Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UK Football Fan Suicide Watch Begins....NOW!

UK Football Fan Suicide Watch Begins....NOW!

Well, I guess that bad news really DOES come in threes if town cryer is named Teflon Mitch. Personally, this mitigates all of my happiness that was "The Mike Archer Exodus."

1) Raise ticket prices (check)
    2) Extend Brooks' Contract (check)
    3) Give Books a $ 250,000/Year Raise on New Contract (che...nope, make that one cash)

Dear Lord, please give me strength....

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16573491.htm

Posted on Mon, Jan. 29, 2007

UK increases ticket prices, expects complaints

By Jerry Tipton
    HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

Kentucky fans must pay higher ticket prices in each of the next three football seasons, and some basketball fans will have to pay a one-time higher price for tickets, plus a higher fee to keep so-called “priority” seats.

The University of Kentucky Athletics Association board of directors was set to approve those cost increases Monday. The price increases, which will go into effect beginning with the 2007 football season, marked the first increases since 2003.

Likening the move to a tax increase, Director of Athletics Mitch Barnhart acknowledged that the increases won’t be popular, but he said they were necessary to help UK build a broad-based sports program in the ultracompetitive Southeastern Conference.

“When the governor raises taxes, those aren’t popular days,” Barnhart said. “When we raise ticket prices, these probably aren’t popular days. But I hope, in total, when people look at it and they look at where we are with respect to the rest of the league … I hope they’ll look back and say there is value.”

In its presentation to the athletics board, UK officials noted that Kentucky’s prices remain well within the range charged by similar programs including Duke, North Carolina, Indiana and Kansas.

The cost increases are meant to give fans incentive to buy season tickets because those ticket prices are increasing at a slower rate than single-ticket prices.

Barnhart said he anticipated a 5 percent increase in revenue from the price increases. The money will go toward paying rising tuition rates, increased travel costs and higher coaching salaries, he said.

Barnhart noted how the increases in 2003 paid off in team performance. He cited first-ever SEC championships in baseball, men’s golf and women’s tennis.

He also said Kentucky does not want to lead the league in money raised. For example, the $100 increase in the required donation to the K Fund for the right to buy a “priority” seat ticket will not move UK beyond 10th among 12 SEC teams in such seat fund-raising, school officials said. The priority seats are those with better views.

There will not be an increase in the K Fund contribution for football “priority” seats because the university is trying to reward football fans for their loyalty and attendance over the years. Also, charges can be increased for basketball because demand for tickets is higher, according to athletic staff.

When asked about the UK football or basketball fan who did not wish to subsidize other teams, Barnhart said he had been ordered by UK president Lee Todd to create a rewarding experience for all Kentucky athletes.

“By law, we’re mandated to provide opportunities for women athletes,” Barnhart said, “but that’s the right thing to do. That might not feel good for everybody.”

Barnhart said all UK fans cheered the baseball team’s success last spring and golfer J.B. Holmes’ triumphs.

“Is it worth it? I’m sure some will say no,” Barnhart said. “All I can say is we’ll continue providing broad-based opportunities for excellence.”

As for fan complaints about the price increases, Barnhart said, “At least we got it out there. Everybody can complain appropriately and go from there.”

The success of the 2006 football team did not affect the decision to raise prices, Barnhart said. Consideration of raising prices is an ongoing concern, he said, and began in earnest last summer.

“If we don’t do certain things and you don’t have the money, then something else may have to go,” he said. “Then you have to drop things, and that’s not a position you want to be in.”

Barnhart acknowledged that the price increases will come at a time when some UK fans grumble about men’s basketball. The school’s marquee program finds itself in the unusual position of being out of the national top 25 and not dominant in the SEC.

“All I can say is we want the same thing everybody else wants,” Barnhart said. “There’s not one person who comes to work who doesn’t want the same thing as the fans. …

“We understand the mantle and what’s expected and we’re going to work hard to get there. Their desires and expectations are warranted.”

Barnhart strongly denied that the ticket increases will put more pressure on coaches, particularly Rich Brooks in football and Tubby Smith in basketball, to win.

It was “a ridiculous deal to say there’s more pressure now,” Barnhart said. “It’s irrelevant. It’s just pressure. … There’s no more pressure on them than what they put on themselves.”

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16573941.htm

Posted on Mon, Jan. 29, 2007

Brooks gets $1 million annually in 4-year deal

By Chip Cosby
    HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

The University of Kentucky athletics board unanimously approved a contract extension for football coach Rich Brooks Monday.

Brooks’ new contract is a four-year deal worth $1 million annually that gives UK an option for a fifth year. Brooks had been in the final year of a five-year contract that paid him an annual salary of $725,000.

