Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Todd Helton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm toolsy.

Todd Helton

There is a "trade for Todd Helton" thread on ORG, but since I can't post there, here is an ESPN article about what the Rockies are looking for:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2747254

Basically they aer discussing a deal with Boston that includes Mike Lowell, Julian Tavarez and prospects Craig Hansen and Manny Declarmen.

Helton DOES have a no trade clause, but he has said taht he would waive it to go to Boston.

Re: Todd Helton

Helton is worthless. Any trade value is based on the amount of money Colorado will eat. Having said that I wouldn't deal those 4 guys to Colorado even if the Rockies picked up his entire contract, I would part with the guys the Sox have supposedly offered(Lowell and Tavarez).

The Skinny! My guess this gets done but with a lesser prospect perhaps.

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Todd Helton
    Rockies Red Sox? Far from a done deal
    Jan 29 - Todd Helton still could end up in Boston, but trade talks have hit another snag, the Rocky Mountain News reports. The Rockies remain firm in their demand that one of the elite prospects in the Red Sox system be included if a deal is made.

Helton, who's indicated he would approve a trade to Boston, will make $16.6 million this season and has $91.1 million guaranteed over the next five years. The sides have a general understanding on the Rockies picking up $40 million of what remains of the contract, but there have been problems finalizing the details and agreeing which players Colorado will receive.

Boston has offered right-handed pitcher Julian Tavarez, who is guaranteed $3.1 million in 2007, and third baseman Mike Lowell, who is guaranteed $9 million.

In addition, the Rockies gave the Red Sox a list that includes five prime prospects -- center fielder Jacob Ellsbury, and right-handed pitchers Daniel Bard, Manny Delcarmen, Craig Hansen and Clay Buchholz -- and said one would have to be in the deal. They would consider substituting Jon Lester, who underwent chemotherapy for a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma last year, pending medical approval. But Boston GM Theo Epstein has refused to expand his offer past Lowell and Tavarez.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The Skinny! My guess this gets done but with a lesser prospect perhaps.
    My jaw will drop if the BoSox trade anything other than salary dumps (Lowell), spare parts and minor league fodder for Helton even with the Rockies taking on half of Helton's contract.

Actually, my jaw would drop if the BoSox agreed to just take Helton straight up for Lowell even at half of Helton's contract. Flushing $9M down the toilet on Lowell in '07 is still better than dramatically overpaying Helton for '08-'11. IMHO, it will be a real bellwether concerning just how smart (or dumb) the BoSox are.... If O'Dowd can pull this off, he would definitely be front runner for GM of the year given his off season....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Helton is a solid player who will probably own the Pesky Pole at Fenway, if the Sox pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Helton is a solid player who will probably own the Pesky Pole at Fenway, if the Sox pick him up.

He's projected to be a two win bat in '07 in about as extreme a hitter's park as there is.... After that he's the definition of marginal (yes, that means below average).

If he won't own the thin air in Denver, i'm skeptical he'll own anything in Fenway.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If he won't own the thin air in Denver, i'm skeptical he'll own anything in Fenway.
    The debate is part of the reason why baseball's the best game on the planet. We'll see what happens.

He's projected to be a two win bat in '07 in about as extreme a hitter's park as there is.... After that he's the definition of marginal (yes, that means below average).

It's hard to wrap my head around it too, but with the humidor plugged in, Colorado is not playing like the hitter's park I'll always think of it as.

So really not sure what a healthy Helton would do - better or worse - in Boston.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

forget about projections and look at how good Todd Helton has been for a long time. he fell off some last year, but he's still very good.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

"My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Except that minuscule poke to right field that Big Papi exploits constantly.

Helton would clobber in Fenway, and Epstein knows this.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Except that minuscule poke to right field that Big Papi exploits constantly.

Helton would clobber in Fenway, and Epstein knows this.

The latest rumor suggests the Rockies were willing to leave the Bosox on the hook for only $37M while also taking Lowell's $9M off of Epstein's hands as well... yet the BoSox balked at including a youngster....it sees Epstein also knows the likely hood of Helton not clobbering Fenway is significant enough to make committing to him a risky thing...

The latest rumor suggests the Rockies were willing to leave the Bosox on the hook for only $37M while also taking Lowell's $9M off of Epstein's hands as well... yet the BoSox balked at including a youngster....it sees Epstein also knows the likely hood of Helton not clobbering Fenway is significant enough to make committing to him a risky thing...
    I didn't say Epstein wouldn't try to haggle....

But the degree of interest shown by the Sox shows they understand his worth is still quite high, and not likely simply a product of pre-humidor Coors.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?