Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our defense as a whole

Our defense as a whole

As many of you know, much has been made about our new and improved infield defense. And granted, it should be solid, if not spectacular, with Encarnacion hopefully improving at 3rd and Phillips and AGon forming one of the better up the middle duos in the division, if not the league.

However... what about our outfield defense? If Griffey and Dunn play a significant amount of games (very iffy in regards to Griffey, but still) our outfield defense will be well below average. Dunn will make the great play occasionally, and botch an easy one just as often, and while I love Griffey, he's got the range of a statue at this point.

The outfield defense as presently constituted is a problem, especially with a primarily fly ball pitching staff. I just worry that the great infield defense will be negated by our fly ball pitcher's, and an outfield defense that will at least start the year out well below average.

I wish there was an easy solution to this, but outside of trades or someone getting hurt, there's no other way around it. I don't see a trade happening at this point and you never know about injuries. Dunn is anchored in left, and so is Griffey in center (or right???) as long as he's healthy. Deno, Freel and other's (if they get enough playing time) will help when they're in there, but will that be enough?

Here's hoping that the ENTIRE defense is solid, and not just the infield. You can't put together one half of a painting and declare it a work of art when the other half of the canvas is completely blank...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Our defense as a whole

IF CF is manned by Freel / Deno and RF by KGJ, it probably won't be too bad.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    IF CF is manned by Freel / Deno and RF by KGJ, it probably won't be too bad.
    I hope Junior moves to right. Ryan HighlightFreel is a spectacular fielder...PERIOD!

And who could ever forget this catch that robbed Pujols last year. By far the best catch I have EVER seen.

and denorfia is even better, although not as dramatic.
    School's out. What did you expect?

If Griffey moves, then all of the corner positions are shakey, but we should be okay up the middle. Except at catcher.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    As many of you know, much has been made about our new and improved infield defense. And granted, it should be solid, if not spectacular, with Encarnacion hopefully improving at 3rd and Phillips and AGon forming one of the better up the middle duos in the division, if not the league.

However... what about our outfield defense? If Griffey and Dunn play a significant amount of games (very iffy in regards to Griffey, but still) our outfield defense will be well below average. Dunn will make the great play occasionally, and botch an easy one just as often, and while I love Griffey, he's got the range of a statue at this point.

The outfield defense as presently constituted is a problem, especially with a primarily fly ball pitching staff. I just worry that the great infield defense will be negated by our fly ball pitcher's, and an outfield defense that will at least start the year out well below average.

I wish there was an easy solution to this, but outside of trades or someone getting hurt, there's no other way around it. I don't see a trade happening at this point and you never know about injuries. Dunn is anchored in left, and so is Griffey in center (or right???) as long as he's healthy. Deno, Freel and other's (if they get enough playing time) will help when they're in there, but will that be enough?

Here's hoping that the ENTIRE defense is solid, and not just the infield. You can't put together one half of a painting and declare it a work of art when the other half of the canvas is completely blank...
    What I see is Dunn in LF, Deno or Freel in CF and Griffey in RF.
    Griffey won't play 162 games and was awful vs lefties last year.
    I expect him to play 100-120 games.
    As the roster stands now Deno or Freel plays RF the other 40-60 games.

This is about as good as it gets until Griffey retires after 2008.

I thought the title of this thread was "Our defense has a hole".

Figured it was about Junior in CF..
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

This is about as good as it gets until Griffey retires after 2008.
    i doubt griffey will retire after 2008.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Griffey doesn't have the range anymore but he will make the routine play. Freel has range, will make a great play, but struggles with the routine play, and seems to come way to close to too many collisions. I would rather have Grif in CF than freel. Deno is a better all around OF than Freel and I would be ok with him in CF. We are just going to have to live with Dunner in left. The infield D should be good and improve as EE improves. They guy can make the great play he just needs to focus more on the Routine play. You still have to throw out the wild card in Hamilton. Doesn't the guy have speed and an arm?

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    i doubt griffey will retire after 2008.
    IMO the 2006 version of Griffey:

weak in the field. even in RF in 2007 he will be below average. in CF in 2006 he was terrible.

swings for a HR every time up. look at his walk rate in 2006 compared to earlier in his career.

is basically a platoon player. i believe he hit under .200 vs lefties last year.

i can't imagine the 2009 version of Griffey being a guy we want starting for the Reds.

swings for a HR every time up. look at his walk rate in 2006 compared to earlier in his career.
    He made a significant adjustment in August. I think you'll see a more patient hitter in 07.

It really comes down to Junior's ego, doesn't it? and that's a pretty huge mountain to climb.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

i can't imagine the 2009 version of Griffey being a guy we want starting for the Reds.
    If JR doesn't retire after 08 I find it hard to believe the Reds will pick up the option, they will buy him out and let him go FA.
    Go Gators!

In 2009, the REDS can be free of his handicap for $4M or be further handcuffed as Junior tries to struggle hitting .230 with no walks for $16M.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

should it have been

"our defense as a hole"

Turn Off Ads?