Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pardon me if been discussed...

Re: Pardon me if been discussed...

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Hopper has shown me more at the plate than Deno has so far. Granted his sample size is much smaller, 39 ABs vs 149 ABs, but his BA is 80 points higher and his OPS is about 300 points higher. I believe he also won the AAA batting title didn't he? It seems like the guy just knows how to hit.
    Norris Hopper, 28
    Minors: 3,617 PA, .290/.345/.337, 190/252 SB, 4 years in AA or higher
    Majors: 45 PA, .359/.435/.462
    PECOTA 2007 Weighted Mean Projection: .270/.312/.313, -10.4 VORP, 1.6 WARP

Chris Denorfia, 27
    Minors: 2,257 PA, .296/.377/.441, 80/110 SB, 2.5 years in AA or higher
    Majors: 161 PA, .278/.358/.382
    PECOTA 2007 Weighted Mean Projection: .296/.365/.459, 22.9 VORP, 3.8 WARP

I'll let you come to your own conclusions, but people smarter than me think Denorfia should be an above average major league CF offensively in 2007. His minor league track record supports it and he was very good at the end of 2006 when he got regular playing time. He was voted the best defensive OF in AAA.

Norris Hopper had 45 PA with a BABIP of .389. A small sample size in which he was lucky. He has 1 HR in 45 PA in the majors -- 3 in 3,600 PA in the minors. Nothing besides a miniscule sample of major league at bats suggests he's anything other than a Tony Womack like offensive player without the speed of Womack in his prime.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't look at his minor league stats so I didn't realize it was so low.
    He's a BA driven player that has ZERO power and can't take a walk. I'd definitely pass on Norris Hopper as anything more than a fifth outfielder.

Looking at the stats I realize I may have jumped to conclusions on Hopper. I can't believe Hopper only hit 3 HRs in 9 years in the minors. I knew Deno was the better prospect and projected better but I just hadn't seen anything out of him yet besides the end of last season. I will gladly retract my original statement and go take my dumbarse pills.
    Last edited by justincredible; 01-31-2007 at 01:47 PM.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You are probably right. Deno will get some time in CF and RF to spell Junior and Freel but I think your starting three will be Narron's starting three come opening day.
    Wouldn't it be great if Dunner could/would be able to play first base. Deno in left, Freel in center, and Griffey in right.

I believe he also won the AAA batting title didn't he?
    Yes he did at .347. It's worth noting though that Denorfia hit .349, he just didn't have enough at bats to qualify for the title.

What people tend to remember about freel are the great catches that he makes in the outfield. I have to admit I was at the Cards game when he made the catch in RF and it was one of the greatest catches I have ever seeen. What people fail to remember is all the balls he has played wrong. The remember how he steals so many bases and how fast he is. What they dont remember is how man times he gets picked off base. How many times he gets caught steeling. How many times he gets caught trying to streatch a single into a double. For my money give me Deno in the outfield.

Turn Off Ads?