Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Morneau in 2006:

After 0-2: OPS = .715
    1-2: OPS = .751
    2-2: OPS = .909
    3-2: OPS = 1.081

Not bad.
    Travis Hafner was actually better than that (.789 after 0-2). Most players aren't quite that good. Here are a few more guys who were useless in 2006 after 0-2...

Derek Jeter - .502 OPS
    David Ortiz - .539
    Jason Bay - .543
    Manny Ramirez - .569
    Ryan Howard - .587

You should probably pull them for a pinch hitter if they go 0-2 in the ninth inning, too.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Travis Hafner was actually better than that (.789 after 0-2). Most players aren't quite that good. Here are a few more guys who were useless in 2006 after 0-2...

Derek Jeter - .502 OPS
    David Ortiz - .539
    Jason Bay - .543
    Manny Ramirez - .569
    Ryan Howard - .587

You should probably pull them for a pinch hitter if they go 0-2 in the ninth inning, too.
    At least these guys can get to a place they can make a difference:

Ortiz after 2-2: .812
    Jeter after 2-2: .809
    Manny after 2-2: .817
    Howard after 2-2: .859

By the way...I screwed up Dunn's OPS after the count reaches 2-2 for his career. It is .663.

Bay is the only one of those guys who is worse. The whole point is that once that count reaches 0-2, he is done. Even if he starts the AB with an 0-1 count, his line for his career is .199/.285/.406.

Can someone explain that? He is pretty much shot when the first pitch is a strike.

For comparison, when the 1st pitch is a ball, he is .265/.461/.566 in those ABs. What could be the reason? I totally understand 0-2 counts. The pitcher is in complete control. But 0-1 and he performs that poorly? Why should that 1st pitch make such a difference in Dunn's ABs? .691 OPS (0-1 count) vs 1.027 OPS (1-0 count).

Since you brought up those names, let's check those guys after an 0-1 count in 2006.

Howard = .956 OPS
    Jeter = .893
    Bay = .795
    Papi = .786
    Manny = .950

Dunn = .691.

So what could cause this? Does anyone know of any sites which talks about batters vs certain pitches (i.e. fastballs, curves, etc.?) Since pitchers might throw more off speed and breaking stuff to Dunn when they are ahead and more fastballs when they are behind, is he more of a dead fastball hitter? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Does O'Neill's contract with the Yankees extend beyond broadcasting?
    Not as far as I know. He does analysis for the YES network but nothing on the baseball side. I believe he spends most of his non-working time in Cincinnati.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think he was overweight last year. He walks to his position. He walks off the field. You see no energy whatsoever and that disappoints the heck out of me."
    I realize that Marty goes to a whole lot more games than I do (duh). That said, I have NEVER seen Adam Dunn walk to or from his position in the outfield.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I realize that Marty goes to a whole lot more games than I do (duh). That said, I have NEVER seen Adam Dunn walk to or from his position in the outfield.
    He walks all the time to his position. I watch him and Griffey and they both walk almost every single time.

I couldn't care less though. I think that is being more than a little picky from Marty.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Someone needs to text me on my cell phone when one of these 20 page Marty/Dunn threads happen so I can get on line and say snarky things about Puffy.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He walks all the time to his position. I watch him and Griffey and they both walk almost every single time.

I couldn't care less though. I think that is being more than a little picky from Marty.
    I'd rather see players run to their positions and run out every ball they hit, but Griffey has never done that--so what, because he is a Hall of Famer, and I'd rather have Griffey is his prime (which unfortunately was spent in Seattle) than a guy who always hustles but isn't all that good a player. Mind you, my preference would be for a Ken Griffey Junior-in his prime-who hustles like Pete Rose.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Not sure if it was my post you were refering to, but I made some comment many pages back about Marty being around the BRM in his formative years.

I agree with your well written post that being around all of that unbridled tallent, espcially in his 30's when frankly the lightbulbs about understanding life are just barely starting to go off (sorry 20-somethings), colors his thinking very much now.

As does his age AND the era in which he was raised AND having the quality of baseball go steadly down since the 70's AND having a heatlhy ego that has been stoked low these many years.
    If at age 16 your first car is a Ferrari or Porsche or Corvette, you probably will not be all thrilled if later on all you get to drive are four cylinder econoboxes.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If at age 16 your first car is a Ferrari or Porsche or Corvette, you probably will not be all thrilled if later on all you get to drive are four cylinder econoboxes.
    Unfortunately the economics of the game have changed to a degree where you will never see a team with the talent of the BRM again. The BRM was one of the greatest assemblies of talent in its prime in the history of baseball. With free agency, arbitration, and the disproportional growth of local revenues, there's no way you could hold a team like that together without being the NY Yankees.

To further your analogy, it can be disappointing to go from a Ferrari to a four cylinder economy car, but if they no longer make that Ferrari, maybe it's time to move on and look at the benefits of your new car.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I'd rather see players run to their positions and run out every ball they hit, but Griffey has never done that--so what, because he is a Hall of Famer, and I'd rather have Griffey is his prime (which unfortunately was spent in Seattle) than a guy who always hustles but isn't all that good a player. Mind you, my preference would be for a Ken Griffey Junior-in his prime-who hustles like Pete Rose.
    I think part of he reason Jr doesn't run out every ball he hits is because he's risking a torn hammy at any moment. Sad as this sounds, I have no problem if he doesn't run out a grounder to the 2nd baseman in the 1st inning. Game on the line? Run it out. 2 out, nobody on in the 1st? Take your time.

Turn Off Ads?