Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OJ Mayo ejected, "knocks down" ref

Re: OJ Mayo ejected, "knocks down" ref

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Mayo looks like little more than an out of control thug in that scene. I hope that is the exception for him, but that certainly looks like a young man very, very full of himself.
    Oh I expect Mayo is quite full of himself. Given the adulation he has received, I am not surprised. Frankly, all athletes probably receive too much deference and hero worship.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mayo was out of line, ecspecially for HS basketball.

He might get away with that in college to an extent, but not in HS.

The ref may have overreacted with his slapstick routine, but you don't get the in face of a ref, ecspecially at the HS level.

I guess OJ's posse comes out to get him before his coach does?

Gotta love superjock HS sports these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Mayo was out of line, ecspecially for HS basketball.

He might get away with that in college to an extent, but not in HS.

The ref may have overreacted with his slapstick routine, but you don't get the in face of a ref, ecspecially at the HS level.

I guess OJ's posse comes out to get him before his coach does?

Gotta love superjock HS sports these days.
    Yep, it's not really his fault though.

I can't even begin to imagine how I would have been with that kind of clout at that age. The kid owns everyone around him because they see nothing but $$
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I knew who OJ Mayo was when he was in the 8th grade. That's sad. So yeah, part of the problem comes from external sources. But he's got real problems with his ego and his character and I'm afraid his talent isn't going to be enough to overcome these things once he starts playing against the best of the best in the NBA. I hope he doesn't self-destruct.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by KGJR30 View Post
    For anyone that cares, Mayo and the Highlanders defeated Artesia 73-66 last night. The court injunction allows Mayo and the other players ejected to be eligible until a hearing on Feb. 9th.
    Then the hearing will be delayed and delayed again and again until about July.
    At that time, Mayo will be suspended for 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Yep, it's not really his fault though.

I can't even begin to imagine how I would have been with that kind of clout at that age. The kid owns everyone around him because they see nothing but $$
    Only a lad,
    He really couldn't help it.
    Only a lad,
    He didn't want to do it.
    Only a lad,
    He's underprivileged and abused,
    Perhaps a little bit confused.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I watched this and I don't think it was so bad. Yeah he should have been teed up for carrying the ball like that but the other one looked pretty bogus to me. And it looked like the ref either tripped or flopped. It also looked like O.J. was going to help the guy up after he hit the floor. It didn't seem like O.J. had bad intentions. A lot of times refs tee someone up they get a big surge of adreneline and they do something foolish like going to the wrong end of the floor to shoot the T. Or they call another T just because they don't want to look like they are losing control. These ref aren't pros. This is a part time job for them. They make mistakes too and are just as prone to overreact as anyone is when confronted. You also have to wonder if this was Joe Schmo instead of O.J. Mayo, would the ref reacted the way he did and would it be such a big deal?

That doesn't excuse what O.J. did but was that so heinous? After all, he was just following the example he's seen on TV from NBA and college players. I remember whenever Kareem had a foul called on him his eyes got wide and he'd kind of half bend over and hold out his hands like he was saying, "What did I do?" All the big time players did crap like that. I'm glad Stern has told the refs in the NBA not to put up with that crap anymore.

Guys have done worse than this and have had nothing happen to them. He didn't assault anyone. I didn't see any thuggish behavior exhibited. It just seems like quite a bit of overreaction to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The referee and the Huntington High coach have submitted rather conflicting written accounts as to what occurred.
    The referee claimed that Mayo cursed him after intentionally knocking him down.
    The coach claimed that the referee told him before the game that Mayo had better keep his mouth shut, yet the referee later initiated conversations with Mayo; the coach added that at one point when Mayo was telling his teammates to be careful about fouling the referee interrupted to tell Mayo that he was the one who had better watch it.
    If the referee's account is accurate, Mayo should be suspended for the season. If the coach's account is accurate, the referee should never again officiate a game at any level. The problem is determining whether or not either account is accurate.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Mayo is suspended for four games effective after the Scott County game. This was handed down by the school and not the WVSSAC, who has agreed to drop their review as a result of the suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Mayo is suspended for four games effective after the Scott County game. This was handed down by the school and not the WVSSAC, who has agreed to drop their review as a result of the suspension.

Wonder if that game will still be played tonight, as Scott Co. has a snow day today.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    Wonder if that game will still be played tonight, as Scott Co. has a snow day today.
    Depends on snow in Lexington I think. The game is being played at either Rupp or Memorial Coliseum.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I know a ton of people who went to that game and they all said the same thing...the opposing team started the whole mess, and Mayo didn't do anything wrong. His mouth was shut when the ref T'd him up. The ref was out to get Mayo and HHS, and IMO, he should never be allowed to ref a game again.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Depends on snow in Lexington I think. The game is being played at either Rupp or Memorial Coliseum.
    I live in Scott Co. near Lexington. It IS being played at Memorial Coliseum. My son's going. On tv here.
    teach tolerance.

http://www.wsaz.com/hhsdreamteam/misc/5529566.html

Live feed of the Scott Co Huntington High game.

The TV announcers even made reference to it being a flop.

Perhaps it is my imagination, but it seems that on-field sports officials are more and more attempting to grab attention for themselves, rather than simply umpiring and reffing the game.
    Perhaps this is out of jealousy, want for attention, or whatnot, but it is yet another disturbing trend.

Turn Off Ads?