Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 400

Thread: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    272

    Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    I'm sure this will get all the Marty haters riled up:

    http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?m...15&format=html

    What about outfielder Adam Dunn (40 home runs, 92 runs-batted in in 2006)? Could he be the key?

    Brennaman: "I am pretty close to giving up on Adam Dunn. I don't know if he is capable of changing his approach to the plate, based on what the count is, and can be happy with shortening his swing, hitting the ball the other way and showing a measure of discipline. I am at the point where I don't know if it can happen. He is a guy who drove in five runs in the month of September last year and didn't even get to 100 runs batted-in.

    "People constantly ask if the club is trying to trade him. I think this team waited one year too long to try and trade him. If they had traded him after 2005, they would have got something good. I don't think there was a team in baseball that had any interest in him after last year.

    "He is going to make $10 million this year. I get tired of people saying he hits 40 home runs and drives in 100 runs. Wonderful. This is a guy who should hit 50 plus home runs and should drive in 130 runs or more every single year. And he can't do it because he leads the world in strikeouts. I think he was overweight last year. He walks to his position. He walks off the field. You see no energy whatsoever and that disappoints the heck out of me."

  2. #2
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,310

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    This is a guy who should hit 50 plus home runs and should drive in 130 runs or more every single year.
    Code:
    HOMERUNS                      YEAR     HR       RBI    
    1    Barry Bonds              2001       73      137   
    2    Mark McGwire             1998       70      147   
    3    Sammy Sosa               1998       66      158   
    4    Mark McGwire             1999       65      147   
    5    Sammy Sosa               2001       64      160   
    6    Sammy Sosa               1999       63      141   
    7    Roger Maris              1961       61      142   
    8    Babe Ruth                1927       60      164   
    9    Babe Ruth                1921       59      171   
    T10  Jimmie Foxx              1932       58      169   
    T10  Ryan Howard              2006       58      149   
    T10  Hank Greenberg           1938       58      146   
    T13  Alex Rodriguez           2002       57      142   
    T13  Luis Gonzalez            2001       57      142   
    T15  Ken Griffey Jr.          1998       56      146   
    T15  Ken Griffey Jr.          1997       56      147   
    T15  Hack Wilson              1930       56      191   
    T18  Babe Ruth                1928       54      142   
    T18  David Ortiz              2006       54      137   
    T18  Babe Ruth                1920       54      137   
    T21  George Foster            1977       52      149   
    T21  Alex Rodriguez           2001       52      135   
    T21  Mickey Mantle            1956       52      130   
    T24  Johnny Mize              1947       51      138   
    T24  Cecil Fielder            1990       51      132   
    T26  Sammy Sosa               2000       50      138   
    T26  Jimmie Foxx              1938       50      175 
    
    NATIONAL LEAGUE
    
    HOMERUNS                      YEAR     HR       RBI    
    1    Barry Bonds              2001       73      137   
    2    Mark McGwire             1998       70      147   
    3    Sammy Sosa               1998       66      158   
    4    Mark McGwire             1999       65      147   
    5    Sammy Sosa               2001       64      160   
    6    Sammy Sosa               1999       63      141   
    7    Ryan Howard              2006       58      149   
    8    Luis Gonzalez            2001       57      142   
    9    Hack Wilson              1930       56      191   
    10   George Foster            1977       52      149   
    11   Johnny Mize              1947       51      138   
    12   Sammy Sosa               2000       50      138  
    
    Reds who have done it
    
    
    HOMERUNS                      YEAR     HR       RBI    
    1    George Foster            1977       52      149

  3. #3
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,989

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    And...any hope of Marty being the least bit professional and even-handed from the booth calling the games when Dunn is up in 2007 is already gone. So much for wishing for a change from the past from him...

    I missed the memo: since when are announcers required to "believe in" or state that they are close to "giving up on" players?

    Mind-boggling. Every time I get the least bit excited for the spring, something in here crushes it. Now I know that first broadcast from Florida (a great day every March) will be sullied from the get-go with an early Marty broadside against a player he is "pretty close to giving up" on. Wonderful.

  4. #4
    REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    771

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    And...any hope of Marty being the least bit professional and even-handed from the booth calling the games when Dunn is up in 2007 is already gone. So much for wishing for a change from the past from him...

    I missed the memo: since when are announcers required to "believe in" or state that they are close to "giving up on" players?

