Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ranking top Double Play Combos National League

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Ranking top Double Play Combos National League

Where do you guys think we rank? Here is my order (last year's fielding percentage) also I understand that fielding percentage is not exactly a tell all stat but if someone has a better matrix for fielders then feel free to offer your statistical aid.

1. cardinals- david eckstein(.989) and adam kennedy(.984)
    2. giants- omar vizquel(.993) and ray durham(.982)
    3. astros-craig biggio(.989) and adam everett(.990)
    4. padres- khalil greene(.980) and marcus giles(.983)
    5. reds- brandon phillips(.977) / alex gonzalez(.985)
    6. diamondbacks-stephen drew(.978) and orlando hudson(.984)
    7. phillies- chase utley(.977) and jimmy rollins(.984)
    8. braves- kelly johnson(*) and edgar renteria(.978)
    9. mets- jose reyes(.971) and jose valentin(.988)
    10. pirates- jack wilson(.972) and jose castillo(.975)
    11. dodgers- rafael furcal(.966) and jeff kent(.985)
    12. cubs- cesar izturis(.955) and mark derosa(.993)
    13. brewers- jj hardy(.986) and richie weeks(.952)
    14. rockies- Troy Tulowitzki(.983) and Jamey Carroll(.971)
    15. marlins- hanley ramirez(.963) and dan uggla(.980)
    16. nationals- christian guzman(.973&) and felipe lopez(.953)

* No Major League Stats Available
    & 2005 stats
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ranking top Double Play Combos National League

If your basing the Cardinals on up the middle defense alone, I would say no. Both Kennedy and Eckstein have limited range and I've always felt Eckstein's arm was weak. He is consistent and he always gets into the proper position to make a throw but I highly doubt he makes many plays in the hole. However, he seems to always know hitters and where the ball his gonna be hit and plays in the hole or up the middle if necessary. This of course is valuable. However, I think defense is being able to make all the routine plays as well as the plays no regular shortshop can get too. As much as it pains me to say it, I like our chances as top double play combo and up the middle defense. Just so long as Gonzo and Phillips can get into a rhythm with the double play. Here's to hoping this combo can help the pitchers too!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Ranking top Double Play Combos National League

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    If your basing the Cardinals on up the middle defense alone, I would say no. Both Kennedy and Eckstein have limited range and I've always felt Eckstein's arm was weak. He is consistent and he always gets into the proper position to make a throw but I highly doubt he makes many plays in the hole. However, he seems to always know hitters and where the ball his gonna be hit and plays in the hole or up the middle if necessary. This of course is valuable. However, I think defense is being able to make all the routine plays as well as the plays no regular shortshop can get too. As much as it pains me to say it, I like our chances as top double play combo and up the middle defense. Just so long as Gonzo and Phillips can get into a rhythm with the double play. Here's to hoping this combo can help the pitchers too!
    I have no problem agreeing with this sentiment. I have the cardinals as the #1 combo because of exactly what you said. It is nice to be able to make the outstanding play in the hole between short and 3rd but when the next batter chops one directly at you and the throw to first hits a peanut vendor then there is a problem. Eckstein and Kennedy seem to make nearly every play that i "routine" (if there trully is such a thing as a routine play) plus with their study of the game they are almost always in the proper posistion.

I used steady play and minimal mental breakdowns to rank my top 3.

It was virtually a coin flip for 4th IMO. I went with the padres only because I am a huge fan of Khalil Greene. If he ever decides to stop hitting for power and become a gap line drive type guy in petco, he has the potential to be a hall of famer (off topic). I admit though that as far as the acrobatic, get to the ball 20 feet deep in right, type plays our 4 and 6 probably combine for the most range on any team in the NL.

I'll bump the reds up to number 4...

hopefully by midseason its blatant that they deserve the numero uno though
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Turn Off Ads?