Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America debuts Reds Top 10

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Re: Baseball America debuts Reds Top 10

Regarding Joey Votto being raw at first base. I saw him play about 20 games with Chatt last year and he made some sensational plays at 1b so he definately has the athleticism for it. But, I also saw him make some really bone headed plays that are indicative of him simply not knowing how to play the position yet. It seems that time and reps will fix that problem. I suspect the "raw" comment is more about his understanding of the position than his physical capability to play it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Doug, where do you get the LD% rates from for MiL'ers?
    Well Jeff Sackmann came up with one of my favorite inventions ever when he started Minorleaguesplits.com. It has batted ball types for every player who played in the minor leagues last year. I ran the numbers and got the line drive percentages. Now take for instance that the numbers are slightly rough due to the fact all the data is based off of the game logs from milb.com, but it is a nice tool to look at becuase a line drive is nearly always a line drive and not really questioned as "well maybe it was a fly ball".

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    I don't know much about these players other than what I see on websites like this one or by looking at the stats. So I want to be clear that my comments are not about them nor am I deriding their ability.

I simply find it curious that BA continues to put players on their top ten list who have not played above low A. With the exception of players like Jay Bruce, who seem to be well ahead of their peers, it seems like BA would not want to make any more BJ Symanski mistakes.

Regardless of a player's ceiling coming out of college or highschool, it seems that it would be prudent to wait to see how these players perform when they get to a 142 game schedule, with higher caliber competition and greater expectations/pressure before labeling them as a top ten prospect. It really makes me wonder how BA, who by their own estimation have their finger on the pulse of baseball, actually creates these rankings. Do they really make them based on what the front office and real high level scouts tell them? Or do they say what will sell the most $62 website subscriptions
    Well their list is a lot like my list, and the Redszone community list. They have scouts and contacts with scouts that help them with their information gathering and the writers themselves see a lot of baseball as well.

Im not putting much value into the projected 2010 lineup but ohh how nice that looks:

Catcher: Miguel Perez
    First Base: Joey Votto
    Second Base: Brandon Phillips
    Third Base: Edwin Encarnacion
    Shortstop: Milton Loo
    Left Field: Adam Dunn
    Center Field: Drew Stubbs
    Right Field: Jay Bruce
    No. 1 Starter: Homer Bailey
    No. 2 Starter: Aaron Harang
    No. 3 Starter: Bronson Arroyo
    No. 4 Starter: Johnny Cueto
    No. 5 Starter: Travis Wood
    Closer: Sean Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    Im not putting much value into the projected 2010 lineup but ohh how nice that looks:

Catcher: Miguel Perez
    First Base: Joey Votto
    Second Base: Brandon Phillips
    Third Base: Edwin Encarnacion
    Shortstop: Milton Loo
    Left Field: Adam Dunn
    Center Field: Drew Stubbs
    Right Field: Jay Bruce
    No. 1 Starter: Homer Bailey
    No. 2 Starter: Aaron Harang
    No. 3 Starter: Bronson Arroyo
    No. 4 Starter: Johnny Cueto
    No. 5 Starter: Travis Wood
    Closer: Sean Watson
    I could pretty much guarantee you that 2 of Dunn, Harang and Arroyo won't be here in 2010. I would doubt that Miguel Perez would be our starting catcher at any point either. He just doesn't have the stick to be a starting catcher. He'd make a good backup, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well Jeff Sackmann came up with one of my favorite inventions ever when he started Minorleaguesplits.com. It has batted ball types for every player who played in the minor leagues last year. I ran the numbers and got the line drive percentages. Now take for instance that the numbers are slightly rough due to the fact all the data is based off of the game logs from milb.com, but it is a nice tool to look at becuase a line drive is nearly always a line drive and not really questioned as "well maybe it was a fly ball".
    Best website evar!!1 I love it because he has BABIP numbers, which can really make a huge difference in evaluating prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One View Post
    Best website evar!!1 I love it because he has BABIP numbers, which can really make a huge difference in evaluating prospects.
    Yes and no. In the minor leagues, I take most BABIP numbers with a grain of salt. Some hitters are just better than their competition and will put up really high BABIP numbers (Votto and his .371), but what is nice is to take a peak at their line drive percentage and see how it correlates with their BABIP.

For example, Cameron Maybin (DET, OF) had a BABIP of .415 last season, but just a 9.6 Line drive percentage. Something smells ridiculously funny about that, and for that reason I think he is currently one of the most overrated prospects in the game. Jay Bruce had a .351 BABIP, and a line drive percentage of 15.5. When you look at the two side by side, something just is not right with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I could pretty much guarantee you that 2 of Dunn, Harang and Arroyo won't be here in 2010. I would doubt that Miguel Perez would be our starting catcher at any point either. He just doesn't have the stick to be a starting catcher. He'd make a good backup, though.
    neither does Yadier Molina, but I'd take him. Perez's glove work isn't to his yet, but he is one of the top MiL defensive catchers. A lot like Molina. If we have a solid offense, I wouldn't mind him being our starter.

jmcclain19, can we get a report back on the chat?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    neither does Yadier Molina, but I'd take him. Perez's glove work isn't to his yet, but he is one of the top MiL defensive catchers. A lot like Molina. If we have a solid offense, I wouldn't mind him being our starter.
    Except Molina had a minor league OPS 63 points higher than Perez. At Perez's age, Molina was acquitting himself well in AAA instead of bombing out in AA. Right now Perez looks like the second coming of Dane Sardinha.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    jmcclain19, can we get a report back on the chat?
    You can just follow it here.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You can just follow it here.

That was password protected. Is this a subscriber only feature?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That was password protected. Is this a subscriber only feature?
    Really? I thought the chats were public. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Really? I thought the chats were public. My apologies.
    They used to be up until maybe 2 years ago then they went premium.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I guess I just need to suck it up and re-subscribe to BA. I used to have a subsricption years ago. I assume a subscription to the missive gets you full premium on-line access too?

In the meanwhile, for those of us who have not ponied up for this, any synopsis or recap of the discussion would be cool and much appreciated, if anyone has time.

Turn Off Ads?