Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffey wants another shot at the closer's job.

Re: Coffey wants another shot at the closer's job.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If they do that and put Griffey in RF I would be happy.
    and switch Dunn and Jr. in the lineup.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    and switch Dunn and Jr. in the lineup.
    Oh yeah, that too. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Give him the ninth inning in those spring training games and see how he handles it. Then take your chances at the beginning of the season.

Whoever gets the job will keep the seat warm till Guardado is ready to go at the allstar break.

Who will Coffey realistically face in the 9th innings of ST games? I'd rather he be brought in for situations earlier in ballgames to get anywhere from 3 to 6 guys out in the meat of the opposition's lineup. It's ST, only the last week do you really get a feel for your team and the rest of the teams.

give him a shot. what's there to lose?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    give him a shot. what's there to lose?
    Games

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Games
    aren't we used to that anyway?

sloucho

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Yeah...exept that he was HORRIBLE as a closer last year.
    He's still very young, and one thing you learn in that role, is to not "overpitch".

He mentioned that specifically, which marks his maturity to me.

But, you got to prove it on the field, that's for sure.

The fact that he is coming out and saying he has learned, and WANTS to be the closer tells me to give him a chance, closing games takes a different mentality and weathers has said himself he is not a closer, but would pitch where needed, so give him a shot, if he has in fact learned the art, we will have one of the best closers in the game, possibly for years to come.

sloucho

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    While I'd love to see Coffey close for numerous reasons, I have to have a somewhat sinister reason for keeping him in middle relief -- arbitration. Your basic "reliever", no matter how dominant, simply won't get the numbers in arbitration that a "closer" will get. Closers get stupid expensive in arbitration and I want Coffey to be around for a while.

Personally, if I had 2 pitchers, a dominant reliever and a David Weathers type, I'd use the dominant guy as a high leverage relief "ace" and David Weathers as my everyday closer. I think a model with Coffey & Bray as the high leverage R/L combo and Weathers & Stanton as the R/L closer combo makes sense for us.
    Well that makes sense financially, I think you have to think of the moral of the bullpen though, and how much chaos that would create. For a guy, who knows he is better than the closer, being stuck in middle relief would definitely cause problems. With Coffey, you can say, "well, son, you are going to have to beat out Weathers", and wait until you sign him, and then let him close, but if the middle relief guy is unhittable, before you can lock him up, I don't see how you hold him back from being promoted. Right now, Coffey isn't "dominant" enough to even be upset about not being a closer, but I can see your point.

I guess it is rather sinister, and I don't think you could do it, but it's a good idea, if you could get away with it.

I'm glad to hear he's that confident about his ability. Hope he proves it in whatever role he happens to earn.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

In my opinion Todd Coffey should just be making a statement that he wants a spot in the bullpen after how bad he was the last part of the season. I realize before someone corrects me that he obviously has a spot because of how weak this bullpen is, but i definately don't believe he deserves another shot at closer, he was like the 2nd coming of Danny Graves.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    In my opinion Todd Coffey should just be making a statement that he wants a spot in the bullpen after how bad he was the last part of the season. I realize before someone corrects me that he obviously has a spot because of how weak this bullpen is, but i definately don't believe he deserves another shot at closer, he was like the 2nd coming of Danny Graves.
    Are you referring to his 3.66 post ASB ERA? Perhaps his 2.45 ERA in September? Coffey had a rough summer June-August, but was great in the spring and late summer. In fact, he was better after the ASB based solely on his peripherals.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    ...he was like the 2nd coming of Danny Graves.
    The Danny Graves who holds the team record for career saves?
    Makes all the routine posts.

yea, danny graves was great wasn't he? do you ever figure in blown saves? graves was pathetic, he was overrated his whole time here, and anyone here that even watched the reds last season would know that when it mattered and todd coffey was put on the spot he got torched.
    Last edited by mroby85; 02-02-2007 at 12:03 AM.

I would give Coffey another shot at the closer's role.

Turn Off Ads?