Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think the point he was trying to make is that strikeouts have little effect on Dunn or Howard's overall performance. Railing away on them is a pointless exercise.
    Yep...exactly BRM. Hey, I think Howard's better, but I think the argument of the strikeouts is overblown.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don't forget...Marty is taking about Dunn's potential. Dunn is in the vicinity of 40-100 each year. It is Marty's opinion that he has the potential to go 50-130 each year. Maybe there is a little exaggeration going on, but what's wrong with thinking that he should be in that vicinity?

If it's true that Dunn doesn't really put much effort into his off-season conditioning and training, who's to say that he couldn't add 10 HRs to his yearly stats?

The fact of the matter is that Dunn appeared to be on his way to those levels after the 2004 season. Usually you are entering your prime at his current age. He is headed in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Atleast he's got the sack to say what a lot of people are thinking.
    Having sack is not the same as being stupid with an open mic.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Howard OPS'd 1.084 last year to Dunn's 0.893.

Strikeouts is the only category they have in common.
    Howard MIGHT be better than Dunn. He's had one monster phenomenal season under his belt, and what amounts to just over half a season of very very good.

And he might do it again next year. Or he might get pitched around, moved up and down the lineup, never getting comfortable, and have no protection in the lineup because he is all of a sudden hitting 6th.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Marty did get one thing right. The days of Dunn on the cheap are over and that lessens trade value. Other than that he just reflects the institutional bias that a K is much worse than any other out. What bothers me most about him is his fallacious appeal to authority based upon being a long time broadcaster(as McCoy does with his job a writer).

And BTW, Marty is the definition of a curmudgeon.
    Last edited by flyer85; 01-30-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The strikeouts actually don't bother me. Perennial home run hitters typically strikeout more and hit for less of an average. It'd be nice to see Dunn somehow raise his batting average 10-20 points, but it's nothing worth losing sleep over.

The bigger issue to me is his defense. This is an area that should get progressively better and it seems to stay either the same or there is some sort of regression for Dunn. Why this is, I don't know. It's definitely disappointing. I'm not giving up like Marty, but I'd really like to see this improve and I think it's within his reach to improve as well.
    Excellent post. Marty's got a point on the two-strike approach too, but his baby with the bathwater attitude turns any insight he might have into a comedy act.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I've followed Dunn since his 'A ball' days. I felt then, and I still feel, that AD should be, and could be, a .275-.280 hitter. With that increased BA should/could come increased HR's and RBI. Cut twenty or thirty K's out of his season and a lot of nice things happen when he puts the ball in play.

Having said all of that I'm not of the Marty mind. I want this guy on my team! I've never once advocated trading Dunn nor do I want to now. If he never does any better than what he did last season he's still a very big straw stirring the drink. There are other areas that the Reds can improve to boost their standings.

Personally, I'd still rather see him at 1st base. Then 'running' doesn't become a problem.

Rem

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think that not hustling to his position and to a greater degree being overweight doesnt make Dunn look very professional. Would dropping 20 pounds and hustling to his position get him to 50/130 ?? Maybe or maybe not, but I think being in top shape and hustling on the field would ultimately enhance his performance on the field.
    THAT I can totally agree with. At least act like you care.

Howard is aggressive at the plate and looks for pitches to drive. If he goes down swinging he goes down swinging. Dunn, he's confused most of the time. No plan.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 01-30-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I think the kind of hitter Dunn is now is what he's going to be. It seems that any tinkering with his approach gets him off-kilter. So, like it or not, what you see is what you get.

I think defense and conditioning are 2 areas he could improve in. He is a sub-par LF and I don't think he's ever going to get better. 1B is where he should be.

And I think conditioning could help his endurance. He has the heart of a warrior and wants to play every day. But I think his large frame just wears him out. Either hit the gym a little harder or Narron needs to give him days off. I think him getting worn out contributed to his epic slump at the end of 2006.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Todd Coffey runs to the mound every time he's called upon. It didn't make him a better pitcher than Shoeneweiss or Cormier or Shackelford. It just meant he got to the mound quicker than they did.

Dunn has the potential to hit 50/130 every year if the lineup we put out their this year can stay healthy. If the meat of the lineup Dunn, Edwin, and JR can stay healthy enough for atleast 130 games their is a good chance that Dunn can reach these lofty numbers. Dunn needs some protection, after the trade and JR's injury pitchers had their way with him because nobody had his back.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Todd Coffey runs to the mound every time he's called upon. It didn't make him a better pitcher than Shoeneweiss or Cormier or Shackelford. It just meant he got to the mound quicker than they did.
    If Dunn worked out, lost some weight, hustled on the field and produced the same numbers, I'd still be happier for it.

Cincinnati has always been a town that appreciates hustle over talent. At least, that's the Reds team I grew up enjoying.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    If Dunn worked out, lost some weight, hustled on the field and produced the same numbers, I'd still be happier for it.

Cincinnati has always been a town that appreciates hustle over talent. At least, that's the Reds team I grew up enjoying.
    I posted a thread in the minor league forums a week or two ago about Jay Bruce. It was the Dayton Dragon's Locker room show where they spoke to Jay Bruce via telephone. Bruce said that in the offseason he has worked out with Adam Dunn. He said that they've worked out (then) the past seven weeks and that Adam Dunn is simply a monster in the weight room. Bruce, I believe is around 6'3" 215-220. He's no small kid. He said that Adam Dunn simply has "natural" strength. He said that Dunn wouldn't even have to try and he could outlift most people. Anway, Bruce said that they have been working out together the past 7 weeks, so Adam has been working out and lifting weights. Just thought I'd let everyone know that if they didn't read that thread. It's not like Adam sits around and eats brats all day and watches TV.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I couldn't care less if Dunn runs off the field or not and, if pushed, I think that Marty would agree that it might not directly affect his overall performance. But anyone that says that Dunn is not overweight, and that being overweight isn't affecting his on-field performance, is not being interllectually honest, in my opinion. Same goes with Marty's comments about Dunn's plate discipline behind in the count; I don't see how anyone can challenege Marty on that statement.

Much has been made in this thread of Marty's 50/130 comment. While granting that it is historically a difficult achievement, I absolutely believe that improved plate discipline and improved conditioning could narrow the (now significant) gap between Dunn and Howard and put Dunn in the 50/130 range Marty discusses.

People can say that someone in Marty's shouldn't make such comments. But there's a lot of truth in what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think the kind of hitter Dunn is now is what he's going to be. It seems that any tinkering with his approach gets him off-kilter. So, like it or not, what you see is what you get.

But I think his large frame just wears him out. Either hit the gym a little harder or Narron needs to give him days off. I think him getting worn out contributed to his epic slump at the end of 2006.
    The "kind" of hitter is clear. But the question is whether Dunn is the .956 OPS guy from 2004 or the .855 OPS guy from 2006.

To me, the .956 OPS guy is a force who is worth the strikeouts and defensive shortcomings. However, the .855 OPS guy may not be.

I think conditioning can help. I also wonder sometimes if Dunn's large frame simply makes it harder to keep his balance and hit the ball consistently. Whatever, in 2007 he needs to get back up to the .900 plus OPS level, which I sincerely hope he does.

RBI is a team dependent stat that requires someone actually be on base for you to get the gaudier numbers. It also helps when you aren't hitting 6th and getting a BB because the pitcher would rather face Valentin or LaRue or Castro god forbid. Why anyone would complain (Marty) bacause Adam Dunn is only averaging 42 HR's a season is beyond me.

Turn Off Ads?