Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Howard OPS'd 1.084 last year to Dunn's 0.893.

Strikeouts is the only category they have in common.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd trade Marty to the Braves for Skip Carrey in a second. Skip is all about chicks and barbeque.

mmmmmmm....barbeque.

Not pulling punches is one thing. But when THE VOICE OF THE REDS, the guy who kids know just by hearing him speak, a man considered to be an expert in the game by the casual fan says he gives up on one of the better offensive players the Reds have had in a decade, then it's time management sat Marty down. He negatively impacts the fans with his complete lack of understanding what makes a player great, or even good. He talks about Dunn accomplishing something woy pointed out has only been done 27 times, 12 in the National League. He has no historical knowledge of the game when he makes silly assertions like that, and he raises arguments that casual fans parrot that have no basis in reality.

That said he does call a good walk-off HR.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Roster glue

There are extremely few players in MLB history with Dunn's body type; fewer still that played the outfield for a lengthy period of time. Just because the guy doesn't look very graceful tracking fly balls is no reason to take shots at him about his weight, in my opinion.

Could Dunn be better? Maybe. Was his value higher after 2005 than it is today? I do not think there is any doubt. It's possible that it is of long-term benefit for him to shed some weight (injury-wise), but I think Dunn's burgeoning repuatation as a lazy, uncaring slob is grossly overstated by many in the print and radio media, and it is not fair to him.

He is a valuable player. I wish more folks held the majority opinion of the community on Redszone and celebrated his achievements and what he does well, rather than bemoaning his faults and the holes in his game. I hope he DOES hit 50 HRs, but even if that happens, the RBI total will likely not be high enough for some people.

Yeah, Dunn's terrible because he can't do every single year what has been done exactly 26 times in the history of baseball. 50/130 every year? Give me a freakin' break.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    And...any hope of Marty being the least bit professional and even-handed from the booth calling the games when Dunn is up in 2007 is already gone. So much for wishing for a change from the past from him...

I missed the memo: since when are announcers required to "believe in" or state that they are close to "giving up on" players?

Mind-boggling. Every time I get the least bit excited for the spring, something in here crushes it. Now I know that first broadcast from Florida (a great day every March) will be sullied from the get-go with an early Marty broadside against a player he is "pretty close to giving up" on. Wonderful.
    Atleast he's got the sack to say what a lot of people are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post

Thank you.

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    "This is a guy who should hit 50 plus home runs and should drive in 130 runs or more every single year."

And when he's not smashing every single pitch he sees at least 750 feet, he needs to be working on cures for cancer, global warming and the national debt, as well as unlocking the secrets to cold fusion and time travel.
    You just received 50 imaginary rep points from me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Then a lot of people are expecting WAY too much from Adam Dunn...or anyone for that matter. Expecting 50/130 from any player year in and year out is ludicrous.

Roster glue

That is true, and by and large he is revered in the community for his abrasive style as well as his ability to make goosebumps raise on your skin calling a game. But, in the offseason, a little bit of research before setting the bar of public opinion on Mr. Dunn, please.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Then a lot of people are expecting WAY too much from Adam Dunn...or anyone for that matter. Expecting 50/130 from any player year in and year out is ludicrous.
    Is the 50/130 comment the only thing you got from this. Read the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post

I think the point he was trying to make is that strikeouts have little effect on Dunn or Howard's overall performance. Railing away on them is a pointless exercise.

Is the 50/130 comment the only thing you got from this. Read the rest of it.
    I did. He thinks Adam is lazy and strikes out too much. We've heard it from Marty many, many times before.

The strikeouts actually don't bother me. Perennial home run hitters typically strikeout more and hit for less of an average. It'd be nice to see Dunn somehow raise his batting average 10-20 points, but it's nothing worth losing sleep over.

The bigger issue to me is his defense. This is an area that should get progressively better and it seems to stay either the same or there is some sort of regression for Dunn. Why this is, I don't know. It's definitely disappointing. I'm not giving up like Marty, but I'd really like to see this improve and I think it's within his reach to improve as well.

Sack? Sack?

Ill-informed opinions with no reference to the past or curiosity about how achieveable the imaginary standard Brenneman has set for Dunn is sack? I think other words are in order, like malicious. Or egomaniacal.

TRF has it dead right, and it becomes more and more apparent with the passage of time and the continued unrelenting bitterness from Brennamen that TRF is right.

And, as always, I feel compelled to note when discussing the angry bitter old man that Brennamen has become that I grew up listening to him and loving his game calls. I went to Cooperstown in 2000 not to see Doggie inducted, but to see Marty inducted.

But he lost his way some years ago, and bought into the notion that he was bigger than the franchise, and, in some ways, the game itself. It still saddens me. That said, when he sets his mind to it, he remains a game-caller without too many peers. Too often though, he doesn't devote the time to do it right, instead indulging in feeding his particular fetish of the moment. For too many years, the current fetish has been Dunn-bashing from him. Before that it was Jr. bashing. And it does matter, because, ill-informed that his opinion is, when he states it like he does, too many sheeple bleat it back. At GABP, on talk radio, and in forums like this one.

Ridiculous. And sad. As ever.

Turn Off Ads?