Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Akinori Otsuka Anyone !?!?!?

Reds1990

Akinori Otsuka Anyone !?!?!?

Anyone heard of this guy? Just read today on foxsports website that this guy is none to happy with the signing of Eric Gagne. If Gagne pitches well this spring they said Akinori could be made available. He converted 32 of 36 saves with a 2.11 ERA last year. Struck out 47 vs. 11 walks in 59 innings. He's 35 from Japan with three years MLB service. For his career he's pitched 199 innigs with 194 K's vs only 71 BB's, and a 2.59 ERA. Last year his contract was 800K. I'm sure you've all read the article on reds.com about closer questions posed by 980 the sports animal at the Reds caravan in West Carrollton yesterday. In my opinion the closer questions are are still unanswered. I'm not sold on the closer by committee or by the situational closing scenario. Would he be worth a gamble and better than anyone that we currently have?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Akinori Otsuka Anyone !?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by gobucks106 View Post
    Anyone heard of this guy? Just read today on foxsports website that this guy is none to happy with the signing of Eric Gagne. If Gagne pitches well this spring they said Akinori could be made available. He converted 32 of 36 saves with a 2.11 ERA last year. Struck out 47 vs. 11 walks in 59 innings. He's 35 from Japan with three years MLB service. For his career he's pitched 199 innigs with 194 K's vs only 71 BB's, and a 2.59 ERA. Last year his contract was 800K. I'm sure you've all read the article on reds.com about closer questions posed by 980 the sports animal at the Reds caravan in West Carrollton yesterday. In my opinion the closer questions are are still unanswered. I'm not sold on the closer by committee or by the situational closing scenario. Would he be worth a gamble and better than anyone that we currently have?
    Yes, he'd be worth the "gamble." Yes, he's better than anyone we currently have. No, I would not want to pay what the Rangers would probably ask for in return for him (likely Votto, Cueto, and another mid level prospect, if not "no Bailey, no chance.").
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Would be a great move, ended the season with 32 saves after not notching the first one until the 29th of April.

Yeah he would be a nice acquisition, but not at the expense of our prospects. The guy is 35, and I dont want to give up 20-23 year olds to land him. Id rather give Weathers and Stanton a go!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

He would be a great addition but it's not going to happen.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here before, but heck yeah!

he is fantastic which automatically means he wont be able to be acquired

Otsuka would be a fantastic grab. What he'd cost is an open question though. I doubt the Reds are trading any of their top six prospects for him. I'd pretty much put any other two on the table though.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Give me Broxton instead, he would look good in CIncy

Gagne is done,He `ll get his chances.

Isnt this the gimmicky pitcher that pitched for the Padres a couple years back? IMO he gets by because of his delivery, and not his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Farney View Post
    Isnt this the gimmicky pitcher that pitched for the Padres a couple years back? IMO he gets by because of his delivery, and not his stuff.
    If that was true he wouldn't have been able to put up the kind of numbers he has. Major league hitters are too good to be fooled for this long.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Otsuka is a stud and he doesn't walk anybody if I remember correctly.

Turn Off Ads?