Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The "kind" of hitter is clear. But the question is whether Dunn is the .956 OPS guy from 2004 or the .855 OPS guy from 2006.

To me, the .956 OPS guy is a force who is worth the strikeouts and defensive shortcomings. However, the .855 OPS guy may not be.

I think conditioning can help. I also wonder sometimes if Dunn's large frame simply makes it harder to keep his balance and hit the ball consistently. Whatever, in 2007 he needs to get back up to the .900 plus OPS level, which I sincerely hope he does.
    I wonder if his drop in numbers at the end of 2006 had anything at all to do with the fact that the offense had been completely dismantled the previous 4 months (WMP, Kearns, Lopez, Jr. injured again.)

just a thought that perhaps Dunn was trying to do too much at the plate.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    But anyone that says that Dunn is not overweight, and that being overweight isn't affecting his on-field performance, is not being interllectually honest, in my opinion.
    Anecdotally, McCoy stated last season that Dunn was neither overweight or out of shape(and he gets to "see" him with his clothes off).

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I wonder if his drop in numbers at the end of 2006 had anything at all to do with the fact that the offense had been completely dismantled the previous 4 months (WMP, Kearns, Lopez, Jr. injured again.)
    or maybe it was just a terrible slump and a bad season. Everyone has an opinion on the subject. I think it is safe to say that 2007 will probably go a long way to defining Dunn and will tell a lot about how the rest of his career is likely to go.

I agree that the K's aren't as big of deal as people make them out to be. I also agree that Dunn brings great value to the team that most don't recognize.

Frankly, however, I hope that my superiors at my job (not that Marty is anybody's boss) would have higher expectations for me, than I have for myself. I'd also hope that they would get mad at me when they percieve I can do more with my natural tallents than my current efforts are producing. Therefore, that anybody expects more out of Dunn doesn't anger me. They are paying him the complement of saying, "he's got enough tallent to do more".

You can get hung up on the unrealsitic nature of 50/135. You can have a kneejerk reaction because Marty doesn't pepper his broadcast with stats, or is grumpy or whatever. But the fact of the matter is people see a lot of tallent in Dunn so when they see him sauntering out to his position (which I agree doesn't make one bit of difference but people judge you by what they see), being overweight, not making adjustments, they are going to call him on it.

As far as Marty's opinions swaying the casual fan. Hogwash. The casual fan is going to make these exact same judgements. Why? Because they are casual fans so things like being overweight, how many RBI's are produced, striking out is generally the depth of there understanding of the game. If they had a deeper understanding of the game, they wouldn't be casual fans. Therefore it should suprise no one that the casual fan would use such a measuring stick for Dunn, especially since he's a higher profile player.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-30-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    That's the problem. Some people just aren't happy with what Adam Dunn brings to the table. Some people want Adam Dunn to be Adam Dunn, and Tony Gwynn. He's simply not that kind of ballplayer. If you don't like that, that's fine, and understandable, but then, you wouldn't be appreciating one of the better offensive players the Reds have had in a couple decades. What's so bad about Adam Dunn being Adam Dunn? Last time I checked not a whole lot of Reds had scored 100 runs and driven in nearly 100 runs like Dunn has almost every year. Not many players get on base at the frequency Dunn does. I'm not saying that Adam Dunn is a perfect player, that is by no means the case, but just because the guy doesn't turn into a Judy-hitter with 2 strikes you're going to give up on the guy? Give me a break.
    Thats why I said I like Dunn, but do think he has way more potential then wha the is giving out, and the money players make, think it is thier responsibility to the team to take full advantage and work to bring out the best potential. I dont expect him to be Tony Gwynn, not going to happen, but he could perform much better then he does. Pretty simple. Last time I checked, not many Reds have the potential (key word that Marty was implying) to do more....

Todd Coffey runs to the mound every time he's called upon. It didn't make him a better pitcher than Shoeneweiss or Cormier or Shackelford. It just meant he got to the mound quicker than they did.
    I dont think hustling to your position is going to add points to your batting average, but I recall as a player seeing teammates walk to their position and in a way it sent me a message that if they arent going to give 100% at all times then why should I??

Even as a 38 year old umpire I still hustle on 100% on the field. It may or may not make a difference if I get a safe or out call right but it does send a message to my partner or partners and especially the kids that its important to give 100% at all times on the field.

I just think its a shame players like Dunn cannot be more professional and have this attitude.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 01-30-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    THAT I can totally agree with. At least act like you care.

Howard is aggressive at the plate and looks for pitches to drive. If he goes down swinging he goes down swinging. Dunn, he's confused most of the time. No plan.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I posted a thread in the minor league forums a week or two ago about Jay Bruce. It was the Dayton Dragon's Locker room show where they spoke to Jay Bruce via telephone. Bruce said that in the offseason he has worked out with Adam Dunn. He said that they've worked out (then) the past seven weeks and that Adam Dunn is simply a monster in the weight room. Bruce, I believe is around 6'3" 215-220. He's no small kid. He said that Adam Dunn simply has "natural" strength. He said that Dunn wouldn't even have to try and he could outlift most people. Anway, Bruce said that they have been working out together the past 7 weeks, so Adam has been working out and lifting weights. Just thought I'd let everyone know that if they didn't read that thread. It's not like Adam sits around and eats brats all day and watches TV.
    First let me say that this is the sort of stuff that isn't always readily available to the public. More often then not, you hear about what a player is not doing instead of what he is. I think if Marty had heard this he would be less inclined in his answer to suggest Dunn needs to work out or condition more. Whether or not he did condition last year is all together mute until relative evidence is known. Although, I highly doubt he spent all last off season in front of the tv eating brats and doing nothing else.

