Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffey wants another shot at the closer's job.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Coffey wants another shot at the closer's job.

http://www.dispatch.com/reds/reds.ph...126-F7-01.html

I just noticed this story this morning.

It should be interesting to see how Narron handles this in spring with all the competition for the job.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coffey wants another shot at the closer's job.

Coffey is the best guy in the bullpen to close. He's also the best guy for the 8th or the 7th. IMO he is the only guy in the pen presently who isn't either suspect (Bray, Majewski, Belisle, Stanton) or a real liability (Weathers, Cormier).

The Reds shouldn't be trading off young bullpen prospects without getting a real upgrade somewhere. In the new market these interchangeable bullpen parts are too expensive and just as likely to be terrible. Having a large supply of younger ones allows a team to go through a lot of guys to find a good one without it costing $10s of Millions in salary and an overpayment in talent as acquisition cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Coffey is the best guy in the bullpen to close.
    Yeah...exept that he was HORRIBLE as a closer last year.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I hope that's not it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    That's much more of a testament to how bad the overall bullpen was last year than how *bad* Coffey was at closer.

Coffey had a mere handful of innings to *prove* himself at closer last season. What I do know is that only one or two pitchers in the bullpen recorded huge strikeouts in tough situations last season: Guardado and Coffey. Whether those Ks came in the 9th or not, I don't know, and don't much care.

Before reading the article I would have said a flat "no" to the idea of Coffey as closer again, prefering to keep him as the set-up man, but now I'd have no problem with it. I remember at the time someone here noting that Todd seemed like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when he was closing games, and he basically admitted it here. If he can get the mental part of it down I think he could be a perfectly fine closer.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

First of all, competition is a good thing.

For all the grief Krivsky has taken for being a "middle-relief connaisseur," the bullpen is much deeper than it was going into spring training last year, with the exception of the glaring hole at the closer role. If you keep all the long, middle, and 8th inning guys where they are now, and add a closer, this is a pretty darn good bullpen, IMO.

But, if like last year, Narron has to start moving guys into positions they're not used to pitching in (ie-out of their usual role), then bad things tend to happen.

IMO, not going out and getting a guy specifically to close, means the Reds don't think they will win this year. Either that, or they're counting on Not-quite-Everyday Eddie to make a quick comeback.

I'd give Coffey another shot at closing. Overall, he pitched very well last year (so did Weathers, IMO). He did falter in the closing role, and was switched out of it rather quickly. Give him a shot at it occasionally this year; if he falters again, move him back.

I can't see Stanton and Weathers closing all year; something else is going to happen, maybe at the ASB.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    And he would likely have the same problems this year.

When Coffey went to the closer's role last year, there was no one to get the game to the 9th with the lead. The result was that Coffey was worked so irregularly that he was not effective.

I think the Reds would have similar problems with this pen getting to the 9th with the lead unless Coffey is the guy to do it. I have some hope for Bray and even Majewski and am praying that Stanton has one more good season in him, but I don't really believe that all three will be assets. If 2 are, then the Reds may be able to get by if they get a lot of innings from Harang and Arroyo.

Put Coffey on a better team with more regular work in the closer's role and I think he would do a fine job.

He was a different guy under the pressure of the closer's role last season. It takes mental toughness to be a good closer, day in and day out. With experience, I think Coffey would come through.

Give him the ninth inning in those spring training games and see how he handles it. Then take your chances at the beginning of the season.

Whoever gets the job will keep the seat warm till Guardado is ready to go at the allstar break.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

While I'd love to see Coffey close for numerous reasons, I have to have a somewhat sinister reason for keeping him in middle relief -- arbitration. Your basic "reliever", no matter how dominant, simply won't get the numbers in arbitration that a "closer" will get. Closers get stupid expensive in arbitration and I want Coffey to be around for a while.

Personally, if I had 2 pitchers, a dominant reliever and a David Weathers type, I'd use the dominant guy as a high leverage relief "ace" and David Weathers as my everyday closer. I think a model with Coffey & Bray as the high leverage R/L combo and Weathers & Stanton as the R/L closer combo makes sense for us.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And he would likely have the same problems this year.

When Coffey went to the closer's role last year, there was no one to get the game to the 9th with the lead. The result was that Coffey was worked so irregularly that he was not effective.

I think the Reds would have similar problems with this pen getting to the 9th with the lead unless Coffey is the guy to do it. I have some hope for Bray and even Majewski and am praying that Stanton has one more good season in him, but I don't really believe that all three will be assets. If 2 are, then the Reds may be able to get by if they get a lot of innings from Harang and Arroyo.

Put Coffey on a better team with more regular work in the closer's role and I think he would do a fine job.
    My thought on Stanton has been that with a two year deal, if he has a good year this season, we can move him next in the middle of the contract. I'm also hopeful that Bray and Majik will prove to be useful pick-ups, showing the value the team was seeking last year.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I hope that's not it.
    Hey Dunn 5th, that's familiar
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I hope that's not it.
    switch Hatteberg and Phillips and that is what I expect.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    switch Hatteberg and Phillips and that is what I expect.
    If they do that and put Griffey in RF I would be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?