Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What will have to take place for "the trade" to even out?

GOREDSGO32

What will have to take place for "the trade" to even out?

Say Kearns and Lopez continue with their career numbers, barring injury (I don't know why you would wanna root for a guy to get injured though so the trade turns out to look better for your team), what would Bray, Majeski, and the minor leaguers brought in have to accomplish to make this trade look close to even? I would think if Bray and Majekski get great numbers in their time here as long relievers, say around 3 ERA or under, it would be a very beneficial trade on our part. I have no idea what our minor leaguers are we got out of the deal are, I don't think they were impact players, but if any of those pan out to be decent major leaguers, in addition, that would make the trade seem pretty darn good looking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What will have to take place for "the trade" to even out?

Harris and Clayton are out of the equation. Majewski will never be anything more than an average reliever. Bray could be special. maybe.

So in order for this trade to even out, Daryl Thompson needs to be healthy.

And freaking spectacular.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think it's going to be nearly impossible.

GOREDSGO32

Who was Harris, and he's already gone? And who is this Darryl Thompson guy?

Bray becomes a closer, hes a lefty so lets say he magically turns into billy wagner. Magewski comes back as one of the better set up men in baseball. And darryl thompson makes the big leagues as a solid #3. That would make me happy.

We are already ahead.

Gonzalez > Lopez

Bray, Majik > Kearns

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    Who was Harris, and he's already gone? And who is this Darryl Thompson guy?
    Brendan Harris, an infielder who got sent to Tampa Bay recently for a player to be named. Thompson is a single A pitcher who apparently was a good prospect but was coming off an injury, he didn't pitch much last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    We are already ahead.

Gonzalez > Lopez

Bray, Majik > Kearns
    I'm in agreement. Lopez has to be one of most overrated Reds of recent times...

Time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by noskill27 View Post
    I'm in agreement. Lopez has to be one of most overrated Reds of recent times...
    I'm also with this, I do not see anything that he should be a big loss, but I do remember when he used to get dogged on here because he couldn't field or throw accurately! He has speed, but other than that?
    Let's make some noise!

We are already ahead.

Gonzalez > Lopez

Bray, Majik > Kearns
    Except Gonzalez didn't come over in the trade. True the trade opened up cash, but Lopez could have been dealt for a useful part and WK still could have gotten Gonzalez. That's like Dunn getting traded for Jaret Wright and then using the savings to sign a really good starter. Still could have got more for Dunn, but the net result is a push.

PS: I cannot wait for the board to get a whiff of Gonzo's OBP...you'll be able to turn that equation around by June.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 01-29-2007 at 08:30 AM.

For "The Trade" to work out...Majic needs to be a solid middle relief pitcher...not spectacular but average.

Bray needs to be a "GOOD" setup guy with the ability to come in and close.

The fact that Special K was ahead of the market on the off season insanity to bring more arms for Lopez who when he is focused can bat and has speed but cannot field the routine play to save his soul and Kearns who was not going to be anything special here because he "didn't get it" and didn't have the sense to "get it."

Same with Wags...

I still like "THE TRADE" at least at this point...we'll see how it works out.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Honestly, the trade failed to accomplish it's main purpose which was to solidify the pen and get the team to the playoffs,

For any hope of redemption both must become very solid relievers, Bray a very good setup man or closer and Majewski a quality middle reliever who eats a lot of innings.

I think you do have to consider money saved (and spent) due to freed up salary. While there's a theoretical ability for that money to have been spent anyways, the fact is that it wouldn't have been.

I'd say we need Bray to be a solid closer, Majewski to become a solid relief man, and for Thompson to become a major league something. Add in A-Gone and Stanton for their money and we did (possibly) fill a lot of holes. My bigger concern is that Kearns continues to improve over the next 2-3 years and turns in to an all-star.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

We are already ahead.

Gonzalez > Lopez

Bray, Majik > Kearns
    Any facts to back it up that opinion?

Not to rehash the old arguments, but making pronouncements that Player A is better than Player B is pointless unless you can back it up with some evidence.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?