After struggling to a 9-25 mark during his first three years at Kentucky, Brooks engineered a turnaround in 2006. UK finished an 8-5 campaign with a Music City Bowl win over Clemson, the program’s first bowl win and first season of at least eight victories since 1984.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 01-29-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UK Football Fan Suicide Watch Begins....NOW!

Brooks was given a raise, but I believe his salary still ranks near the bottom among SEC coaches whose salaries are known.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Brooks was given a raise, but I believe his salary still ranks near the bottom among SEC coaches whose salaries are known.
    As well it should be. That is, until he can prove that last year was not an aberration.

I have no problem with his base salary being $ 1,000,000 because that is what the market dictates for a head coach in the SEC. However, I DO have a problem with the fact that his term was extended for four remaining years.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    As well it should be. That is, until he can prove that last year was not an aberration.

I have no problem with his base salary being $ 1,000,000 because that is what the market dictates for a head coach in the SEC. However, I DO have a problem with the fact that his term was extended for four remaining years.
    a four year contract will help recruiting. Plus, he's old enough, he's not going anywhere.

Kentucky football is the sleeping giant in SEC football. Now if only they could be moved West.

BTW - in 2001, I paid $80 for two tickets to an Ohio State Football game. (I get a set every year) Now I pay $135.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    a four year contract will help recruiting. Plus, he's old enough, he's not going anywhere.

Kentucky football is the sleeping giant in SEC football. Now if only they could be moved West.

BTW - in 2001, I paid $80 for two tickets to an Ohio State Football game. (I get a set every year) Now I pay $135.
    Nothing helps recruiting like winning.

You said Brooks "wasn't going anywhere"...that was exactly my point. Why then, does Mitch extend him for such a long period of time? Brooks had a nice year, but now is not the time to rest on his laurels as a coach. UK will have a new defensive scheme next year that will be anchored by someone who Brooks has been fiercely loyal to over the last several years.

If the defense does not get better, I do not look for Brooks to force a change within his coaching ranks. Therefore, I would have preferred to have given him the extra cash--but not the extra years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Nothing helps recruiting like winning.

You said Brooks "wasn't going anywhere"...that was exactly my point. Why then, does Mitch extend him for such a long period of time? Brooks had a nice year, but now is not the time to rest on his laurels as a coach. UK will have a new defensive scheme next year that will be anchored by someone who Brooks has been fiercely loyal to over the last several years.

If the defense does not get better, I do not look for Brooks to force a change within his coaching ranks. Therefore, I would have preferred to have given him the extra cash--but not the extra years.
    Too bad Hal Mumme had issues.

If that guy stayed clean, UK football would have been fun to watch.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

UK could be VERY good next year. They have a key players returning and their performance in 2006 will definitely help recruiting. Prior to this past year, I would have been OK with Kentucky looking for a new coach, but now I believe Brooks deserves a few more years to see what he can do.

Even if they have talent next year, how are they going to fare against this schedule?

Sept. 1 EKU
    Sept. 8 at Temple
    Sept. 15 Louisville (6)
    Sept. 22 Florida Atlantic
    Sept. 29 at Arkansas (15)
    Oct. 6 at South Carolina
    Oct. 13 LSU (3)
    Oct. 20 Florida (1)
    Oct. 27 Mississippi State
    Nov. 10 at Vanderbilt
    Nov. 17 at Georgia (23)
    Nov. 24 Tennessee (25)

Final AP rankings in parentheses.

I would think that wins against EKU, Temple, Florida Atlantic, Mississippi State, and maybe Vanderbilt would be doable. But what about those other seven games? Who else are they going to beat? They may beat South Carolina, but they'll have to do it on the road. The teams that they might have a chance against at home (Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina) are road games, and they burn home games against teams that they have almost no chance of beating regardless of the location (Louisville, LSU, Florida, Tennessee).

I said back in the fall that I thought they'd go 4-8 or 5-7 in 2007. I'll back off a little and give them 6-6. Is that worthy of a four-year contract extension to a guy that had nowhere else to go? This contract extension is the very reason that I cringed when they beat Georgia last fall. I knew Barnhardt would use it as justification to take care of his ol' buddy.

Well, they beat Georgia last year and could have very well beaten Tennessee so that's why I'm on the optimistic side. Except for the LSU game, Kentucky played pretty well against their opponents so I'm going to guess that they'll go 8-4 or 9-3. (Man...that's freaky to even think about after all these years.) I believe they can beat GA again and it might finally be their time to beat Tennessee.

But you could be right with your 6-6.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

There is no way he even wants to coach 4 more years. It's just to deceive the recruits. Joker Phillips will be the head coach after 2 more seasons.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Turn Off Ads?