Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pardon me if been discussed...

part of BBN

Pardon me if been discussed...

I've been in and out and not read all the threads lately but what about the freel/deno thing.
    Alot has been said about one of them playing center but let's just focus on the players right now. What is everyone's opinion of the approach going into ST.
    Is the RF/CF job Freel's to lose? Will their be competition for the job ?
    I have not really heard Narron address this specifically.
    I mean if Deno hits .385 in ST and Freel hits .250 , will it be Freel in RF/CF on opening day or can Deno take it?
    Again....sorry if discussed and if it has been ...feel free to link me to a thread...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pardon me if been discussed...

I would hope it is a competition. I think Deno is a better all around ball player than freel. Freel's hustle has enamored him with this city and I find it hard to believe that Narron would sit Freel becaue he is a fan favorite.

I think the OF is a lock, Dunn in LF, JR in CF and Freel in RF. IMHO what happens in ST isn't going to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think the OF is a lock, Dunn in LF, JR in CF and Freel in RF. IMHO what happens in ST isn't going to matter.
    You are probably right. Deno will get some time in CF and RF to spell Junior and Freel but I think your starting three will be Narron's starting three come opening day.

From strictly an opinion standpoint, I would think Freel to be close to a lock. However a blatant performance advantage displayed in ST by Deno could certainly change things, knowing the general sentiment that Freel would "still get his ABs" in as all-around utility role. At this point I am not sure when Deno could offer that Freel cannot in the OF, beside possibly more durability.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I agree, I think the outfield is Dunn in left, Griffey in center and Freel in right. Obviously, they might not be at the best positions for them(Griffey) but this is probably the way it will play out. I would like to see more of Denorfia, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    I agree, I think the outfield is Dunn in left, Griffey in center and Freel in right. Obviously, they might not be at the best positions for them(Griffey) but this is probably the way it will play out. I would like to see more of Denorfia, though.
    I've seen enough of Deno to know I would rather see someone like Hopper in the lineup than him. He hasn't really shown me anything to really think he is going to ever do any damage in the big leagues. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I've seen enough of Deno to know I would rather see someone like Hopper in the lineup than him. He hasn't really shown me anything to really think he is going to ever do any damage in the big leagues. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I just don't see it.
    You lost me at "Hopper".

I think you have to give him a shot. Deno has hit every where. After a very poor season up to September, Deno finally got in a groove and was the only one that hit in the last month.

.352 Avg, .407 obp, .463 slg, .870 OPS in 54 AB's.

I'm not saying he is a starter, because I just about give that roll to Freel as a lock. But Deno deserves some time.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Yep...Freel usually gets his DUI after the team gets back from ST.

It's a competition but Freel has a significant head start. Deno is going to need to have a solid spring to be thought of as anything but a 4th OF, which is sad. I'm just waiting for the trade in June when he gets sent somewhere for an A ball starter and turns in to an .800 OPS gold glove CF elsewhere. Shortly thereafter, Ryan Freel breaks something giving Jeff Conine and Josh Hamilton significant at bats in RF while Junior moves back to CF...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You lost me at "Hopper".
    Hopper has shown me more at the plate than Deno has so far. Granted his sample size is much smaller, 39 ABs vs 149 ABs, but his BA is 80 points higher and his OPS is about 300 points higher. I believe he also won the AAA batting title didn't he? It seems like the guy just knows how to hit.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    At this point I am not sure when Deno could offer that Freel cannot in the OF, beside possibly more durability.
    I think that Deno offers more upside than Freel. Deno has hit everywhere, including with some power. It's not impossible that he could bring a .280-.300 average, with 15 HR's and good OB ability. Add in good speed, and a good glove and range , and you have a pretty good CF.

Hopper has shown me more at the plate than Deno has so far. Granted his sample size is much smaller, 39 ABs vs 149 ABs, but his BA is 80 points higher and his OPS is about 300 points higher. I believe he also won the AAA batting title didn't he? It seems like the guy just knows how to hit.
    The guy has a career minor league OPS of .682.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    The guy has a career minor league OPS of .682.
    I didn't look at his minor league stats so I didn't realize it was so low.

Turn Off Ads?