I, for one, was a constant Dunn basher on this board for several years. I listened to what Marty had to say then pretty much repeated it on the board. Now, thanks to Redszone I know better than to criticize a player for who he is and what he brings to the table. Not every player can live up to my expectatons for what a "perfect" ballplayer should be. Marty needs to start thinking in the same light.

That being said, Dunn is what he is. He is not going to hit for high average and he is not going to magically cut down on his strikeouts all of a sudden. However, what he does do, far surpasses the negatives of striking out a ton.

We must also remember that Dunn's lack of hustle, running off and on the field, isn't entirely his own fault. If this is something that is important, then it is Jerry's job to make sure he does it. I know you might say, "Well these guys are professionals blah blah blah. But if Jerry is so sensitive about "playing the game the right way" then he needs to get his players to portray it on the field.

Finally and I think rem hit the nail on the head. Dunn is certainly capable of hitting for a higher average .280 and he has had success in the past taking the ball the opposite way. If he really wants to improve his game, he needs to work on these things. I think his mindset is that if he changes his approach he will miss out on the homeruns. However, his brute strength and his awesome eye at the plate will not ever allow him to stop hitting homeruns. He only needs to make minor adjustments like hitting the ball where it is pitched to take it the opposite way or simply choking up on the bat a hair with two strikes. These minor adjustments can help Dunn in the areas hes struggling with now. Let us not forget that Jacoby has worked with Dunn in the past (minor leagues) and had a great deal of success with him. I wouldn't be surprised that if this previous experience with Dunn, didn't propel him above the other candidates. I look forward to see exactly how much Jacoby can help.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Don't forget...Marty is taking about Dunn's potential. Dunn is in the vicinity of 40-100 each year. It is Marty's opinion that he has the potential to go 50-130 each year. Maybe there is a little exaggeration going on, but what's wrong with thinking that he should be in that vicinity?

If it's true that Dunn doesn't really put much effort into his off-season conditioning and training, who's to say that he couldn't add 10 HRs to his yearly stats?

The fact of the matter is that Dunn appeared to be on his way to those levels after the 2004 season. Usually you are entering your prime at his current age. He is headed in the opposite direction.
    Thank you EdAbbs, glad someone gets the point on this!

Finally and I think rem hit the nail on the head. Dunn is certainly capable of hitting for a higher average .280 and he has had success in the past taking the ball the opposite way. If he really wants to improve his game, he needs to work on these things. I think his mindset is that if he changes his approach he will miss out on the homeruns. However, his brute strength and his awesome eye at the plate will not ever allow him to stop hitting homeruns. He only needs to make minor adjustments like hitting the ball where it is pitched to take it the opposite way
    Been saying that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Thank you EdAbbs, glad someone gets the point on this!
    Except Marty doesn't just say he should be there. He says I give up on him.

That speaks volumes to listeners.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I just don't see how anyone can compare 1 great season by Ryan Howard to 1 bad season of Adam Dunn. Even in a bad season, Dunn still out-performed a lot of players. As has already been stated on this thread and many others, Dunn is what he is.

One problem that I have with Marty is that he makes statements without one ounce of time spent in actually trying to figure out if his opinions are based on fact, or if it's all just his perception. The other problem with Marty is that if anyone ever had the guts to present Marty with evidence that he is, in fact, wrong about someone, he blows them off and makes snarky comments about them rather than looking at the evidence and admitting he was wrong.

Add to that the fact that he's so far biased against Dunn that even when Dunn has a "professional" at-bat and does exactly as Marty has called for him to do, Marty has found ways to denigrate Dunn's performance. How many "meaningless" HRs did Dunn hit? Were they "meaningless" because Dunn hit them at the wrong time, or were they "meaningless" because Reds pitching gave up too many runs? Or were they "meaningless" because no one had the decency to get on base in front of Dunn? Or because the rest of the team failed to score runs to make those HRs "meaningful?"

Maybe Dunn and Marty could come to an agreement where Dunn would hustle out to the field if Marty would give some deference and respect to those who offer views supported by evidence that differs from his own and give Dunn props when Dunn's at-bats have a positive outcome.

As for Dunn's defense, I agree with those who believe that his LF defense can be solved by moving him to 1B.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd trade Marty to the Braves for Skip Carrey in a second. Skip is all about chicks and barbeque.

mmmmmmm....barbeque.
    Go to Hooters for the food, eh?

I have just come to expect things like this from Marty, and then smile with shivers and goosebumps when he makes a call like he did for Adam's Walk off GS.

Except Marty doesn't just say he should be there. He says I give up on him.

That speaks volumes to listeners.
    "I am pretty close to giving up on Adam Dunn." No where does he say that he has given up on him.

I think it's funny at times at how this forum shows a level of hatred towards anyone outside of the forum, who shows a strong opinion on something that is not of the majority here. I do not agree at all with Marty's opinion here, but I have no problem with his opinion even though I do not agree with it.

Marty is who is he is at this point. He isn't going to change and he certainly isn't going to subject his perceptions to objective evidence to the contrary. You either live with it or turn off the radio.

Turn Off Ads?