the gutter. After yet another argument he moved the wire and ran it in such a way that any professional would be embarrased. Once they were done and I went to each room to make sure the receivers worked. The receivers worked but these clowns left all their trash, boxes, wire etc laying all over the rooms in front of the TV's. I also would like to mention that there were two workers but only one actually worked. The other one spent the vast majority of his time playing with my dog in my back yard. I am not kidding, I truly thought this was a prank and I was going to be on Candid Camera.

    So to sum all this up I wont be getting DVR or anything else from DirecTV anytime soon if I hafta have these clowns back to install it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  14. #13
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,105

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Has anyone had trouble with the Direc Tv installers like I have??? I ordered the DVR for my wife for Christmas. I had a date scheduled for the installer "Bluegrass Satellite" to come out and install the new receivers. The day came, I stayed home from work and they never showed up. I called Direc TV and they admited they made a mistake with scheduling,apologized and gave me a $100 credit on my next bill.

    This wouldnt be such a big deal but I had the same installers several years ago when they first installed the system . Not only did I get stood up THREE times for my installation but when the guys finally did show up they were an hour late and I have no doubt they were high as kites. We immediately got into an argument once they were there because they were insistent on putting the dish at the very front of the house as opposed to the back. I told them I would prefer to put the dish in a location not so obvious but they responded that the front of the house was the only place they could find a ground. I informed them I was a Electrical Contractor and there were several locations to ground to in the back of my house, once they figured out I wasnt a clueless home owner they quickly changed their story and moved the dish to the back of the house. But it gets better. They then took the satellite cable and instead of stapling it to the house they ran the wire in the gutter. I told them I knew the wire is not rated to be run in a gutter where water is. The installer told me that it would take more work to staple it under the underhang and he didnt have time to run it any other way than in the gutter. After yet another argument he moved the wire and ran it in such a way that any professional would be embarrased. Once they were done and I went to each room to make sure the receivers worked. The receivers worked but these clowns left all their trash, boxes, wire etc laying all over the rooms in front of the TV's. I also would like to mention that there were two workers but only one actually worked. The other one spent the vast majority of his time playing with my dog in my back yard. I am not kidding, I truly thought this was a prank and I was going to be on Candid Camera.

    So to sum all this up I wont be getting DVR or anything else from DirecTV anytime soon if I hafta have these clowns back to install it.
    I had a similar experience years ago. Almost word for word and yes it was Bluegrass Satellite. Here's the best part. These Sat installers CUT the Cable Companies wire. Damaging the line severely. They do this intentionally to P.O. Cable. I had DirecTV installed and got through that hoop. THEN, Cable comes out to hook up Road Runner and they BLOW A GASKET over the CUT wires. They questioned me intently on it and I promptly told them who, what, when, where, why.... Next thing I know the Police are at my house getting a statement. No kidding. They had that installer arrested for damaging "their" property. They were sick of that kind of stuff. I gave them my receipt which had the installer's name and cell number. (He left his cell # in case I had any questions ) The cop called him and really ran him thorugh the ringer and later met him at the station. What a weird episode. Cool thing was I got all NEW wires, hookups, etc... I have both the Tivo and DVR. I like both just fine.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  15. #14
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,181

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    I've had Bluegrass Satellite come out twice in the last month to first install the HD dish and receiver then to replace the HR receiver with one with a DVR. They were on time and had no major issues like you did. I would call DirecTV and complain since Bluegrass is contracted by DirecTV. I would assume DirecTV would not want to lose a customer or potential customer because of this type of service.

  16. #15
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: directv dvr vs tivo

    Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I've had Bluegrass Satellite come out twice in the last month to first install the HD dish and receiver then to replace the HR receiver with one with a DVR. They were on time and had no major issues like you did. I would call DirecTV and complain since Bluegrass is contracted by DirecTV. I would assume DirecTV would not want to lose a customer or potential customer because of this type of service.
    Oh I called and complained. Keep in mind I got stood up like three times. The third time I was in my back yard working when I saw a small pickup truck with a extension ladder strapped to the top (real professional ) drive real slow by my house. I figured it was the installers, but they kept driving and never stopped. I ran inside and called Direc Tv. they called the installers on their cell and the installers told them that they came to my door but no one was home. A complete LIE!! Any way I ended up getting free Cinemax out of it.

    It was three years ago that all this happened and I figured that by now they had gotten their act together. However when I got stood up yet again last month by these clowns I decided I will be without DVR because the nonsense I had to put up with isnt worth it!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25