Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Adam Dunn's OPS in 2006:

RISP: .923
    Bases Empty: .862

Obviously you have not learned the lesson that BARISP is the most important stat in baseball.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Excuses, excuses. True RBI is a team dependent stat...but it's also about putting the ball in play and getting hits when those runners are in scoring position. Hitting .221 in those opportunities isn't going to help those RBI totals, no matter what the team around you is doing.

And I know people are going to say that there is no such thing as clutch or whatever...but facts are facts. Pujols had less chances than Dunn with RISP last season and had 45 more RBI. I'm not saying Dunn has to be Pujols, but that tells you something.
    No question Dunn slumped hard in the second half of 2006. No question at all. Well, really it was just August and September as July was a monstrous month for him.

So he started slumping when a ton of the team offense started playing games in a different city. When his best friend was traded. When other teams started to see that he and MAYBE Aurilia were the only threats offensively.

Slumps happen. Anyone wanna tell me the last time Marty said something like "Adam Dunn has been on fire for the last two months. He has carried this offense."

Because in June and July, he did just that.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

Obviously you have not learned the lesson that BARISP is the most important stat in baseball.
    How did I know some of us were going to get all snippy about my post?

The was an insinuation that was made regarding Dunn's RBI totals and how that is primarily dependent on your team. I responded to it. Now let's all blow my comment out of proportion b/c it was a negative comment about Dunn.

True, Dunn's OPS was better with RISP than bases empty, but for the most part, walks don't knock in runs with RISP.

In fact, Dunn didn't walk with the bases loaded in 2006, so none of his 40 walks in 176 PAs actually knocked in a run.

So, IN THIS CONVERSATION, Dunn's OPS with RISP is bogus AS IT RELATES TO RBI since none of his walks knocked in a run. Pay attention to his BA with RISP, as this would be the stat mostly driving his RBI total for 2006.

Thanks.

So, IN THIS CONVERSATION, Dunn's OPS with RISP is bogus AS IT RELATES TO RBI since none of his walks knocked in a run. Pay attention to his BA with RISP, as this would be the stat mostly driving his RBI total for 2006.
    I didn't realize walks were the only component of OPS, I stand corrected.

Last edited by flyer85; 01-30-2007 at 04:55 PM.

True, Dunn's OPS was better with RISP than bases empty, but for the most part, walks don't knock in runs with RISP.
    Walks don't typically drive in runs but SLG certainly does.

SLG w/none on: .503
    SLG w/RISP: .529

Adam Dunn's overall line was better with RISP than with none one in 2006. That's probably hard for some to believe but it's a fact.

Double post. See below.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 01-30-2007 at 04:57 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I didn't realize walks were the only component of OPS, I stand corrected.
    Again, the snippiness.

Walks made up a large component of his OPS in those instances. Therefore, his OPS would look like he should have driven in more runs in those instances. Not really the case since his BA was putrid.

So you're suggesting that Dunn should have swung at more pitches outside of the strike zone rather than take a walk when there were RISP? That should help him cut down his K's.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

[QUOTE=Red Leader;1234785][QUOTE=edabbs44;1234780]

So you're suggesting that Dunn should have swung at more pitches outside of the strike zone rather than take a walk when there were RISP? That should help him cut down his K's.
    Here we go again...

Nowhere, in any post I have ever made, was this stated.

Someone spoke of the fact that Dunn's RBI totals were team dependent.

I said that maybe his RBI totals would be better if he hit over .221 with RISP.

Nice try at munipulating my post though.

Walks made up a large component of his OPS in those instances.
    40 out of 176 is a large component. Either I just don't get this new math or I misunderstand the meaing of "large".

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Walks don't typically drive in runs but SLG certainly does.

SLG w/none on: .503
    SLG w/RISP: .529

Adam Dunn's overall line was better with RISP than with none one in 2006. That's probably hard for some to believe but it's a fact.
    SLG doesn't help as much as BA does. A runner is in scoring position b/c a single, for the most part, will get them home. A single or double, a lot of the time, work the same in these situations.

40 out of 176 is a large component. Either I just don't get this new math or I misunderstand the meaing of "large".
    Wow...I have no idea what you are trying to say. Re-read my posts and you'll probably see what I am gunning for here.

Brandon Phillips had the same number of RBI's in RISP situations as Adam in two more at-bats. Brandon hit .297 with RISP, Adam hit .221. How could they possibly end up with the same RBI total with such a large disparity in BA? Probably because Adam outslugged him .529 to .457.

Wow...I have no idea what you are trying to say. Re-read my posts and you'll probably see what I am gunning for here.
    I know exactly what you are "gunning for".

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Brandon Phillips had the same number of RBI's in RISP situations as Adam in two more at-bats. Brandon hit .297 with RISP, Adam hit .221. How could they possibly end up with the same RBI total with such a large disparity in BA? Probably because Adam outslugged him .529 to .457.
    Don't start bring objective data into this argument, it is only going to confuse the issue.

It is obviously a statistical anomaly that cannot be explained.

Turn Off Ads?