Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds' Harang flies under the radar

Reds' Harang flies under the radar

Reds' Harang flies under the radar
    By Phil Rogers / McClatchy Newspapers

Quick now. Who led the National League in complete games last year?

We'll give you a hint. He was the same guy who led the NL in strikeouts. He had six complete games out of 35 starts during a season in which he went 16-11 with a 3.76 earned-run average.

Want another hint? This guy, who struck out 216 in 234 1/3 innings, pitches for Cincinnati. This would be a giveaway except that the guy we're talking about isn't the Reds' pitcher who got the most attention during last season -- and might not be the one who gets the most next season.

He didn't get one Cy Young Award vote and didn't even win the Johnny Vander Meer Award, which the Cincinnati chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America gives to the Reds' "most outstanding" pitcher.

The guy who led the NL in strikeouts and complete games, tying for the league lead in victories, was Aaron Harang, not the guy acquired from the Boston Red Sox during spring training, Bronson Arroyo. Arroyo got off to a fast start but wound up 14-11, going 11 consecutive starts in one stretch without a victory.

It doesn't sound like Harang is upset about the lack of recognition.

"Maybe I should grow my hair long and play the guitar," he said.

Harang, a 28-year-old right-hander who was drafted by Texas and passed through Oakland before coming to the Reds in a 2003 trade for Jose Guillen, might be a little mystified with Cincinnati's management, however. When general manager Wayne Krivsky set the club's arbitration figures, he somehow offered Harang the same $4.2 million that Kyle Lohse had signed for a day before the figures were exchanged.

Lohse, whom Minnesota discarded last season, is a candidate for the fourth starter's job, not the Opening Day start, after going 3-5 with a 4.50 ERA in 11 starts with the Reds. But like Arroyo, he has had a higher profile career to this point than the unsung Harang, who quietly goes about his business in an admirable way.

With the start of spring training around the corner, here are a few players worth watching closer:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/0...senotes28.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds' Harang flies under the radar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Is that a dig?

Love our 1-2, I really do. Besides being, you know, good, they're quite entertaining in a totally unstudied way. If the Reds were in any way a high-profile team, the quiet, workhorse new father would surely be pitted against the freewheeling rock star in some television fluff piece or another. Man, baseball is ridiculous.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I'm hoping the Reds can lock up Harang long-term. If they do, the next day I will be getting myself a #39 home jersey.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Harang fires a bullet at Zito!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Is it Zito or Arroyo? More likely at the writers and fans who ignored what he was doinglast year because of Arroyo.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Is it Zito or Arroyo? More likely at the writers and fans who ignored what he was doinglast year because of Arroyo.
    Oh good point. Didn't think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

You'd think the Reds would go ahead and lock him up before people start wising up

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    You'd think the Reds would go ahead and lock him up before people start wising up
    Unfortunately it is not entirely up to the Reds. If it were, I'm sure they would have signed him to a nice LTC by now. Certainly Harang and his agent see what even marginal starting pitchers are getting on the free-agent market.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Unfortunately it is not entirely up to the Reds. If it were, I'm sure they would have signed him to a nice LTC by now. Certainly Harang and his agent see what even marginal starting pitchers are getting on the free-agent market.
    Yeah, I'm just trying to hope against hope that the Reds will put up some money and avoid that from happening. But very true, in this market, I'd be afraid to see what it's gonna take.

When you look at Aaron's season laid out like that, it's a travesty that he got no CYA votes, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

Harang, a 28-year-old right-hander who was drafted by Texas and passed through Oakland before coming to the Reds in a 2003 trade for Jose Guillen, might be a little mystified with Cincinnati's management, however. When general manager Wayne Krivsky set the club's arbitration figures, he somehow offered Harang the same $4.2 million that Kyle Lohse had signed for a day before the figures were exchanged.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/0...senotes28.html
    So this guy is a sportswriter. Shouldn't he at least know a little bit about the arbitration process? What Harang was offered had nothing to do with Lohse, it had to do with the number of years he has in elgibility--and then he is compared to those pitchers in that group. I'm sure Aaron wasn't mystified because his agent explained the process to him.
    Where we gonna go?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm hoping the fact that Harang seems to be the type of guy who doesn't mind flying under the radar and staying low-key will help influence him to stay in a smaller Cinci market.

The only thing is, that even here in Cincinnati he fly's under the radar. I really don't mind that the national media ignore him, but the fans here in Cincinnati ignore him also. Or at least don't show him the love that other more flamboyant players get (i.e. Arroyo, Dunn).

Personally I think Harang is one of the keys to the Reds' future. If they can lock him up and then get two other decent starters (Arroyo, Bailey?) I think the future will be very bright for the Reds. Offense can be had through free agency and trades, but starting pitching is the hardest thing to come by in MLB. If you have a proven commodity in the area that is hardest to fill, why wouldn't you lock them up long term?

Harang and Arroyo should show that you can pitch well in GAB, despite what everyone says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?