    Mind-boggling. Every time I get the least bit excited for the spring, something in here crushes it. Now I know that first broadcast from Florida (a great day every March) will be sullied from the get-go with an early Marty broadside against a player he is "pretty close to giving up" on. Wonderful.
    Atleast he's got the sack to say what a lot of people are thinking.

  5. #5
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Atleast he's got the sack to say what a lot of people are thinking.
    Then a lot of people are expecting WAY too much from Adam Dunn...or anyone for that matter. Expecting 50/130 from any player year in and year out is ludicrous.

  6. #6
    REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    771

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Then a lot of people are expecting WAY too much from Adam Dunn...or anyone for that matter. Expecting 50/130 from any player year in and year out is ludicrous.
    Is the 50/130 comment the only thing you got from this. Read the rest of it.

  7. #7
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Is the 50/130 comment the only thing you got from this. Read the rest of it.
    I did. He thinks Adam is lazy and strikes out too much. We've heard it from Marty many, many times before.

  8. #8
    Roster glue
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    521

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Atleast he's got the sack to say what a lot of people are thinking.
    That is true, and by and large he is revered in the community for his abrasive style as well as his ability to make goosebumps raise on your skin calling a game. But, in the offseason, a little bit of research before setting the bar of public opinion on Mr. Dunn, please.

  9. #9
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,989

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Atleast he's got the sack to say what a lot of people are thinking.
    Sack? Sack?

    Ill-informed opinions with no reference to the past or curiosity about how achieveable the imaginary standard Brenneman has set for Dunn is sack? I think other words are in order, like malicious. Or egomaniacal.

    TRF has it dead right, and it becomes more and more apparent with the passage of time and the continued unrelenting bitterness from Brennamen that TRF is right.

    And, as always, I feel compelled to note when discussing the angry bitter old man that Brennamen has become that I grew up listening to him and loving his game calls. I went to Cooperstown in 2000 not to see Doggie inducted, but to see Marty inducted.

    But he lost his way some years ago, and bought into the notion that he was bigger than the franchise, and, in some ways, the game itself. It still saddens me. That said, when he sets his mind to it, he remains a game-caller without too many peers. Too often though, he doesn't devote the time to do it right, instead indulging in feeding his particular fetish of the moment. For too many years, the current fetish has been Dunn-bashing from him. Before that it was Jr. bashing. And it does matter, because, ill-informed that his opinion is, when he states it like he does, too many sheeple bleat it back. At GABP, on talk radio, and in forums like this one.

    Ridiculous. And sad. As ever.

  10. #10
    Roster glue
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    521

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    The Reds would have to "give up" on a lot of guys if 50/130 was the measuring stick.

    10 HR and 38 RBI would be easily attained if he sprinted out to his position? I think the two are mutually exclusive.

  11. #11
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,728

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    The Reds would have to "give up" on a lot of guys if 50/130 was the measuring stick.

    10 HR and 38 RBI would be easily attained if he sprinted out to his position? I think the two are mutually exclusive.
    I think that not hustling to his position and to a greater degree being overweight doesnt make Dunn look very professional. Would dropping 20 pounds and hustling to his position get him to 50/130 ?? Maybe or maybe not, but I think being in top shape and hustling on the field would ultimately enhance his performance on the field.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  12. #12
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think that not hustling to his position and to a greater degree being overweight doesnt make Dunn look very professional. Would dropping 20 pounds and hustling to his position get him to 50/130 ?? Maybe or maybe not, but I think being in top shape and hustling on the field would ultimately enhance his performance on the field.
    THAT I can totally agree with. At least act like you care.

    Howard is aggressive at the plate and looks for pitches to drive. If he goes down swinging he goes down swinging. Dunn, he's confused most of the time. No plan.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 01-30-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  13. #13
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    THAT I can totally agree with. At least act like you care.

    Howard is aggressive at the plate and looks for pitches to drive. If he goes down swinging he goes down swinging. Dunn, he's confused most of the time. No plan.
    Agree.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  14. #14
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,499

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    "This is a guy who should hit 50 plus home runs and should drive in 130 runs or more every single year."

    And when he's not smashing every single pitch he sees at least 750 feet, he needs to be working on cures for cancer, global warming and the national debt, as well as unlocking the secrets to cold fusion and time travel.

  15. #15
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,123

    Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

    And when he's not smashing every single pitch he sees at least 750 feet, he needs to be working on cures for cancer, global warming and the national debt, as well as unlocking the secrets to cold fusion and time travel.
    That's what Jack Bauer and Puffy do on days off.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25