Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Re: OJ Mayo ejected, "knocks down" ref

The ref looks like a major drama queen.

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    I totally agree with both of your statements
    I completely agree with the first technical. In high school, if you hang on the rim, you get T'd. To me, what he did was no different - he was grandstanding.

I'm not sure he deserved the second one. Had he not hung around the refs, it wouldn't have mattered. Next time, head to the bench and let the coach take care of it from there.

It's rather sad that a high school kid already has a posse.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Unfortunately, I havent been able to see HHS this year. I was hoping to get tickets when they come here to Parkersburg next week, but I have to go for CPR training that night.

As far as the video goes, WSAZ is going nuts. I'm pretty sure that is all that has been shown all weekend. There were 44 fouls called in that game, 32 in the first half alone. For the most part, there was some home cooking in Kanawha County on Friday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

That ref is a disgrace, he should never be allowed to referee a game again in his life.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That ref is a disgrace, he should never be allowed to referee a game again in his life.
    Just another loser trying to make Sports Center. Heck I bet he sues Mayo for damages...(future earnings.)
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Now that I've had a chance to watch the video, the ref does look like he learned how to take a dive from the school of Italian soccer. That being said, I still stand by my rule that you don't touch refs, ever. Mayo should have never come up on the ref. If you let guys come up on refs to argue calls, you allow players to get into a position where they can use their physical stature to intimidate the ref. In any other sport, if a guy so much as looks at a ref or umpire funny, it's enough to get the guy run. All through organized sports, my coaches always told me, never argue with the ump/ref. If you have a problem with a call, tell coach and let coach handle it. I just can't understand how organized basketball allows players to act like complete jerks and disrespect the refs when a call doesn't go their way.

Flopping or not, he shouldn't have come up to the ref. Now as far as the ref flopping, I think that whoever is responsible for sanctioning high school referees should look into his performance in this game and decide whether they want a guy who acts like that calling their games. But its a separate issue from Mayo's acts in my mind. Mayo shouldn't have been near the guy in the first place.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 01-29-2007 at 10:05 PM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

The ref does look like he is a bit of a drama queen, but I think Mayo got what he deserved. That looked like it could have escalated quickly. He got T'ed, then circles a few guys, repeat.

Didn't I read something on here about a HS basketball in Ohio getting out of hand with arrests? I'm sure things like that were on the refs minds.

I couldn't see for sure, but it appeared that their feet got entangled by the way the ref went down.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Cabell County Circuit Judge Dan O'Hanlon has issued an injunction. Mayo and the other suspended HHS players will be taking the court tonight.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For anyone that cares, Mayo and the Highlanders defeated Artesia 73-66 last night. The court injunction allows Mayo and the other players ejected to be eligible until a hearing on Feb. 9th.
    "You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent, anything you say will be misquoted and used against you."

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by KGJR30 View Post
    For anyone that cares, Mayo and the Highlanders defeated Artesia 73-66 last night. The court injunction allows Mayo and the other players ejected to be eligible until a hearing on Feb. 9th.
    Guess that means they'll get to play this weekend when they meet our Scott Co. Cardinals at Memorial Coliseum in Lex.
    Last edited by Sweetstop; 01-31-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Cabell County Circuit Judge Dan O'Hanlon has issued an injunction. Mayo and the other suspended HHS players will be taking the court tonight.
    Well, that's one way to handle it....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Mayo looks like little more than an out of control thug in that scene. I hope that is the exception for him, but that certainly looks like a young man very, very full of himself.

Turn Off Ads?