Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLBTradeRumors.com Brings Back Up Dunn/Penny Trade

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

MLBTradeRumors.com Brings Back Up Dunn/Penny Trade

There are a host of smaller stories floating around, so I will mention them in one post.

Trading Todd Helton seems to be a touchy subject in Denver. But I don't think that since Dan O'Dowd made this bed, he has to lie in it. Yes, the insane contract was his mistake, but if he can do something to improve the team's outlook and give them the payroll flexibility to compete for the rest of the decade, he has to do it. Baseball is a business, even if Helton is well-liked and wants to stay in Colorado. Seems that he might veto any trade though.

Didn't realize Shawn Chacon's contract can be bought out for less than a million in spring training. I think the Pirates should do this and bring in a decent starter. Maybe not Tony Armas Jr., but Jon Lieber would be cool if the Phils ate some salary. If the Bucs can get a little defense going on they could almost contend in the NL Central. They shouldn't waste 100 innings on Chacon.

Paul Lo Duca is a free agent after '07 and wants to talk contract extension. The Mets seem a little reluctant.

Would it make sense to trade Adam Dunn for Brad Penny?

How cool would it be to have the Marlins' manager on your jury? AND John Schuerholz in the jury pool for the same case?

Buster Olney reports that the Phils and Padres are kicking around an Aaron Rowand trade. San Diego would send a reliever for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLBTradeRumors.com Brings Back Up Dunn/Penny Trade

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Buster Olney reports that the Phils and Padres are kicking around an Aaron Rowand trade. San Diego would send a reliever for him.

who does philly want for rowand? he would be nice in a reds uniform.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I like the idea of the deal.. but I got to think the Reds MUST request Ethier or Kemp are involved in the deal. A deal I may counter offer would be:

Dunn and Milton or Lohse to LA
    Penny, Ethier, and Brazoban or Loney

I like Penny but if you trade Dunn where is our offense going to come from? EE can't do it alone and there needs to some power in that line up especially considering the park the Reds play in.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I like the idea of the deal.. but I got to think the Reds MUST request Ethier or Kemp are involved in the deal. A deal I may counter offer would be:

Dunn and Milton or Lohse to LA
    Penny, Ethier, and Brazoban or Loney
    YES SIR!!! Don't think that would happen though.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am not sure I would make a run for James Loney unless you planned on moving him again. Joey Votto and Loney both play first base, and in my mind Votto is the better of the two.

You can't trade Adam Dunn for pitching. You'll have no offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You can't trade Adam Dunn for pitching. You'll have no offense.
    I think that if the Reds F.O., and Wayne in particular, thought they could improve by trading Adam Dunn straight up for pitching, they would have done so already. They know that our offense would suck rocks if they traded Adam Dunn and only received pitching back in return, so they don't do it, IMO. Now, if someone offered a good pitcher AND some offense in return, that might pique their interest.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Penny would be a good starting point and Either would be the meat of the dish but the true desert would be Broxton . Would never happen but stranger things have happened.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    who does philly want for rowand? he would be nice in a reds uniform.

Rowand < Freel

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not sure I would make a run for James Loney unless you planned on moving him again. Joey Votto and Loney both play first base, and in my mind Votto is the better of the two.
    Doug, what are you basing your opinion on? Loney had a pretty equal season to Votto in '06 at a higher level and being a year younger. Votto showed more power and Loney hit for a higher average. I think Votto has gotten a bit too much publicity on this site off of one season. I still think he is a good prospect, but maybe he is a bit overrated by some.

About the best you will get from LA for Dunn is Penny and Either or Kemp and with that Cincy would have to throw in either a minor leaguer or a reliever also.But I would make the deal it would give Cincy something they havent had in a while.A hard throwing pitcher in there rotation.But it would also take away offense but if the Reds can somehow get Either added to the deal he can help.It would make our offense young and talented with Either,EE,Phillips,and with Bruce,Votto about ready to come up the Reds could contend this year but in 2 to 3 years they could be a very good team.I say make the trade if it can be made.

LOL - glad to see we got this week's "trade Adam Dunn" thread out of the way early. Did we miss one last week?

Dunn for Penny straight up would be a lousy trade. If we're going to trade Adam (and I think we shouldn't), we need to get a lot more than just one player, particularly losing the signficant offense AD brings to the table (K's notwithstanding).

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

Dunn for Penny straight up would be a lousy trade. If we're going to trade Adam (and I think we shouldn't), we need to get a lot more than just one player, particularly losing the signficant offense AD brings to the table (K's notwithstanding).
    Some people just can't understand that

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Doug, what are you basing your opinion on? Loney had a pretty equal season to Votto in '06 at a higher level and being a year younger. Votto showed more power and Loney hit for a higher average. I think Votto has gotten a bit too much publicity on this site off of one season. I still think he is a good prospect, but maybe he is a bit overrated by some.
    I think Votto gets a lot of crap off this site for his 2005 season when he was forced to take the first pitch of every at bat. Take a look at what he did in 2004 and what he did last season when he was allowed to be selective on his own merit. He tore apart the leagues he was in. That being said, here is why I like Votto more.
    Loney is a high average guy, but his isolated discipline is just .46, where last season Votto had an isolated discipline of .89, nearly doubled that. Loney had an isolated power of .166, while Votto boasted an iso power of .228. Loney played in the PCL, where the average OPS was .758 and his was .973, the difference of .215. Votto played in the Southern League where the average OPS was .691 and his OPS was .976, a difference of .285. Votto also had the wheels and smarts to steal 24 bases in 31 attempts, while Loney stole just 9 out of 14.
    Now, Votto is 8 months older than Loney and played in AA while Loney played in AAA, but with Votto I see more than just a high batting average with doubles power (which is what I see in Loney), I see a good batting average with a lot more Hr pop, a little more doubles pop and the speed to steal you quite a few more bases. Votto also knows how to take a walk much better. The only thing Loney seems to have on Votto is his ability to hit for a higher average. I will take Vottos power, speed and plate discipline with his batting average over Loneys advantage in being able to hit for a higher average.

Turn Off Ads?